ITN Nostalgia

Nice find, Bilky. Although, based on the actual events contained in the clip, it would seem (according to the comments on YouTube) that the broadcast was actually earlier than 19th June.

The music, the story and the yellow ITN astons, not to mention Dickie Davies at the end, bring back so many memories.

(26-09-2023, 06:07 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Nice find, Bilky. Although, based on the actual events contained in the clip, it would seem (according to the comments on YouTube) that the broadcast was actually earlier than 19th June.

The music, the story and the yellow ITN astons, not to mention Dickie Davies at the end, bring back so many memories.

Two of the suggested dates in the comments can't possibly be correct - one is before the footage's dates, and neither are a Saturday, which is when this edition was shown.

From what I can discern, the date in the title is correct. In any case, it is definitely later than the previously found clip.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • JamesWorldNews

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that bulletin was the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of Non-Stop. How anyone could think it was appropriate is beyond me!
[-] The following 4 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • bilky asko, chrisherald, Roger Darthwell, Spencer

That jolly music with those pictures, you'd think it was a parody if you didn't know otherwise!
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald

I suppose it depends on what you’re used to.

I grew up with that music as the ITN News theme, so to me it doesn’t sound jolly at all, it’s authoritative. Especially when one mentally links it with the end of the same piece that’s used for the closing titles. To me, it isn’t inappropriate at all.

A rare glimpse of 'Reporting 67' (formerly ITN Reports) - infact, one of the final editions from June 1967.

This was one of the two ITN programmes, alongside the nightly 'Dateline', which were replaced by News at Ten.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001, Roger Darthwell

Dateline and Reporting ... were used by ITN for stories which they simply didn't have time for in their daily news bulletins - before 1967, news bulletins on ITV were never longer than 15 minutes (15 minutes on ITV back then used to mean 13 minutes, to squeeze in trailers or ads)

Not so much for stories they didn't have time for, more like in-depth current affairs treatment.

Found an example of Dateline - this one about pirate radio.

www.youtube.com 

Unlike its sister programme, it was only part-networked. According to one website, it had actually started out as a local news bulletin (London-only) for Rediffusion before other regions picked it up.

www.78rpm.co.uk 

(17-10-2023, 11:33 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Not so much for stories they didn't have time for, more like in-depth current affairs treatment.

Found an example of Dateline - this one about pirate radio.

www.youtube.com 

Unlike its sister programme, it was only part-networked. According to one website, it had actually started out as a local news bulletin (London-only) for Rediffusion before other regions picked it up.

www.78rpm.co.uk 

Local news programming for London at that time was virtually non existent, so having this helped to make it look like they were doing a bit for local news but like the BBC at the time, both channels ignored local news in London for many years - really only until 1977 when Thames launched their proper Thames News service did ITV London get proper local news - BBC waited even longer until 1984 when they launched London Plus - BBC were happy to palm off local news for London/SE to Nationwide for around 14 years.

Another behind-the-scenes documentary from 1983. 

This one offering an interesting perspective on how ITN crews - led by Jeremy Thompson and Ray Moloney - covered the kidnapping of Shergar.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Roger Darthwell