Newsnight

(04-11-2022, 11:39 AM)Matrix Wrote:  I take the point but wonder if the counter argument, that news happens everywhere, and it's a question of demonstrating that the BBC is a truly UK wide organisation, has some merit here. In theory, it should be able to pick up a story from any location and cover it with the same level of depth and breadth. Conversely, the same rubric could be applied. Why, when in London, isn't there a focus on local, London issues? Just a thought but important I think as the BBC tries to counter the argument that it's London centric.

I can sort of understand this angle, but I just think that by coming from other cities without any real reason just makes it seem far more gimmicky than a genuine attempt to explore news from across the UK. Coming from a rather non-descript location in Cardiff and talking about an event happening in England rather than any Welsh issues just means that the 'from Cardiff' element feels like a box-ticking exercise meant to count towards some quota.

If this is to continue, it would be better for them to use their trips to other parts of the country to explore issues affecting that area - e.g. 'we're in Cardiff, so we're looking at the main issues in Welsh politics'. One of the big criticisms of the BBC's UK-wide news coverage is the fact it has a tendency to overlook devolution. I would argue UK-wide programming engaging with devolved institutions is a greater demonstration of not being London-centric than doing the same running order that you'd be doing if you were in London.

(04-11-2022, 11:59 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(04-11-2022, 11:39 AM)Matrix Wrote:  I take the point but wonder if the counter argument, that news happens everywhere, and it's a question of demonstrating that the BBC is a truly UK wide organisation, has some merit here. In theory, it should be able to pick up a story from any location and cover it with the same level of depth and breadth. Conversely, the same rubric could be applied. Why, when in London, isn't there a focus on local, London issues? Just a thought but important I think as the BBC tries to counter the argument that it's London centric.

I can sort of understand this angle, but I just think that by coming from other cities without any real reason just makes it seem far more gimmicky than a genuine attempt to explore news from across the UK. Coming from a rather non-descript location in Cardiff and talking about an event happening in England rather than any Welsh issues just means that the 'from Cardiff' element feels like a box-ticking exercise meant to count towards some quota.

If this is to continue, it would be better for them to use their trips to other parts of the country to explore issues affecting that area - e.g. 'we're in Cardiff, so we're looking at the main issues in Welsh politics'. One of the big criticisms of the BBC's UK-wide news coverage is the fact it has a tendency to overlook devolution. I would argue UK-wide programming engaging with devolved institutions is a greater demonstration of not being London-centric than doing the same running order that you'd be doing if you were in London.
Yeah, I think that’s a really fair point. 

I agree, incidentally, about the point on the location when using Cardiff. I always think it looks a little like someone hasn’t quite made it to the studio so they’re hosting it outside in the corridor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matrix's post:
  • DTV

Tonight’s edition of Newsnight is from Salford, with a story on the state of rail services in the North:

twitter.com 

On nights when the Ten is delayed they should really delay Newsnight as well, as surely few watch it when it part clashes with the Ten

(29-11-2022, 11:24 PM)Andrew Wrote:  On nights when the Ten is delayed they should really delay Newsnight as well, as surely few watch it when it part clashes with the Ten
They did, by 15 mins.

It’s coming from Salford tonight and focussing on the Northern Rail shambles. Studio looks so good lit in Newsnight colours. 

And unlike the last time it used the same studio, it looks like they have guests.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • UTVLifer

Noticed some minor presentational tweaks to Newsnight. Kirsty and Nick discussed the first item seated on chairs in front of the Newsnight wall, rather than at the desk. There's was also a coming up strap in the top right corner of the screen towards the end of the first item.
[-] The following 7 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, CF1, Moz, Newsroom, Superman1986, UTVLifer

Am I the only person who's finding Newsnight's super casual references to its correspondents by first name only a little ridiculous?

If you're a regular viewer then sure it might work for a while, but for anyone dipping in and out it must be annoying when pres refers to an a reports as 'Here's Nick' 'Ben reporting there' - or as is the reason for my post - 'Joe reports'! - I watch most nights and I can't recall Joe? Didn't even catch Joe's last name coming out of the report on Tanks.

Not sure it works or adds value, not unless you're an avid viewer or work for the show.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

Yes it’s a similar story on ITV News at Ten. ‘Dan will be here with more’. At best it’s “which Dan?” but is more likely “who’s Dan?”
[-] The following 3 users Like chris's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom, UTVLifer

If you don't know Dan though you likely don't know Dan Rivers (if I've got the right Dan), so it makes little difference to the average viewer.

(26-01-2023, 12:32 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  If you don't know Dan though you likely don't know Dan Rivers (if I've got the right Dan), so it makes little difference to the average viewer.

There’s a Dan Hewitt. That’s my point.
[-] The following 2 users Like chris's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie