Thread Closed

Channel 4 Pres: 2017 - Present

There is no New idents, going into Countdown but paul is there
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • Ma76, Underscore_

(02-11-2022, 03:00 PM)BlueFrog Wrote:  I'm pretty sure these will be preserved better in sites like The Ident Gallery etc but here's a rushed-compilation I made of the break-bumpers so far (minus the one I've missed).

cdn.discordapp.com  (again not sure if this'll embed)

MAJOR early 2000s vibes!  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • KyleToons, Ma76

Here's Paul Coia's intro to Countdown in case you missed it:

up.metropol247.co.uk 
[-] The following 7 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • bkman1990, ethanjbrady, Larry the Loafer, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, TVFan, Underscore_

(02-11-2022, 03:10 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(02-11-2022, 02:00 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:   Not only do I still think it was a terrible idea to abandon the original logo (I almost liken it to MTV, not only in longevity but the way it was used so flexibly in its presentation) 

I agree with that. E4 was still a strong logo brand before it changed, the current one is so indistinctive when used as a DOG.

The fact they're not rebranding Film4 suggests to me that maybe the new names will follow a similar "Genre"4.

I was a bit baffled by rebranding the on demand service as just "Channel 4" but actually it does make a lot of sense. I don't think anyone who watches a promo for a C4 show doesn't already know that it will be available to watch on demand and I can't see them being any more likely to seek it out by being told that it's "also on All4". Everything on the channel is available on catch up. Arguably these days the on demand service is as much the channel as the linear schedule is.

The best news about this is it's finally the end of the utterly awful All4 name which I still can't believe they persisted with for so long.
To each their own, I think the digital channels made a great job by absorbing the Channel 4 logo: the E4 older logo was about to feel tired.

I'm however against their ITV2-influenced endboards.

I'm OK with the Channel 4 branding expanding to the streaming section

This might be a stretch but seeing that the break bumper is having the C4 logo being in a box, sort of resembles the 'Altogether Different' ad campaign.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KyleToons's post:
  • Underscore_

I hope the new look for the main channel is a bit more imminent than we expect, judging from the break bumpers. I like what I see so far!

Channel 4 is usually very good at just getting everything rebranded in one fell swoop - I really hope they don’t just do it all bit by bit. I always find that a very weird way of going about things - it’s like telling everyone you’re starting to introduce your new look today and all you’ve done is change your knickers. Or it’s like putting on a t-shirt that doesn’t match or go with anything else about your outfit. Makes no sense!
[-] The following 3 users Like orange's post:
  • bkman1990, KyleToons, Underscore_

(02-11-2022, 02:00 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I'm hard pressed to say that the E4 brand has the same value as it once did. Not only do I still think it was a terrible idea to abandon the original logo (I almost liken it to MTV, not only in longevity but the way it was used so flexibly in its presentation) but it just feels like another ITV2/BBC Three clone nowadays.

I know what you're going to say. E4 is chasing the same demographic as the other two channels, yes. But until recently, it felt like E4 did it in its own style. It was unapologetically quirky in a similar way that Dave still is. But even their "sliding side-to-side" endboards after the big rebrand almost looked like a direct copy of those "snapping back" ones used by ITV2. And even the programming just feels very ITV2 as well. Whether that's a result of me entering my 30s and not seeing the appeal in these shows anymore, I'm not quite so sure. But if you were to ask me what channel aired Celebs Go Dating ten years ago, E4 certainly wouldn't have been my first guess.

Oh, and happy birthday, Channel 4.
I think what makes the situation worse is that E4 seems to have a split identity. During the daytime it still focuses on the American comedies they were once mostly known for, but then at night the reality shows dominate. There’s also E4 Extra, which seems to mostly act as an overflow channel for programmes the main channel doesn’t want anymore, whilst they keep showing constant Big Bang Theory and Gogglebox repeats.

I imagine that the reason they don’t add more reality shows to daytime is that the sitcoms still pull decent ratings (if they didn’t then I doubt you’d be seeing as many Big Bang episodes), but it could help  unify the channel’s image.

Noticed this morning on Channel 4 HD there is now a 'HD' bug next to the DOG. Pretty sure that wasn't there yesterday morning.

I'm pretty sure the HD channel had an HD DOG, didn't it? I'll have to look back at something I've recorded. But the one they have now is laughably big, far too distracting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Larry the Loafer's post:
  • Ma76

(02-11-2022, 05:01 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the HD channel had an HD DOG, didn't it? I'll have to look back at something I've recorded. But the one they have now is laughably big, far too distracting.
It has always been there (originally it was only used on native HD programmes), but it has never been that noticeable until now. Here is what it most recently looked like (apologies for the low quality):

up.metropol247.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like TVFan's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, Ma76
Thread Closed