ITN Nostalgia

I remember an old topic of discussion on the blue place: did Trevor McDonald ever do a news summary? Well, here he is, hosting the 3pm update during his Evening News stint:

youtu.be 

A rare clip of Alastair Burnett presenting the News At 545 with a rather striking purple background:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • itsrobert, JamesWorldNews

(20-04-2023, 09:21 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  A rare clip of Alastair Burnett presenting the News At 545 with a rather striking purple background:
www.youtube.com 
I noticed that every expense was spared on the titles for the following regional programme 'Report West'. I think HTV may have been saving up for an autocue for the studio presenters.

(22-04-2023, 08:16 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(20-04-2023, 09:21 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  A rare clip of Alastair Burnett presenting the News At 545 with a rather striking purple background:
www.youtube.com 
I noticed that every expense was spared on the titles for the following regional programme 'Report West'. I think HTV may have been saving up for an autocue for the studio presenters.

Regional news programmes really were the poor relation of the network news until the late 1980's.

(22-04-2023, 07:53 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  
(22-04-2023, 08:16 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I noticed that every expense was spared on the titles for the following regional programme 'Report West'. I think HTV may have been saving up for an autocue for the studio presenters.

Regional news programmes really were the poor relation of the network news until the late 1980's.
It may depend where you were in the country.

I don’t recall early eighties Granada Reports ever looking poor. Interestingly Wales at Six on HTV Wales always looked fine as well (I could get both).
Or maybe I was young and easily impressed!

(22-04-2023, 08:09 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  
(22-04-2023, 07:53 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Regional news programmes really were the poor relation of the network news until the late 1980's.
It may depend where you were in the country.

I don’t recall early eighties Granada Reports ever looking poor. Interestingly Wales at Six on HTV Wales always looked fine as well (I could get both).
Or maybe I was young and easily impressed!

Calendar seemed a bit ramshackle to me until the twin hexagonal desk era:

www.youtube.com 

(1 minute in)

That full screen chromakey background seemed popular at the time, I’ve seen clips of Thames News using it as well, where picture or video to illustrate the story takes up the entire background behind the presenter

Using new technology because it was new and they could presumably

An interesting one from 2003, in a ITV News brodcast without a voiceover. My guess (as I've said it the YT comments already) is that is was just after Alistair Stewart had rejoined ITN and they had yet to record a VO for him, but I'd have thought they would have had one from the 90's they could have spliced for use. www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JLav25's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

I wouldn't have thought so as he left ITN in 1992 so there wouldn't have been any ITV News branded voiceovers with his name on. I would have though they would have a generic presenter-less one though, e.g. "From ITN, this is an ITV News Special".

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(24-04-2023, 02:49 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  An interesting one from 2003, in a ITV News brodcast without a voiceover. My guess (as I've said it the YT comments already) is that is was just after Alistair Stewart had rejoined ITN and they had yet to record a VO for him, but I'd have thought they would have had one from the 90's they could have spliced for use. www.youtube.com 
Could be a simple fault for that bulletin.