Thread Closed

Channel 4 Pres: 2017 - Present

(17-04-2023, 03:02 PM)thomalex Wrote:  It’s all very… green. And I think colour is going to be a key part of the new identity which each service getting a distinct colour. This is probably what is signified by the 4 flying through various coloured boxes in the recent ident. 

From the recent ident I’m thinking:

Channel 4 (online player) - Green

Channel 4 (linear channel) - Blue
E4 - Purple
More4 - Yellow
Film4 - Orange
4Music - Pink

I also continue to be surprised by the hold that 4OD has. It really was a brand that stuck.

Why would Film4 suddenly use orange, when they've always used red ever since the channel launched?
[-] The following 3 users Like JAS84's post:
  • chrisdafur, Larry the Loafer, UTVLifer

I don't think Channel 4 would be upset with the free publicity generated by a bunch of outlets complaining about the name "4Play" who probably don't like or watch Channel 4 anyway.

God, have we all discovered our inner 12 year old? Big Grin

Even if they had gone for it it would have been rebranded by now but I suspect the reason is the brand sounds more like a games platform than a streamer - a few use Player but not many use Play - can only think of UKTV Play and 10Play in Australia.

In the USA, Paramount does a similar thing where they have both a channel and streaming service called "Showtime", and in promos, they just say something like "... Tuesday at 8/9c on Showtime", not naming a specific service because viewers know it's referring to both services. I'd imagine Channel 4 would do the same thing, but I'm not sure how it will be handled for the sister channels.

(17-04-2023, 10:26 PM)ATee Wrote:  In the USA, Paramount does a similar thing where they have both a channel and streaming service called "Showtime", and in promos, they just say something like "... Tuesday at 8/9c on Showtime", not naming a specific service because viewers know it's referring to both services. I'd imagine Channel 4 would do the same thing, but I'm not sure how it will be handled for the sister channels.
I imagine it’s just something like ‘Tuesday at 9pm on E4, catch-up on the Channel 4 app’. 

I imagine use of the app (phone/tablet/smart TV/STBs etc) is much higher than the website these days so the website won’t be mentioned explicitly.

I really am not a huge fan of the green they’re using - I feel like they were going for something crisp and refreshing which I respect… but this looks like one of the colours they must’ve trialled on cigarette packaging to discourage people from smoking.

(17-04-2023, 09:12 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(17-04-2023, 03:02 PM)thomalex Wrote:  It’s all very… green. And I think colour is going to be a key part of the new identity which each service getting a distinct colour. This is probably what is signified by the 4 flying through various coloured boxes in the recent ident. 

From the recent ident I’m thinking:

Channel 4 (online player) - Green

Channel 4 (linear channel) - Blue
E4 - Purple
More4 - Yellow
Film4 - Orange
4Music - Pink

I also continue to be surprised by the hold that 4OD has. It really was a brand that stuck.

Why would Film4 suddenly use orange, when they've always used red ever since the channel launched?

www.youtube.com 

I was basing the colours from the recent generic ident where there doesn't appear to be a red 'box' and it seems more orange. There are heavy gradients however so it may be hinting at red. And I agree it would make sense for Film4 to stick with it's established red colour.

I could of course have got this all wrong. Just a suspicion that we'll see more emphasis on colour in each channels identities with the streaming service being heavily green. And this is what the generic ident is all about with each channel represented by a coloured box.

Now that they're logged on the excellent TV Home, you can see how repetitive and pre-recorded Channel 4 continuity is now. Some of the scripts I'm pretty sure I've already heard before anyway.

Not quite ITV levels of bland and soulless, but getting there.
[-] The following 3 users Like ethanh05's post:
  • Brekkie, ethanjbrady, UTVLifer

Continuity is now dying out on TV - in the US, the main networks rarely use it to introduce shows. It is simply one show leads straight into another.

In this age of streaming TV, the age of the continuity announcer is now a thing of the past.

May I ask if anyone knows when the rebrand will take place on the channel 4 channels
Thread Closed