Jeremy Paxman steps down from University Challenge

(04-01-2023, 01:02 AM)Josh Wrote:  
(04-01-2023, 12:15 AM)Jon Wrote:  Can anyone think of a gameshow or panel show that’s had a major new look from one series to the next in recent years?

Only one I can think of is Countdown but it's been quite a while since they've rebranded majorly.
Mastermind, I guess also springs to mind with the move to Northern Ireland.

If you stretch the premise enough, Play Your Cards Right could count.
It originally ran in the 1980s until I think 1987, came back in 1994, ran for another five years or so and then came back in 2002 for another series, the original format (Card Sharks) having changed its rules in the meantime (and Forysth ultimately fell out with ITV and leaving which saw him return to the BBC)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Ma76

Not recent but the final series of Telly Addicts takes some beating for a revamp.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • DE88

(04-01-2023, 01:02 AM)Josh Wrote:  
(04-01-2023, 12:15 AM)Jon Wrote:  Can anyone think of a gameshow or panel show that’s had a major new look from one series to the next in recent years?

Only one I can think of is Countdown but it's been quite a while since they've rebranded majorly.
And even that compared to the 80s/90s where they had a brand new title sequence every few years has essentially had what at first glance is the same look to the titles since 2009, with an update early in the Hewer era - and those were just a recoloured version of the 2005 titles which were a modification of the 2001 titles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76

Countdown has also used the same arrangement of their theme tune since 1996.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • DE88, Ma76

Basically, Countdown's titles have barely changed for 21 years, apart from the removing of clips of Richard & Carol.

But yes, they did used to have quite frequent changes of titles at one time- 87, 89, 91, 96, 99 and 2001. Then as has been said, only minor changes since. I guess sometimes you find something works and there's not much need to make changes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Ma76

Actually, the current 'Down titles were introduced at the beginning of 2012.

The 2005 titles *were* basically just the 2001 ones without the clips of Whiters and Vorders, and the 2009 titles *were* just the 2005 ones coloured blue rather than pink.

But I'd argue that the current titles are a fair bit different from these, despite featuring the same logo and the same concept of letter and number tiles floating around in space.

As regards makeovers, the original Fifteen-to-One underwent two in the last three-and-a-bit years of its life - first the titles, graphics and theme tune were all changed in September 2000 (the 12-year-old me was disappointed upon hearing the jazzy version of the theme for the first time, and the now nearly 35-year-old me still much prefers the original), before a whole new set was introduced in September 2001 (purple in colour rather than blue, monitors for the players' names and numbers, and podiums 7, 8 and 9 moving forward to become the podiums for the final). The takeover of Regent Productions by Pearson TV/FremantleMedia can't have been a coincidence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DE88's post:
  • Ma76

(04-01-2023, 02:59 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Not recent but the final series of Telly Addicts takes some beating for a revamp.

So did The Krypton Factor in 1994/5:
www.youtube.com 

My original point was that gameshows that are around now, don’t tend to make any major cosmetic changes, as opposed to things like Family Fortunes or Countdown in their 80s and 90s heyday which you could bank on getting a big refresh every few series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Ma76

Yeah. When Les Dennis was host, Family Fortunes had several different logos, changing every few years. But when they revived it, Vernon Kay kept the same logo throughout his tenure, they only changed it when he was replaced as host by Gino DeCampo, after the show had been off air again (in new episodes anyway) for a few years.

Wipeout was consistent with it's branding, one logo used in the Paul Daniels era and a different one when Bob Monkhouse hosted, and that was in the 90s, so they were kind of a trendsetter!
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • DE88, Ma76