Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg

(16-04-2023, 01:28 PM)harshy Wrote:  It’s a fantastic studio, studio b just love what it can achieve and it’s versality, I’d like to see if the presenters can come upstairs to the ground floor, Huw almost tried that on the first day, well he got to the staircase

It’s good but I wonder if the background screens could be a little dimmer (especially for the 10)

It’s got better I think but sometimes the presenters struggled to stand out from the backdrop

(16-04-2023, 05:00 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 04:47 PM)lepeterrr Wrote:  Looking at the credits for today's show; and a quick twitter search there was definitely at least a Steadicam used today. Possibly a jib aswell not 100% sure.
Why would you need more than 7 cameras in that studio? Which shots required a Steadicam or Jib?

All three of the shots you’ve cited in your earlier post, for one!

The shot of the stairs starts further away (which I accept one of the robot cameras could probably do) but ends closer to Laura and the guest than your capture shows - the camera is directly underneath the stairs by the end. The perspective change makes it obvious that it’s not a simple zoom from further away, and as there is no track directly underneath the stairs it can only have been done with an additional camera.

Again, the shot from your second cap ends up much closer to the guest - the camera is basically immediately behind the guest’s shoulder by the finish. Again, maybe one of the robot cameras could do a zoomed-in version of this shot from a distance, but the camera is clearly moving closer to the guest and there are no rails that could allow a robot camera to do said shot.

Finally, in the third capture the camera is basically resting on the floor. But as can be seen in your image of the robot cameras themselves, the cameras can’t go that low as you’d have the monitors underneath them smashing into the floor!
[-] The following 2 users Like Critique's post:
  • lepeterrr, Randomuser123

(16-04-2023, 06:19 PM)Critique Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 05:00 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Why would you need more than 7 cameras in that studio?  Which shots required a Steadicam or Jib?
Finally, in the third capture the camera is basically resting on the floor. But as can be seen in your image of the robot cameras themselves, the cameras can’t go that low as you’d have the monitors underneath them smashing into the floor!
All of the shots are possible using the existing 'Electric Friends' cameras.  There is no space within Studio B to put in a Jib or require one.

The third capture is tilted upwards facing a rostrum which is higher. Why would it be 'smashing into the floor'?

(16-04-2023, 07:49 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 06:19 PM)Critique Wrote:  Finally, in the third capture the camera is basically resting on the floor. But as can be seen in your image of the robot cameras themselves, the cameras can’t go that low as you’d have the monitors underneath them smashing into the floor!
All of the shots are possible using the existing 'Electric Friends' cameras.

Did you actually watch the programme today? There were definitely some steadicam shots where the camera is moving ontop of the rostrums where there are no tracks - it's also shaking as if it's bieng held, so they were definitely not shot on the automated cameras.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy

(16-04-2023, 07:49 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 06:19 PM)Critique Wrote:  Finally, in the third capture the camera is basically resting on the floor. But as can be seen in your image of the robot cameras themselves, the cameras can’t go that low as you’d have the monitors underneath them smashing into the floor!
All of the shots are possible using the existing 'Electric Friends' cameras.  There is no space within Studio B to put in a Jib or require one.

The third capture is tilted upwards facing a rostrum which is higher. Why would it be 'smashing into the floor'?

And I’ve never suggested they were using a jib - my posts have all referred to a steadicam operator being used. The more I look, the more confident I am that the shots you’re referring to are not being done by the robot cameras, but as you seem to have made your mind up and as I don’t have any proof I won’t keep the arguing the point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Critique's post:
  • Randomuser123

(16-04-2023, 08:05 PM)Critique Wrote:  And I’ve never suggested they were using a jib - my posts have all referred to a steadicam operator being used.
It's a shame there'd be difficulties with having a jib on the current set - the first multi-storey BBC News set (and largest yet) and we have such a restrictive camera set-up - I don't blame them for bringing in an extra, more flexible camera just to add a bit of variation. Hopefully one day, maybe election night, they'll be able to give the set the sweeping wideshot that it deserves.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Spencer

(16-04-2023, 08:01 PM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 07:49 PM)Stuart Wrote:  All of the shots are possible using the existing 'Electric Friends' cameras.
Did you actually watch the programme today? There were definitely some steadicam shots where the camera is moving ontop of the rostrums where there are no tracks - it's also shaking as if it's bieng held, so they were definitely not shot on the automated cameras.
Yes I watched the programme, that's how I got the screen caps. I know that TV studio cameras have had zoom lenses for quite some time.

Are you suggesting some of the 7 cameras in NBH-B are already faulty and need to be replaced by a Steadicam? Why develop new angles for something you are capable of doing from multiple other cameras?

Here is another shot from today after the end of an interview session on the catwalk.  I don't see any malfunctioning 'Electric Friends' cameras, or the sight of any Jib or Steadicam.

By default a Steadicam would NEVER shake. It would defeat the whole point of the design.

[Image: LK-5.jpg]

(16-04-2023, 06:19 PM)Critique Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 05:00 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Why would you need more than 7 cameras in that studio?  Which shots required a Steadicam or Jib?

All three of the shots you’ve cited in your earlier post, for one!

The shot of the stairs starts further away (which I accept one of the robot cameras could probably do) but ends closer to Laura and the guest than your capture shows - the camera is directly underneath the stairs by the end. The perspective change makes it obvious that it’s not a simple zoom from further away, and as there is no track directly underneath the stairs it can only have been done with an additional camera.

Again, the shot from your second cap ends up much closer to the guest - the camera is basically immediately behind the guest’s shoulder by the finish. Again, maybe one of the robot cameras could do a zoomed-in version of this shot from a distance, but the camera is clearly moving closer to the guest and there are no rails that could allow a robot camera to do said shot.

One thing to bear in mind with these Electric.Friends cameras is how low the camera can go. Especially with how the BBC have had the team configure it.

On this page on their (E.E) website this gives an idea on what the tower is capable of and if one were to remove the screens at the bottom of the 'first generation' ones. A BBC modified one can go that low.

ELECTRIC.FRIENDS - TOWER.W2

Also read up on the project in this article that TVB Europe has that features esteemed BBC presentation director extraordinaire Chris Cook:

TVB EUROPE: "WE WANTED TO BUILD..."

Plus if one were to look at the this Tower that is on The Circle Line side on. You can quite clearly see how high it can go to the top and how low it can go near the bottom with the opening on this shot:

[Image: TOWER_W2.jpg]

(16-04-2023, 08:18 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 08:01 PM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  Did you actually watch the programme today? There were definitely some steadicam shots where the camera is moving ontop of the rostrums where there are no tracks - it's also shaking as if it's bieng held, so they were definitely not shot on the automated cameras.
Yes I watched the programme, that's how I got the screen caps. I know that TV studio cameras have had zoom lenses for quite some time.

Are you suggesting some of the 7 cameras in NBH-B are already faulty and need to be replaced by a Steadicam? Why develop new angles for something you are capable of doing from multiple other cameras?

Here is another shot from today after the end of an interview session on the catwalk.  I don't see any malfunctioning 'Electric Friends' cameras, or the sight of any Jib or Steadicam.

By default a Steadicam would NEVER shake. It would defeat the whole point of the design.

[Image: LK-5.jpg]

Take a look at the opening shot by the monolith, the intro shot for the guests and the shot directly after the titles, you can clearly see parallax that is characteristic of a 3-axis steadicam when the operator is walking (a bobbing up and down - look just past the monlith in the first shot). Most steadicams or cameras on gimbals can't stabilise an up-down motion like they can with pitch, roll and yaw. It is my understanding that you wouldn't get this parallax with the automated Electric Friends cameras as they are mounted to a rigid base that is able to move directly in a single direction.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 1 user Likes alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • aaron_scotland

(16-04-2023, 08:05 PM)Critique Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 07:49 PM)Stuart Wrote:  All of the shots are possible using the existing 'Electric Friends' cameras.  There is no space within Studio B to put in a Jib or require one.

And I’ve never suggested they were using a jib - my posts have all referred to a steadicam operator being used. The more I look, the more confident I am that the shots you’re referring to are not being done by the robot cameras, but as you seem to have made your mind up and as I don’t have any proof I won’t keep the arguing the point.

Yup as a photographer Im on your side, the shot at 03:45 into the program is clearly manual, the shot is moving slightly up/down side to side as if its being held by a human. Those tower cams are rigid.
[-] The following 2 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Randomuser123