Thread Closed

BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger

(27-08-2022, 09:57 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(27-08-2022, 09:52 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I think that would require a second staffed studio. Presenters are a fraction of the overall cost they are looking to save.

Excellent point - hadn't thought of that. I still think they should do more to preserve UK news as best they can, though I realise that is much easier said than done. As has already been suggested here and at the old place, I do suspect that the One team will ultimately stay on through the afternoon, and that will be spun as 'saving the News Channel'.

Yep, I think the best hope of maintaining some UK-only news coverage is through them utilising the network teams and merging them with the funding and staff set aside for the supposed optional opt-out. You might be able to get away with a UK back-half once- or twice-a-day (when World show HARDtalk or have them throw to Sport), but doing it frequently would be more logistically difficult and costly. Plus you still have the editorial problems of a World-dominated front-half on a day like today.

There are some other domestic teams - regional news and Millbank - that could also be better utilised, but that feels like more of a long shot. But the point is, there are options.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(27-08-2022, 06:26 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Crikey! Take a breath young man! Nothing is set I stone. The following months will be 90% full of UK politics so I’d be astounded if this merge even happened at all. UK Politics has never been so Alive and I therefore cannot see any change for at least 3 months in such time - they’ll have enough to prove.

There’s far, far more turbulent political situations across the world that most people in the UK don’t care about. Most people around the world don’t care about UK politics, they’re interested in the political situation in their own country. 

Of course, many people care about semi-significant events from around the world. That’s what international news channels are for. They righty exist, but they should exist alongside news channels with a focus on their country of origin.
[-] The following 5 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • ALV, bkman1990, itsrobert, Ma76, Stuart

Nicky Campbell's phone-in was broadcast on the News Channel this morning, as a 'Your Questions answered' phone in with Kier Starmer.

Available to watch here: www.bbc.co.uk 

And the full 9 - 10am hour is available until tomorrow morning on iPlayer.

If this was a trial run, I'd say don't bother and stick with 2 hours of World News every morning 9 - 11am on the new channel from April. Radio phone-ins do not work on TV news channels.

This seems to be the same format and look as previous interviews they did, back when Emma Barnett was still on Five Live. I'm not sure a permanent slot would look quite that ramshackle.

It's not a new idea, of course. Robin Day was doing Election Call phone ins on Radio 4 and BBC1 in the 80s. I can't remember but I suspect from a radio studio because TV studios sound rubbish on the radio.

A brilliant read into the apparent goings on at BBC News. It’s the Times so may well be pay-walled. Happy to C&P if permitted,

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fear-and-loathing-inside-the-bbc-after-emily-maitlis-broadside-exposes-a-divided-news-room-9n9fbgt2h

(02-09-2022, 05:43 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  A brilliant read into the apparent goings on at BBC News. It’s the Times so may well be pay-walled. Happy to C&P if permitted,

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fear-and-loathing-inside-the-bbc-after-emily-maitlis-broadside-exposes-a-divided-news-room-9n9fbgt2h

Please don’t copy and paste - journalism needs to be paid for and the Times’ model is subscription.

Thanks for pointing it out though. I’ll give it a read.
[-] The following 2 users Like chris's post:
  • Admin PC, Newsroom

(02-09-2022, 11:16 PM)chris Wrote:  
(02-09-2022, 05:43 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  A brilliant read into the apparent goings on at BBC News. It’s the Times so may well be pay-walled. Happy to C&P if permitted,

Please don’t copy and paste - journalism needs to be paid for and the Times’ model is subscription.

Thanks for pointing it out though. I’ll give it a read.

A very valid point, acknowledged.

But if you could give a brief summary of the main points that would be appreciated

(03-09-2022, 10:04 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  But if you could give a brief summary of the main points that would be appreciated

In essence: 

• News is not a happy place. Arrival of Deborah is being heralded as a ‘moment’ but facing an uphill battle from the start 

• Industrial relations are at an all time low, and the latest round of VR has been far too successful 

• Huw is the latest to let it be known he’s not a happy camper — and could walk 

• News Channel/World merger is seen internally as a downgrade in terms of output (because, it is, but also facing a budgetary wipeout) 

• Tensions behind the scenes at The Today Programme are starting to boil over (Mishal and Amol clash over the role of the presenter and not drinking on the job). 

Lots of the article is in the public domain but it presents a damning picture as the new ‘CEO’ is about to board.
[-] The following 4 users Like Matrix's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Steve in Pudsey, UTVLifer
Thread Closed