BBC/ITV South West/Channel Islands News

Lily Carter has taken over as Channel’s new weather presenter, having previously presented daytime news bulletins.

x.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • London Lite, Superman1986

Channel are doing their annual CI Sports Awards show tonight - pretty much their one major non-news show of the year (although they did do nightly Island Games highlights last year)

As usual, part one went out at 8.30pm with part two going out after the late local news.

www.itv.com 

As its the SW background, I'll pop this here:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • lookoutwales, Stuart, TJTSW

(28-09-2023, 06:43 PM)TJTSW Wrote:  Kylie's last programme tonight was a nice send off for her mostly of things she did in the bristol region with the odd blooper with the plymouth background and maybe some seals from Cornwall, got to see some of the team from behind the scenes too , no news on whats shes doing next? will she being heading for the national news or is she giving that up too?

any news who will be taking over? or we all still in the dark about that?

Probably old news but she’s pop up presenting on BBC News channel

Edit - old news indeed, started in December!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Daveuk's post:
  • Superman1986

I'm confused about 'money saving policies' at BBC News.

Tonight we had a report on the Ten live from Plymouth about a UXB being found which required the evacuation of 100s of people. Good reporting by Jenny Kumah labelled as 'South West of England Correspondent'.

20 minutes later I get an updated report on Spotlight live from Plymouth, from exactly the same location in the same street, but from the local reporter Janine Jansen who explained clearly that she had been there all day.

Why the duplication? What money was saved by having two reporters? Janine Jansen is a regular reporter and also stand in presenter for the main bulletins. Why could she not do the report for the Ten?

[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice, James, MLehon

(21-02-2024, 01:04 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I'm confused about 'money saving policies' at BBC News.

Tonight we had a report on the Ten live from Plymouth about a UXB being found which required the evacuation of 100s of people. Good reporting by Jenny Kumah labelled as 'South West of England Correspondent'.

20 minutes later I get an updated report on Spotlight live from Plymouth, from exactly the same location in the same street, but from the local reporter Janine Jansen who explained clearly that she had been there all day.

Why the duplication? What money was saved by having two reporters? Janine Jansen is a regular reporter and also stand in presenter for the main bulletins. Why could she not do the report for the Ten?

I didn't see the BBC reports, so I'd assume the respective reporters did packages and lives for both evening and late bulletins for National and Regional respectively. That's quite a lot of work.

Both reporters are based in Plymouth and are staff, so the incremental cost of using them both is small. The only potential waste is with the live facilities and crew, depending of the shift and staff status

I'd be the first to be criticising BBC waste, but I don't think this is the case here. I'd be more concerned a third journalist worked on the online story, the online coverage being poor.

BBC Waste is more what you can’t see, while the output of one if the UKs top performing regional news shows and a major network bulletin may have cost a few £ hundred more, the BBC would blow £100 thousand on low audience BBC Sounds shows and 75+ marketing and strategy workers and managers dedicated to such low reach Sounds things.

Spotlight Studio having a rest tonight, as coming live from the Beacon Hub Centre for the whole programe

ITV West Country was Live tonight & went Live to Richard Lawrence at the scene at the end of the program

both channels gave good coverage
[-] The following 1 user Likes TJTSW's post:
  • Superman1986

West Country was live again tonight, with live OBs from Jennycliffe, Devonport and Keyham. That's a lot of OB activity in a relatively small area.
[-] The following 2 users Like cityprod's post:
  • Stuart, TJTSW

Both Spotlight and West Country have bewen Live most nights since the Bomb was found, the Local reporters have also been on the National news and the New Channel so well done to them.
[-] The following 2 users Like TJTSW's post:
  • James, Stuart

Anyone manage to capture the editions of both programmes last night please?