Channel 4-Owned Music Channels Pres

(30-01-2024, 02:27 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  So if they want to shut the Box Plus channels and they haven’t bothered about them for years anyway, why don’t they just close them? Unless it’s because they have contractual obligations to fill regarding them or maybe they might consider selling them or the slots off if they were offered the right price?
According to RXTV three of the Box channels "broadcast under branding licence to Bauer Media" (Kerrang! TV, Kiss TV, and Magic TV). I'd hazard a guess that the branding licence which covers these channels may be due for renewal sometime this year. No point in continuing to pay to use these brand names if revenue from those channels is falling and Channel 4 is looking to cut costs. I'd like to think the 4Music may be the last of these channels to close, if only due to it having a more direct link in it's name of Channel 4.

With regards to 4Extra I wouldn't be too surprised if Channel 4 consider 'moving' from linear TV to a FAST channel on their streaming service. They could then spin it that the channel "isn't closing" and it's part of their "digital first" approach.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(30-01-2024, 02:42 PM)Keith Wrote:  According to RXTV three of the Box channels "broadcast under branding licence to Bauer Media" (Kerrang! TV, Kiss TV, and Magic TV). I'd hazard a guess that the branding licence which covers these channels may be due for renewal sometime this year. No point in continuing to pay to use these brand names if revenue from those channels is falling and Channel 4 is looking to cut costs.
Good point, it would also be a lot harder to sell the channels if they don't come with the brands, or would cost a lot to keep the brands so make even more sense that they would close them fully.

(30-01-2024, 02:27 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  So if they want to shut the Box Plus channels and they haven’t bothered about them for years anyway, why don’t they just close them? Unless it’s because they have contractual obligations to fill regarding them or maybe they might consider selling them or the slots off if they were offered the right price?

The branding deal with Bauer Media started on the 8th January 2019 when they sold their share. At a guess, Channel 4 renewed this at least once and have the rights to use the brands until 8th January 2025.

The channels are run under a blanket licence agreement, which allows them to play virtually unlimited music videos for a very large fixed fee. There is an argument to keep playing music videos and keep selling advertising until this agreement expires.

In addition, there is a redundancy consultation period of 45 days by law - so the channels will continue until this is completed at the very earliest.

I don't understand why people keep saying that +1 channels are likely to close first. In my view, these are probably the least pressing to close. They cost virtually nothing to run but bring in revenue through the additional eyes on adverts. It'll be those channels that bring little to the table (money) but have a cost through commissioning, scheduling and playout that go first.
[-] The following 2 users Like Joe's post:
  • interestednovice, Jonny

It's a shame BARB don't report them separately anymore - presumably broadcasters still get that data.

Did anyone actually wonder if the Red Bee Incident would have killed them off?

Considering they were the last to be restored and the fact that Magic was simulcasting The Box until late November if they could get away with not restoring them could they have closed way back in 2021

MTV Music and MTV Hits will be the last remaining music channels with new music when the Box Plus channels go!

Seems like music channels only have one way of survival in this ever changing, ever evolving society: FAST.

Pluto TV has a few MTV branded channels which do still play music, including a revived feed of MTV Rocks, plus the NOW channels are on Pluto as well. Surprisingly no MTV 80s or MTV 90s yet, but they do have an MTV Classic feed.

I wonder if Channel 4 wanted to move the Box channels online and running on FAST before realising music licensing is getting more expensive than usual + not enough return on ad revenue, even if running these channels is low cost.
[-] The following 2 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(02-02-2024, 02:59 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Seems like music channels only have one way of survival in this ever changing, ever evolving society: FAST.

There are already FAT Music channels and always have been. I'm not sure how adding an S suddenly makes them commercially sustainable or appealing to viewers.

When people say they like streaming, they are not actually taking about the delivery mechanism, it's short hand for increased choice and schedule free television.

A music channel with a playlist decided by someone else is a music channel with a schedule decided by someone else whether it's delivered by IP or by satellite.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nobby's post:
  • LargelyALurker

Yes

But

I’m never going and curating a playlist of music videos to put on in the background whilst I do other things,

I’d put on Kerrang, or I’d pick a generated playlist on Spotify. It’s no different other than I sometimes like having those pictures on in the background.

Is the answer Spotify tv apps with videos loaded in so you “create your own” music channels???