BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News

The designer of the Yorkshire Television chevron logo has died…

x.com 

Incidentally, I love the ‘flower’ made of the chevrons. I remember seeing this on the floor in one of the corridors to the studios when I visited YTV many years ago. I think there were several similar designs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, lookoutwales

Just thinking, does BBC Radio Leeds's Don't Go to Bed Just Yet podcast use the Look North set? It just the studio looks familiar.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JACKLUFC1998's post:
  • Superman1986

I believe that when Vilor was installed they lost a studio, going from three to the standard two like every other BBC LR station. They've turned the old Studio 3 into a space for visual podcasts and some BBC Introducing performances.

I'm not sure what the technical installation is like, they have done a live edition of the podcast. It might be that the existing wall box in the studio lets them patch the mics through to one of the other studios.

Too late to edit, here's Steph Hirst talking about it in 2019 archive.org 

Tonight’s Calendar was a special edition marking 40 years since the miners strike

Ian and Lara were live from the National Coal Mining Museum in Wakefield

(05-03-2024, 07:32 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Tonight’s Calendar was a special edition marking 40 years since the miners strike

Ian and Lara were live from the National Coal Mining Museum in Wakefield

Did they devote the whole programme to it, as per Wales at Six last night? (likewise with Tyne Tees' special from Herrington tonight?)

One thing I never understand about Look North (Leeds) is that they always mention mention Yorkshire and North Derbyshire, but never North Nottinghamshire. Do they forget that most viewers in this area can only receive the Leeds edition of Look North, or does the BBC think that North Nottinghamshire should be adequately covered by East Midlands Today?

It's more Belmont country than Emley isn't it?

I remember when Wilko went bust as they were based in Worksop that Leeds covered the job cuts to the warehouse and HQ.

(08-03-2024, 07:56 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  One thing I never understand about Look North (Leeds) is that they always mention mention Yorkshire and North Derbyshire, but never North Nottinghamshire. Do they forget that most viewers in this area can only receive the Leeds edition of Look North, or does the BBC  think that North Nottinghamshire should be adequately covered by East Midlands Today?

Something that was so incredibly frustrating when growing up- that nearly all our local news was covered by EMT and Central, despite the fact virtually nobody who lives here can get them terrestrially. It was only when cable came that people were finally able to get it (and then satellite later on) though of course that still relied on people actually subscribing to cable. I remember us being virtually the only people who were able to see an EMT report on our school in 1999 because we had cable and most others didn't. I also remember a collective sigh from pretty much everyone being at an event in the town centre in the mid-90s (before cable came to the area) and it was announced we could see it later on EMT, which most people wouldn't be able to see.

Why it seems that neither the BBC, Central or Yorkshire ever seemed to pick up what region we actually recieved and actually put our local news in the proper place, I don't know, I'm sure they must have heard from frustrated viewers regularly. Though the fact it's still not entirely clean cut and some here people get Emley and some get Belmont would have confused things even if Calendar did cover this area (less so with the BBC as that split didn't happen until 2001), would they put it on the Leeds or East versions?

In some of the higher up parts of town you could get Waltham with a high gain aerial and a booster, but where we live, we've never been able to get a snifter of it.

Maybe in the VHF days were were able to get the Midlands regions, and the newsgathering stuck with us being placed there even after the switch to UHF where we couldn't, but I'm too young to have any experience of that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • RhysJR