Newsnight

Newsnight would flop on BBC1. It’s not a massively mainstream programme.

If you want a surefire way to kill BBC Two's primetime audience, it'll be moving Newsnight to 8pm. Likewise with moving it to BBC One.
[-] The following 3 users Like XIII's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, Jeff

The one channel change I could see working both in terms of boosting numbers and lowering the budget, is moving Newsnight to BBC One, but only airing Monday to Wednesday

Overlapping the end of the Ten and the regions must harm it, clashing with Question Time must do as well.

And surely only the most die hard news junkie wants news and analysis at 10:30pm on a Friday night

If a 3 day week was too much of a cut introduce a short lived “Newsnight Weekend” somewhere on Saturday or Sunday that is subsequently quietly axed when the dust settles
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • Jon

(28-01-2023, 12:16 PM)XIII Wrote:  If you want a surefire way to kill BBC Two's primetime audience, it'll be moving Newsnight to 8pm. Likewise with moving it to BBC One.
If you were moving it earlier, it'd make more sense to move it to 19:00, which is pretty much a dead hour on BBC Two most nights, but that would put it into competition with Channel 4 News and would be more difficult from a technical perspective (Studio's B and 54D are both unavailable).

(28-01-2023, 12:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Overlapping the end of the Ten and the regions must harm it, clashing with Question Time must do as well.

Why do we have to save Question Time over Newsnight - 5 minutes of Newsnight has more value than a whole year of Question Time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • msim

(28-01-2023, 12:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The one channel change I could see working both in terms of boosting numbers and lowering the budget, is moving Newsnight to BBC One, but only airing Monday to Wednesday

Overlapping the end of the Ten and the regions must harm it, clashing with Question Time must do as well.

And surely only the most die hard news junkie wants news and analysis at 10:30pm on a Friday night

If a 3 day week was too much of a cut introduce a short lived “Newsnight Weekend” somewhere on Saturday or Sunday that is subsequently quietly axed when the dust settles

If you were trying to avoid an overlap with Question Time I wonder would moving the Thursday edition of Newsnight to after Question Time on BBC One be an option? It could perhaps be a shorter half hour edition and then as you suggest drop the Friday edition on BBC Two.

(28-01-2023, 01:23 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(28-01-2023, 12:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Overlapping the end of the Ten and the regions must harm it, clashing with Question Time must do as well.

Why do we have to save Question Time over Newsnight - 5 minutes of Newsnight has more value than a whole year of Question Time.
Well that’s a personal opinion rather than some quantifiable fact. I guess even if you hate Question Time you’d have to agree it would depend which 5 minutes of Newsnight you take. 

I think the point is the audiences for both programmes would in theory be similar so it would sensible to not schedule them against each other and save for the production costs of a one night of Newsnight.

(28-01-2023, 05:03 PM)Jon Wrote:  Well that’s a personal opinion rather than some quantifiable fact. I guess even if you hate Question Time you’d have to agree it would depend which 5 minutes of Newsnight you take. 

I think the point is the audiences for both programmes would in theory be similar so it would sensible to not schedule them against each other and save for the production costs of a one night of Newsnight.
I guess a fair trade would be five minutes where Newsnight fell off air or accidentally broadcast some drying concrete - those are both things with greater public service value than a programme than has devolved into The Jeremy Kyle Show for politicos. I do wonder how much of an overlap there actually is between Newsnight and Question Time's audience - I mean, one is reasoned political analysis and the other is very much the opposite.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • Moz, msim, Stuart

Question Time is like a really bad televised phone in. I don’t want to hear what some random person off the street says. I want carefully chosen experts as I get on Newsnight.

I really can’t see any cross over in audience.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

Mild amusement on Newsnight just now as Lord Baker’s mobile kept going off during an interview and Victoria had to keep rejecting the calls for him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom