Newsnight

Victoria Derbyshire confirmed on Twitter/X that Faisal Islam and Nick Watt are staying with Newsnight after the revamp:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, Michael 18, Reith85, UTVLifer

I wonder what they will do. I assumed they would only be one staffer on each episode with the rest being invited guests.

(17-04-2024, 11:12 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  I wonder what they will do. I assumed they would only be one staffer on each episode with the rest being invited guests.

Mark Urban was often a cover presenter, so Nick could fill there? Especially with Kirsty leaving in the next 12 months. Faisal has a wider role within BBC News, so will only be hosting on the odd occasion either way.

In the long term, you would have to imagine Nick being the favourite next time the Chief Correspondent or either editor title comes up, and to move on from Newsnight.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Stuart, UTVLifer

A minor point, but last night Newsnight were discussing the current shenanigans in the UK Parliament, but for some reason decided to use the Scottish version of the King's Cypher (Scottish Crown instead of Tudor Crown). Perhaps they didn't understand the difference.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • chrisherald

I noticed this caption at the end of the Newsnight credits on Wednesday. I'm sure I've not seen it before.

As their annual budget is about to be slashed to £1.50, they're now asking the viewers to provide the stories for their 'Poundland version' of the programme. Confused

[-] The following 5 users Like Stuart's post:
  • ACTV, chrisherald, DeMarkay, harshy, UTVLifer

Looks like Mark Urban has presented his last Newsnight tonight ahead of his departure from the BBC at end of May. His closing words "from me goodnight it's been a pleasure" seems like a sign off. Sad to see another experienced journalist leaving as they downgrade the programme.
[-] The following 5 users Like MLehon's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, Happy2001, JMT1985, RhysJR

Newsnight will simply become an extended News at Ten - why not merge the two shows and put out a one hour news programme on BBC One - free up 10.30pm on BBC 2 maybe for late night comedy

(10-05-2024, 11:08 PM)MLehon Wrote:  Looks like Mark Urban has presented his last Newsnight tonight ahead of his departure from the BBC at end of May. His closing words "from me goodnight it's been a pleasure" seems like a sign off. Sad to see another experienced journalist leaving as they downgrade the programme.

Thinking about it, I do see the BBC’s point a bit. Mark is such an incredible journalist - so why has he been limited to reporting exclusively on a late night news programme on BBC Two? He’d have been amazing across all of BBC News.

Yes, Newsnight should still be there to give more time and space for long piece journalism, but why does it need a dedicated team to do that? Surely they could get all BBC journalists to create content for Newsnight?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • GraemeT88

The last edition of Newsnight before it's cut to half an hour and stripped of actual news reporting is on Friday 25th May.

www.thetimes.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, thePineapple

(12-05-2024, 02:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The last edition of Newsnight before it's cut to half an hour and stripped of actual news reporting is on Friday 25th May.
www.thetimes.co.uk 
Let's all go back 44 years, and cut that back to about 15 minutes . . . Confused

www.youtube.com