Jeremy Paxman steps down from University Challenge

(07-07-2023, 08:25 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Amol Rajan's debut will be on July 17th, with Only Connect returning on the same day.

Wow. That’s very early. I didn’t expect them to return until September.

(07-07-2023, 08:31 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  Wow. That’s very early. I didn’t expect them to return until September.

Pre pandemic I think this was a normal return time for University Challenge, but last year's didn't start until August 29th (there was the Commonwealth Games and the European Sports Championships disrupting schedules for a lot of July and August). Only Connect started on August 29th with UC last year as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AJB39, DE88

Since 2007 it been starting in mid July,
[-] The following 3 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • AJB39, DE88, RhysJR

Apart from last year apparently

An article (and video) from behind the scenes of the new series.

twitter.com 

www.theguardian.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Happy2001

Amol’s diction is a bit off compared to Jeremy/Bamber before him. You compare to Mastermind where Magnus/John/Clive all had a similar delivery.

Hardly a surprise - it seems like he was picked because of his trajectory rather than suitability for the role.

With Mastermind, Clive Myrie was ideal for the role and also happened to be a rising star. That's why he's worked so well.
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • AndrewP, thomash79

Whenever it's announced that Amol Rajan has gotten another ill-suited job, I'm reminded of Eddie Mair in the Radio Times on the occasion of Jonathan Dimbleby leaving Any Questions:

twitter.com 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 4 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, John, RhysJR, thomash79

That massive block (hiding a screen I assume) that Amol is reading from looks so out of place. Jeremy reading from cards looked neater, but I get they’re trying to save paper! Even so, they could have used a small tablet a bit more discreet!
[-] The following 3 users Like skynewsfreak's post:
  • AJB39, Brekkie, Gary Baldy

I don’t like the set changes, they’ve somehow managed to make look both more tacky and boring at the same time.