Thread Closed

Channel 4 Pres: 2017 - Present

Picture froze for a few seconds during Rise And Fall, with no sound for about 30 seconds after.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

It begins...
twitter.com 

A nice little animation of the logo when you open the app, similar to how the blocks animate in the colourful ident. Suggests this will form part of the new pres.

[-] The following 5 users Like gav's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, Ant, Happy2001, Larry the Loafer, Stuart

It’s all very… green. And I think colour is going to be a key part of the new identity which each service getting a distinct colour. This is probably what is signified by the 4 flying through various coloured boxes in the recent ident. 

From the recent ident I’m thinking:

Channel 4 (online player) - Green

Channel 4 (linear channel) - Blue
E4 - Purple
More4 - Yellow
Film4 - Orange
4Music - Pink

I also continue to be surprised by the hold that 4OD has. It really was a brand that stuck.
[-] The following 5 users Like thomalex's post:
  • Bengsy, DeMarkay, Jeff, LargelyALurker, Roger Darthwell

(17-04-2023, 03:02 PM)thomalex Wrote:  I also continue to be surprised by the hold that 4OD has. It really was a brand that stuck.
I always thought they missed a trick not calling it 4Play. It's very cheeky and so very Channel 4. All4, as you say, never quite caught on. I can only imagine that '4Play' is perhaps copyrighted elsewhere?
[-] The following 6 users Like Kojak's post:
  • chris, chrisdafur, fanoftv, IanJRedman, Jeff, orange

TV4 in Sweden uses it for their on demand service, unsure if that would hinder it here though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes orange's post:
  • Kojak

(17-04-2023, 03:11 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(17-04-2023, 03:02 PM)thomalex Wrote:  I also continue to be surprised by the hold that 4OD has. It really was a brand that stuck.
I always thought they missed a trick not calling it 4Play. It's very cheeky and so very Channel 4. All4, as you say, never quite caught on. I can only imagine that '4Play' is perhaps copyrighted elsewhere?

Wasn't one of the previous sections of their website called this? I don't think they tend to reuse names, so that may have been why.

I don't think reusing 4Play would have been the issue, I doubt any really remember it on a large scale anyway.

I would say the reason they didn't go for 4Play would be the complaints that would have came from people over the name and its sexual connotations. Even though personally I think it would have been a good name for them to use.

I'm curious as to how they are going to refer to the catch up service now. It shares the same name as the main channel, so are they going to promote a show, for example, as "Thursday at 9pm on E4 or [stream/catch up/watch] on Channel 4". Just doesn't sound right.

They did used to use the 4Play name when they would play four songs by the same artist on 4Music

Well, they already had used the name, but I'm not sure it'd have been wise to have The Hoobs available on 4Play either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • Josh

(17-04-2023, 08:55 PM)rick Wrote:  I don't think reusing 4Play would have been the issue, I doubt any really remember it on a large scale anyway.

I would say the reason they didn't go for 4Play would be the complaints that would have came from people over the name and its sexual connotations. Even though personally I think it would have been a good name for them to use.

I'm curious as to how they are going to refer to the catch up service now. It shares the same name as the main channel, so are they going to promote a show, for example, as "Thursday at 9pm on E4 or [stream/catch up/watch] on Channel 4". Just doesn't sound right.
But that's the thing - Channel 4 have never exactly been afraid of controversy, and I'd argue any such uproar from calling their streaming service 4Play would be small fry, particularly when you think of some of the other stunts they've pulled over the years (televising an autopsy, having Iranian president Ahmadinejad do the Christmas message, Naked Education, to name but three).

I think promos will just be 'Thursday at 9 on E4 or watch now online' or similar. I'm pretty sure an insider further up the thread confimed as much.

EDIT:
(14-04-2023, 04:00 PM)strollfan Wrote:  Alternatively, and this is vaguely how it will sound on air, "Taskmaster will be on Channel 4 at a later time of 10:30pm, but you can watch first online from 9pm." If the linear channel is mentioned, the audience will know that "online" refers to the Channel 4 website or the Channel 4 apps.

(17-04-2023, 09:04 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  Well, they already had used the name, but I'm not sure it'd have been wise to have The Hoobs available on 4Play either.
I don't think any of The Hoobs' target audience would know or care about any such connotations.
Thread Closed