Newsnight

Mark Urban is leaving the BBC at the end of May and that’s when Newsnight in its current format will end

x.com 
[-] The following 8 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Jayesyn, News76, Omnipresent, RhysJR, Stuart, TVFan

I thought Newsnight had already become just some talking heads without any sort of investigative journalism.

If it's pared back any further it may as well just be a five minute late night news bulletin.

Not like there are any major news events coming up this year in which it'd be great for the level of analysis offered by the BBC to be greater than another panel of f****** opinion columnists.

The changes to Newsnight are frankly emblematic of the direction of BBC News, particularly on television, over the last few years - a loss of talent, a loss of a purpose, a loss of quality, a loss of variety and, most importantly, the loss of something with genuine public service value in favour of this near-universal dreck of a format that provides nothing but appearance fees to an overly small crowd of predictable rent-a-gobs. A BBC News that would lose somebody like Mark Urban so that they can put on an evening Politics Live is a BBC News in a very bad place.

I wonder if the BBC expected the general election would be the day of the local and mayoral elections so then Newsnight could be revamped afterwards without Kirsty Wark. Now she presumably staying for the first few months of the revamp until the election per her retirement announcement.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • AJB39, UTVLifer

(14-04-2024, 10:49 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Mark Urban is leaving the BBC at the end of May and that’s when Newsnight in its current format will end

x.com 

Didn't the BBC say they were only going to change the format after the election? unless they also expected that to happen in may?
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • Newshound47, UTVLifer

(14-04-2024, 12:45 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Didn't the BBC say they were only going to change the format after the election? unless they also expected that to happen in may?

I think it’s just that Kirsty Wark won’t step down until after the election.
[-] The following 2 users Like chris's post:
  • RhysJR, Stuart

(14-04-2024, 12:03 PM)DTV Wrote:  Not like there are any major news events coming up this year in which it'd be great for the level of analysis offered by the BBC to be greater than another panel of f****** opinion columnists.

The changes to Newsnight are frankly emblematic of the direction of BBC News, particularly on television, over the last few years - a loss of talent, a loss of a purpose, a loss of quality, a loss of variety and, most importantly, the loss of something with genuine public service value in favour of this near-universal dreck of a format that provides nothing but appearance fees to an overly small crowd of predictable rent-a-gobs. A BBC News that would lose somebody like Mark Urban so that they can put on an evening Politics Live is a BBC News in a very bad place.

I can’t remember the last time I watched the news channel, whereas pre-merge it was often on in the background or I’d watch it when having lunch. I also hardly use the news app either since the changes as it’s a massive step backwards.

As said earlier, it feels very much like they saw that 100days and outside source did well and decided to try and make the whole day like it but it doesn’t work.

They really need to look again at the structure of an hour. As a viewer, I found the old structure back in the early days where it’s much snappier and more stories covered. One thing I’ve also missed is the interviews with a MP in the afternoon. It was an opportunity for ministers to be held to account and get beyond rhe sound bites which you get in packages. News at 1, 6 and 10 havent the time to do this whereas the news channel could.

It all comes back to a problem I think the bbc has at the moment. It seems to insist on trying to be the same as other broadcasters when it should be aiming to offer something different. It does feel like bbc news have lost their way at the moment. It can’t all be blamed on funding. Some of it has been decisions made .

(14-04-2024, 12:03 PM)DTV Wrote:  Not like there are any major news events coming up this year in which it'd be great for the level of analysis offered by the BBC to be greater than another panel of f****** opinion columnists.

I can’t remember the last time I watched the news channel, whereas pre-merge it was often on in the background or I’d watch it when having lunch. I also hardly use the news app either since the changes as it’s a massive step backwards.

As said earlier, it feels very much like they saw that 100days and outside source did well and decided to try and make the whole day like it but it doesn’t work.

They really need to look again at the structure of an hour. As a viewer, I found the old structure back in the early days where it’s much snappier and more stories covered. One thing I’ve also missed is the interviews with a MP in the afternoon. It was an opportunity for ministers to be held to account and get beyond rhe sound bites which you get in packages. News at 1, 6 and 10 havent the time to do this whereas the news channel could.

It all comes back to a problem I think the bbc has at the moment. It seems to insist on trying to be the same as other broadcasters when it should be aiming to offer something different. It does feel like bbc news have lost their way at the moment. It can’t all be blamed on funding. Some of it has been decisions made .

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 4 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, DTV, Frances, GeekyJames

If the current Iran-Israel spat continues, there might be some last minute studio changes for Newsnight.

On Saturday, Persian TV stayed on air in 54D until 11pm, then stayed on air most of the night from various green screen and radio studios.

Obviously if it had been a weekday, Newsnight would have had to move somewhere else.
[-] The following 3 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • AndrewP, Frances, UTVLifer

(15-04-2024, 07:30 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Obviously if it had been a weekday, Newsnight would have had to move somewhere else.
Haven't Newsnight easily decamped to Studio L in the past, taking with them the purple stretch sofa covers made by someone's Nan?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • UTVLifer

(15-04-2024, 09:02 AM)Stuart Wrote:  Haven't Newsnight easily decamped to Studio L in the past, taking with them the purple stretch sofa covers made by someone's Nan?

AIUI, Studio L is now decommissioned.

Likely stand in is Studio K.
[-] The following 2 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • Stuart, UTVLifer