ITN Nostalgia

(11-01-2023, 03:21 AM)thegeek Wrote:  
(14-12-2022, 07:24 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  An ITV News bulletin on this day in 2003, when Saddam Hussein was captured

www.youtube.com 

And from the same channel, Ian McCaskill's final forecast

youtu.be 

I think his last actual tv weather forecasting appearance was as a freelance stand-in at GMTV?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecortina's post:
  • watchingtv

On this day in 2013, the last edition from November 2009 set

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yorksman's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(13-01-2023, 04:36 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  On this day in 2013, the last edition from November 2009 set

www.youtube.com 

I rather liked that look - although it didn’t work too well for the regions. It was quite old fashioned in a way - no major gimmicks and with quite a serious tone.

(13-01-2023, 05:32 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(13-01-2023, 04:36 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  On this day in 2013, the last edition from November 2009 set

www.youtube.com 

I rather liked that look - although it didn’t work too well for the regions. It was quite old fashioned in a way - no major gimmicks and with quite a serious tone.

It was great. I still think it looks better than what is used today, which just feels insipid to me.

Looks good visually and the music and tone are authoritative in a way News at Ten has so often not been since they first dropped the original arrangement of the theme.

Sorry to sound miserable but I hated that dingy grey/yellow/black look. The set was too abstract and expansive for my liking. Some elements were beyond parody - the on-screen graphics were laughably huge and the dual-headed bulletins had that strange opening with one newscaster stood miles away from the desk. I guess It didn't help that that relaunch coincided with a doubling down of the Deborah Turness-era "human" approach. The 2013 look was a breath of fresh air by comparison!
[-] The following 8 users Like chevron's post:
  • chaose, chris, eyeTV, itsrobert, Larry the Loafer, Newsroom, Stuart, western

ITV News at Ten from on this day 10 years ago:
www.youtube.com 
  • Roger Darthwell

(13-01-2023, 08:45 PM)chevron Wrote:  Sorry to sound miserable but I hated that dingy grey/yellow/black look. The set was too abstract and expansive for my liking. Some elements were beyond parody - the on-screen graphics were laughably huge and the dual-headed bulletins had that strange opening with one newscaster stood miles away from the desk. I guess It didn't help that that relaunch coincided with a doubling down of the Deborah Turness-era "human" approach. The 2013 look was a breath of fresh air by comparison!
I can't find them now but there were some great images made of this set with double yellow lines - traffic mock up.

This came up on my YouTube earlier:

www.youtube.com 

Can we go back to this, please? Short, sharp bongs - NOT the rambling bongs with a SOT for every headline that we have now. I know it's a worldwide trend - but can just one broadcaster PLEASE buck the trend? They're called headlines for a reason.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kojak's post:
  • chevron, Pip, Pips2022, Stuart

ITN News at Ten from the day John Smith died (12th May 1994):
www.youtube.com 
  • Roger Darthwell

1994 was the year News at Ten moved out of their newsroom based set as shown here, and move into the basement studio at ITN. The move to the basement studio would occur by early September 1994.