Thread Closed

Channel 4 Pres: 2017 - Present

[Disclaimer: My viewership of Channel 4's various sister channels has always been pretty much zero, and the last time that I went anywhere near any of them was admittedly absolutely ages ago (save for whenever I visit my sister, who often has E4 or E4 Extra on in the background).]

But, based on my limited past exposure... My perception is such that the new names for E4 and More4 might as well be "Big Bang 24" and "Come Dine 24" respectively.

(02-11-2022, 08:26 PM)no1fanofthepals Wrote:  
(02-11-2022, 08:24 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  It should have always been called "4 Play" from the outset.
You might want to rethink the name you've chosen.
I am fully aware of the inherent innuendo of my suggestion, and that was the whole point of why I made it. Channel 4 was "born risky" after all...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 406's post:
  • no1fanofthepals

(03-11-2022, 07:43 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  [Disclaimer: My viewership of Channel 4's various sister channels has always been pretty much zero, and the last time that I went anywhere near any of them was admittedly absolutely ages ago (save for whenever I visit my sister, who often has E4 or E4 Extra on in the background).]

But, based on my limited past exposure... My perception is such that the new names for E4 and More4 might as well be "Big Bang 24" and "Come Dine 24" respectively.

(02-11-2022, 08:26 PM)no1fanofthepals Wrote:  You might want to rethink the name you've chosen.
I am fully aware of the inherent innuendo of my suggestion, and that was the whole point of why I made it. Channel 4 was "born risky" after all...
I’m happy to have a Come Dine 24 channel. They should do that as a FAST channel on Channel 4 Online or whatever the hell they end up calling All4 next year.

Bit of a shame they've replaced my favourite thing about their current presentation (the blocks) but kept my least favourite for now (the idents).
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • fanoftv, Lester

I don't really think the idents have to be "weird" at all. It's only since 2015 that they went against the grain and obscured their own logo in what was meant to identify the channel. The 1982 blocks were certainly unique compared to the competition but they were by no means unconventional. The Circles and Squares certainly didn't raise any eyebrows, and whilst the 2004 set definitely stood out, they still served as functional idents.

And let's be real. By 2004, Channel 4 certainly wasn't the controversially different/alternative brand it was a decade or two before. Yes, they certainly still take risks, but I don't believe they really need the sort of "wtf" idents that some are suggesting in this thread. To be honest, this new ident that's infrequently popping up is something I find quite refreshing from the live-action trend we've suffered for many years. I'd hoped BBC Two would trigger a turn back to eye-pleasing computer graphics and, with any luck, we might be seeing that now.

This may sound off topic, I don't really know if it is or not, but the original "logo-less" idents from 2015?

I kind of liked them.

I especially like the music that accompanied the fourth ident in the set, with the blocks being looked at by scientists.

I thought it was pretty soothing and calming.
[-] The following 3 users Like Lyric's post:
  • all new phil, bkman1990, KyleToons

So someone I know made this discovery - the new logo is not symmetrical

[Image: unknown.png]

I personally don't care, but you guys might have something to say about it, so I'm putting it here
[-] The following 3 users Like Lyric's post:
  • bkman1990, Ittr, thomalex

Sometimes you need some asymmetrical parts to a design rather than literal symmetry so that it appears more balanced to the eye. It will have been intentional - it might look off if they were all equal.
[-] The following 2 users Like orange's post:
  • benzj, JosiahStuart

(04-11-2022, 01:24 AM)Lyric Wrote:  This may sound off topic, I don't really know if it is or not, but the original "logo-less" idents from 2015?

I kind of liked them.

I especially like the music that accompanied the fourth ident in the set, with the blocks being looked at by scientists.

I loved the music for all four of them. Mica Levi, who did the brilliant (and unnerving) soundtrack for Under the Skin.

(04-11-2022, 07:58 AM)Transmission Wrote:  
(04-11-2022, 01:24 AM)Lyric Wrote:  This may sound off topic, I don't really know if it is or not, but the original "logo-less" idents from 2015?

I kind of liked them.

I loved the music for all four of them. Mica Levi, who did the brilliant (and unnerving) soundtrack for Under the Skin.
I liked the clips to them but was frustrated that there was no logo on the idents. I think they would have made better trailer stings.

(04-11-2022, 09:59 AM)TimGoodwin Wrote:  
(04-11-2022, 07:58 AM)Transmission Wrote:  I loved the music for all four of them. Mica Levi, who did the brilliant (and unnerving) soundtrack for Under the Skin.
I liked the clips to them but was frustrated that there was no logo on the idents. I think they would have made better trailer stings.
Being honest, I always felt like it was half-baked. Like, the idea behind them is quite abstract and rewarding to see, until you realised that that was it... I sometimes wondered if the 'elements' (or crystals, whatever they were) couldn't have come together somehow over a longer-form campaign. It would, for example, have been a nice evolution to see them being mined and then crafted. As it was, I always felt it was just that little bit *too* abstract for what is, essentially, the front window on an identity.
[-] The following 2 users Like Matrix's post:
  • benzj, orange
Thread Closed