Jeremy Paxman steps down from University Challenge

(17-07-2023, 08:42 PM)skynewsfreak Wrote:  That massive block (hiding a screen I assume) that Amol is reading from looks so out of place. Jeremy reading from cards looked neater, but I get they’re trying to save paper! Even so, they could have used a small tablet a bit more discreet!

Amol Rajan also looks tiny, especially on the opening shot with the big black expanses at the sides.

I agree with Jon. It looks like they've really cheaped out on the set - and the 80s news desk style monitor is just ridiculous.

In terms of his hosting, the fluency in question reading wasn't great, and he seemed a little too quiet in general.
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Jon, RhysJR

(17-07-2023, 09:13 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  In terms of his hosting, the fluency in question reading wasn't great, and he seemed a little too quiet in general.
I'll admit I've not watched the new University Challenge but I feel the same listening to him on Radio 4. 
I did quite like him when he was on The Media Show but not so much on Today. 

He's been on Today for a few years now but to my ears he still doesn't sound totally comfortable in the programme.
I can't quite put my finger on it but something just feels off to me

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

(20-07-2023, 01:02 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  I'll admit I've not watched the new University Challenge but I feel the same listening to him on Radio 4. 
I did quite like him when he was on The Media Show but not so much on Today. 

He's been on Today for a few years now but to my ears he still doesn't sound totally comfortable in the programme.
I can't quite put my finger on it but something just feels off to me

Yes, his delivery on University Challenge was very off. It was quite offputting.

I know Jeremy did it for 29 years (is that the longest continuous run for a quiz/game show host in this country?) and he was always going to be a tough act to follow, but go back and watch the Bamber episodes, and Bamber and Jeremy despite their different approaches have similar deliveries in the questions- Amol doesn’t seem to know where to place emphasis.

I’m not normally one to suggest stuff like this but I do think Amol may have just been booked for diversity reasons because clearly he’s the wrong choice.
[-] The following 2 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • AndrewP, Northlad

I do think Amol has to prove himself more than most but his delivery looks awkward on this from the little I've seen. Agree he's very good on the Media Show and he did a good job with the Schofield interview and is in the mould of others selected for similar quiz shows. May just be a question of time.

He'd probably be better suited to GMB than Today though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, Northlad

I think one the main problems with Amol is he just comes across as your average Joe. And people watch University Challenge partly due to its higher calibre than other quiz shows. It’s all part of its appeal and I think sometimes producers don’t understand the appeal of their own shows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Bluecortina

(20-07-2023, 04:11 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think one the main problems with Amol is he just comes across as your average Joe. And people watch University Challenge partly due to its higher calibre than other quiz shows. It’s all part of its appeal and I think sometimes producers don’t understand the appeal of their own shows.

Yes, I think he was a poor fit. As an alternative, I know he may be too old but I thought David Dimbleby would suit the show perfectly.

Dimbleby certainly too old. I think often where there is a questionable appointment there is an obvious choice that has been overlooked but nobody really springs to mind this time.

(20-07-2023, 08:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Dimbleby certainly too old.  I think often where there is a questionable appointment there is an obvious choice that has been overlooked but nobody really springs to mind this time.
No idea if it’s the type of thing he’d be interested in but Stephen Sackur would be a good choice if they wanted someone in the vein of Paxman.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • KatsKaravan, scottishtv

(20-07-2023, 08:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Dimbleby certainly too old.  I think often where there is a questionable appointment there is an obvious choice that has been overlooked but nobody really springs to mind this time.
Samira Ahmed was fairly explicit about wanting the job for herself and had meetings with the production team during Paxman's final series.
twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like bananaman's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, Brekkie

(20-07-2023, 09:34 PM)bananaman Wrote:  Samira Ahmed was fairly explicit about wanting the job for herself and had meetings with the production team during Paxman's final series.
Yeah, Ahmed was proper shoe-in territory. I guess there's just no way of knowing why BBC management would have vetoed her.