ITN Nostalgia

Well the two desks are opposite each other and they've often used the smaller desk for shorter bulletins and the main Lunchtime News too, so I don't think there is much to read into there.

(03-12-2023, 12:16 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Considering MPs presenting "the news" was something we never thought we'd see just a few years ago the possibility of William and Kate fronting a news bulletin in the near future doesn't sound that far fetched.
The King could revive his weather presenting skills…

youtu.be 
[-] The following 4 users Like Spencer's post:
  • DE88, Roger Darthwell, TVFan, Yorksman

(03-12-2023, 09:11 AM)mrarg1393 Wrote:  Seen as the weekend bulletins have been coming from the “small desk” so far, it suggests they are doing some work to the main studio - either for Tom Bradbury’s new ITVX News show, or we might be seeing a new look for ITV News from tomorrow. 

That’s what I think he means.
No imminent changes in the main studio (as far as I'm aware). Tom's ITVX show is planned to come from the new 'newsroom studio' assuming all final work is complete. Have seen some of the rehearsal and all seemed to go smoothly, so one would suspect its first use will come this week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newsjunkie's post:
  • freeview87

Bit of a weird Weekend News bulletin from the Festive Period in 2002. I don't remember the opening titles or credits being curtailed much in this era? Had a previous programme overran and they were trying to save time? youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JLav25's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(14-12-2023, 12:38 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  Bit of a weird Weekend News bulletin from the Festive Period in 2002. I don't remember the opening titles or credits being curtailed much in this era? Had a previous programme overran and they were trying to save time? youtu.be 

It was a very short bulletin, so the shortened intro was used.

Today is the 35th anniversary of the Lockerbie bombing here is ITN's coverage
First newsflash from ITN with Sandy Gall
www.youtube.com 

Channel 4 News report with Peter Sissons
www.youtube.com 

ITN News Report with Alastair Stewart
www.youtube.com 

The first 20 minutes from that evening's News at Ten
www.youtube.com 

Further ITN newsflashes
www.youtube.com 

Was Alastair on the telephone during News at Ten how he genuinely communicated with the reporter or just for show?

Neil's uploaded one of the overnight summaries as seen on Granada - with some scenes you may find quite harrowing.

Probably the first time ITN's overnight service really came into its own, after the gradual roll-out of 24-hour broadcasting across the network.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

25 years tonight since perhaps one of the biggest misfires for British television, as the original News at Ten finished it's run.

What followed of course was sheer desperation from ITV to fill the slot. That extra hour just seemed to be whatever they had sitting around. Films, long dramas and repeats of Tarrant on TV (that show having took Spitting Image's place of the flagship “adults only comedy show” by that point) to try and compete with They Think It's All Over which was making waves in the 10pm slot on the Beeb. Oh and that Mr & Mrs revival with Julian Clary, which died fast.

Plus it was what led to the BBC moving their news from 9pm to 10pm, and ITV losing their crown for having the most watched daily news bulletin. It was certainly a dark time for the network, especially after a good end to 1998 with WWTBAM? and the rebrand.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 3 users Like ACTV's post:
  • JMT1985, LondonViewer, Stuart

Still baffles me the hoops ITV had to jump through to move their news compared to the BBC who did it with just two weeks notice. Losing that advantage at 9pm hurt ITV than their own news woes.

There is much discussed about how the changes impacted late nights on ITV but much less said about early evenings, partly I guess as the Evening News launching was somewhat successful, though at the cost perhaps of the regional content, especially the regions that had hour long bulletins or additional regional shows in the 6.30pm hour. Home and Away also hurt in the regions where it moved from 6pm to 5.05pm, although ultimately ITV lost that due to C5 being willing to commit to a lifelong deal rather than being outbid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • JMT1985