BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News

It's certainly overdue. It was the first of the N6 inspired sets, several others have already been replaced
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Superman1986, Yorksman

(12-11-2022, 09:35 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  It's certainly overdue. It was the first of the N6 inspired sets, several others have already been replaced

Certainly the first of the style that was semi-rolled out across other regions (i.e., printed illuminated newsroom backdrops + 2008-style desks), but I guess you could argue that the 2007 Scotland set was the first 'Barco-style' regional set. Given that Hull's set was installed in March 2009 and all the other sets from that style were installed fairly quickly over a year between December 2009 and December 2010, I wouldn't be surprised if Hull's was a 'pilot' so they could iron out any kinks.

The current Hull set (at nearly 14 years) must be oldest BBC News set ever? It and the other four regions who still have Barco-style sets should surely be towards the top of the list for new sets.

I've tried to piece together the installation of regional sets and their styles here...

[Image: RegionalSetRollouts.png]
...I'm willing to admit that what constitutes a 'refresh' has almost certainly been applied incosistently.
[-] The following 8 users Like DTV's post:
  • James, Jayesyn, Josh, MFTJA, Phil, Superman1986, UTVLifer, watchingtv

(13-11-2022, 02:52 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(12-11-2022, 09:35 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  It's certainly overdue. It was the first of the N6 inspired sets, several others have already been replaced
The current Hull set (at nearly 14 years) must be oldest BBC News set ever? It and the other four regions who still have Barco-style sets should surely be towards the top of the list for new sets.
Well, there should be some well overdue developments re Hull fairly soon...
[-] The following 2 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • Superman1986, UTVLifer

(13-11-2022, 05:05 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  Well, there should be some well overdue developments re Hull fairly soon...

I'm glad this rollout is moving so swiftly. Not just are some regions well overdue for an upgrade, but the combination of moving away from rear projection and a rectangular set has the potential to really improve some of these region's presentation, and not purely in aesthetic terms.

Hull will be interesting. It's on the smaller size of regional studios, but isn't as small as some imagine. The problem really is its shape - at roughly 13.5m x 7.2m it's very proportionally long for a TV studio (it's ratio of 1:1.875 compares to Studio B's 1:1.53, Southampton's 1:1.39 and Studio E's 1:1.25).
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • Former Member 406, Superman1986, UTVLifer

The sets are being made to a template based on the size of the smallest studio.
Some sites will have lots of crew/tech/unused space around them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JexedBack's post:
  • Former Member 406

Ian White is presenting Calendar for the first time today.

www.itv.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Yorksman's post:
  • Former Member 406, Superman1986

Didn't know Ian had joined until Lara mentioned it on the lunchtime bulletin. Some real heavyweight experience on Calendar there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • Superman1986

Yes it's a good move for everyone. Ian has more or less said in press interviews that he was patiently biding his time as Harry's understudy expecting to be in with a good shout of getting the gig when he retired. The Beeb going single headed scuppered that.

I don't think ITV could have found a better fit if they had tried, somebody who has been doing the equivalent job for decades, solid journalist known and trusted by the audience and has worked with the co-presenter successfully in the past.
That ticks a lot of boxes before you even thought about what he can offer through his experience as a producer and knowing the TV industry inside out. You just know the next set of YTV anniversary packages already have his name on them.

And for the BBC, the beancounters get to chalk up another one to natural wastage, although I'm sure the team on the ground are already missing his versatility.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Will

One thing about Calendar is it must be really weird for the presenters having to essentially do the two editions back to back (North and South), probably not as obvious if you're just watching in the respective region on TV, but watching both editions on catch up and seeing the welcome coversations done in a slightly different choice of words, discussion between the presenters on the (shared) stories in a slightly different choice of words is fascinating!

I wonder why ITV went that route compared to the BBC having Uncle Peter covering one side!

Money. They used to have two studios in Leeds and do both live (Duncan and Christie on Emley, John and Gaynor on Belmont) but this was dropped in the same round of cuts that merged some traditional regions like Tyne Tees and Border
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Former Member 406, Yorksman