Channel 4-Owned Music Channels Pres

(29-01-2024, 07:48 PM)watchingtv Wrote:  Could the +1 timeshift channels not just air on the Channel 4 (online service)? I still see a benefit and if its all automated surely doesn't cost much but adds to a range of FAST channels online.
That would be pointless. If you have to go to the website or app to watch the +1 channel, then you might as well just look up the specific programme you want to watch.
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • bkman1990, Kunst

(29-01-2024, 09:59 PM)WillPS Wrote:  With respect, I don't think the average music channel viewer really cares much about picture quality. At one point, pre-YouTube, they might be a place to go to see a specific music video, and for those people PQ might be relevant, but obviously those days are long over. What kept them alive is that it is (or was) convenient television. PQ really didn't/doesn't matter to that audience.

As an extreme case in point - I'm super invested in PQ; I've got a 4K OLED TV, a 4K Apple TV, 4K Netflix and Disney+ subs, must've spent £300-400 on 4K Blu Rays at this point plus a standalone player for them... yet when I'm in the mood to shove one of these channels on in the background it doesn't bother me in the slightest that their PQ is ropey. In fact I even quite enjoyed seeing the inferior copy of the Wham video a few times before Christmas.

I think the issue is more that people don't think to put them on any more - for most people I know the go-to for those situations is to shove Friends on Netflix these days (or something similar).
I've criticised too many times in the past the "radio station TV channel" strategy adopted in Italy which pretty much has replaced almost completely traditional music channels, but nowadays I see it as a way to make music channels survive, as there's a lot of intertwining, and especially they're popular in bars and all

And they're for the most part in HD

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

Not surprised the Box channels will be going first. Not quite sure why Channel 4 still have them to be honest. They’ve probably concluded they won’t make any money from a sale, and so they’re getting shut down instead.

Within the next six years, Channel 4 will only have a handful of channels left. Once the Box channels are gone, 4Music, 4Seven and E4 Extra will be next. Which leaves the core channel as well as E4, Film4 and More4, which will probably stick around for longer considering they’re established brands that still attract respectable ratings and revenue.

Begs the question of if/when Channel 4 will rebrand the remaining channels more closely to the main service. Maybe when they notice the difference between the old skinny 4 logo and the new full-fat 4….

Why are people so adamant E4 Extra is closing? Presumably it was set up as the demand to buy the ad space was there, much the same as ITV Be. I’d say More4 is more at risk.

I’d guess a Cats Does Countdown FAST channel is very likely.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • benzj, Brekkie, London Lite

(30-01-2024, 12:37 AM)all new phil Wrote:  I’d say More4 is more at risk.

More4's aimed at the one demographic still dependably watching linear. They've had multiple successful original commissions and there was no word in the announcement yesterday of those being curtailed. I'd have thought More4 would be the very last one to be closed.
[-] The following 3 users Like gottago's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite, WillPS

(29-01-2024, 10:17 PM)Kunst Wrote:  I've criticised too many times in the past the "radio station TV channel" strategy adopted in Italy which pretty much has replaced almost completely traditional music channels, but nowadays I see it as a way to make music channels survive, as there's a lot of intertwining, and especially they're popular in bars and all

And they're for the most part in HD
Hypothetically there is an argument for 4Music doing this once The Box channels are closed down. They could simulcast music videos until around 5pm. Then in primetime split, so that on radio it continues with music whilst on TV they can show 'music related' programmes. I'm guessing it would also be possible to have different adverts played/shown during the breaks when output was simulcast.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

It never made sense why C4 didn't add the BOX suite to their streaming service as an easy way to be providing additional contents. Guessing there may have been rights issues but they were previously streamed online and via their own app, plus three via the red button on Freeview. Baffling they axed those streams just as streaming was taking off really.

I think other than +1 channels and perhaps 4Seven the rest are safe for now. They all have a purpose really and it might be easy to say why does Film4 exist when it's something non-PSBs could do but in reality other than Great Movies the other PSBs don't do it and Films is one of the most popular Freeview channels.

I think with movies too whilst on demand is great there is something to be said about discovering films you wouldn't necessarily seek out too.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • benzj, Roger Darthwell

(30-01-2024, 12:37 AM)all new phil Wrote:  Why are people so adamant E4 Extra is closing? Presumably it was set up as the demand to buy the ad space was there, much the same as ITV Be. I’d say More4 is more at risk.

I’d guess a Cats Does Countdown FAST channel is very likely.
Because it's now become redundant

ITV Be is clearly more of a channel than ITV2, clearly targeting another audience

Not E4 Extra, not anymore, it's a kind of 4Seven for C4

(30-01-2024, 11:06 AM)Kunst Wrote:  Because it's now become redundant

ITV Be is clearly more of a channel than ITV2, clearly targeting another audience

Not E4 Extra, not anymore, it's a kind of 4Seven for C4

I think that is simply not the case. It works well as an overspill for E4 but it's main purpose is really for archive comedy content now which although may get the odd slot on E4 or More4 there isn't really anywhere else they could air it nightly.

Yes, the content may be available to stream but shows like 8 out of 10 Cats/Catsdown work better with a channel hopping audience than an on demand audience.

That said though I'd say the same for music channels - there of course is an audience who absolutely curate their own music video/performance viewing but others who want it for little more than background TV without actively having to select what they're watching.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Gary Baldy

So if they want to shut the Box Plus channels and they haven’t bothered about them for years anyway, why don’t they just close them? Unless it’s because they have contractual obligations to fill regarding them or maybe they might consider selling them or the slots off if they were offered the right price?