Thread Closed

Channel 4 Pres: 2017 - Present

(02-11-2022, 10:44 PM)samiach2001 Wrote:  Missing the 4 giant character already… I personally didn’t feel there was anything wrong with Channel 4’s on screen identity nor its idents

I completely agree with you! I thought the existing Channel 4 presentation was very edgy and current. These new idents are a bit  strange for a channel that aims to be different and against ‘normal’. To be honest the new look feels a bit Channel 5 which I don’t think is the correct direction for them at all.
[-] The following 6 users Like brioalex's post:
  • bkman1990, DJ Dave, Jeff, Juicy Joe, KyleToons, samiach2001

(02-11-2022, 11:10 PM)brioalex Wrote:  
(02-11-2022, 10:44 PM)samiach2001 Wrote:  Missing the 4 giant character already… I personally didn’t feel there was anything wrong with Channel 4’s on screen identity nor its idents

I completely agree with you! I thought the existing Channel 4 presentation was very edgy and current. These new idents are a bit  strange for a channel that aims to be different and against ‘normal’. To be honest the new look feels a bit Channel 5 which I don’t think is the correct direction for them at all.

100% incredibly Channel 5 and average for a channel that prides itself on the celebration of the unique
[-] The following 1 user Likes samiach2001's post:
  • brioalex

Calling ALL4 , Channel 4 kind of makes sense to me because it's probably a way many might access Channel 4 stuff already. Though I can see the confusion. It could say watch on Channel 4 and they might mean Channel 4 the streaming not Channel 4 on Channel 4. I can see the idea strengthening the Channel 4 brand. Rebranding the digital channels, I'm not sure is a good idea. E4, More4 have their own strong names and branding, seems to be a pain to do that again. Saw the idea of genre naming, the only problem with that is it really sticks a channel into a genre and that loses what it can do, or confuses things. Like when 4music wasn't airing music.

(02-11-2022, 11:10 PM)brioalex Wrote:  

As someone who likes the new idents, I agree with you. Hopefully, this could probably be the generic idents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KyleToons's post:
  • brioalex

Renaming the streaming service and refocussing the network on the single Channel 4 brand makes sense. Channel 4 isn't going to be a sprawling company that needs to differentiate different services like the BBC or ITV. C4 needs to punch above its weight and focus will help that.

But I would argue that the announcement today is really just a continuation of the recent trend such as the replacement of the unique logos with those made from the main logo. The next step will probably involve common presentation elements rather than major name changes.

On the new bumpers / idents, these feel trendy rather than trend setting in their composition and activation of the logo - somewhere between C5 and new BBC. The 2015 blocks presentation is far more unique and ownable, if more obscure.

I'll miss the blocks when they're gone. Maybe a hot take, but I really liked how it was in 2015 - 2017 where they just straight up never even used the logo. They just had the blocks disassembled and that was enough to make you go "This is Channel 4." I get why they eventually started including it though, at least they still instantly fell apart.

I kinda wish they just went with the blocks entirely than depending on the same 4 live-action idents (whether it be the block origins or the giant) forever. I really like the clock, Simpsons, F1, and Christmas idents a lot, there should have been more of that.

Conversely, this new look looks a bit... generic, from the tiny bits they've shown. In that case I actually would prefer they go all out with live-action idents. Just make more than 4 of them please.
[-] The following 4 users Like kianworld's post:
  • bkman1990, insert_good_username_here, KyleToons, Transmission

Nice as it was I was very bored of it. Like their previous set of idents there really needed to be more to keep interest.

What I will miss, as it looks like they're going, are the individual blocks from the logo, they were such a clever and versatile idea. 

Curious that they're using both new and old tonight, either that's a cock up or there's some logic. I seem to remember them introducing a new look suddenly many years ago that was only used briefly and never again

The more I see them the more I feel like these idents would be a move i’d imagine C5 much more likely to make as a next step than C4. I like them a lot and there’s a little throwback to the stripes era but they’re not jumping out as C4’s personality to me. Hopefully it is just temporary.

Also - am I hearing things or does it sound like the background music in the ident has little samples of music from past 4 idents? Definitely hearing things from the illusion era (Hay?), although I might just be convincing myself that - it would be odd to give a nod to something a lot more niche like that rather than something like fourscore.

I think the 'lightboxes' are kind of an evolution from the bars in the late 90s, with the boxed 4 and the bright colours:
youtu.be 

To see them in this way, it's a natural evolution; but C4's idents had come a long way after that (the 2004/2015/2017 sets) and it's now a bit on the plain side.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
Thread Closed