BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News

(08-03-2024, 11:03 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Something that was so incredibly frustrating when growing up- that nearly all our local news was covered by EMT and Central, despite the fact virtually nobody who lives here can get them terrestrially. It was only when cable came that people were finally able to get it (and then satellite later on) though of course that still relied on people actually subscribing to cable. I remember us being virtually the only people who were able to see an EMT report on our school in 1999 because we had cable and most others didn't. I also remember a collective sigh from pretty much everyone being at an event in the town centre in the mid-90s (before cable came to the area) and it was announced we could see it later on EMT, which most people wouldn't be able to see.

Why it seems that neither the BBC, Central or Yorkshire ever seemed to pick up what region we actually recieved and actually put our local news in the proper place, I don't know, I'm sure they must have heard from frustrated viewers regularly. Though the fact it's still not entirely clean cut and some here people get Emley and some get Belmont would have confused things even if Calendar did cover this area (less so with the BBC as that split didn't happen until 2001), would they put it on the Leeds or East versions?

In some of the higher up parts of town you could get Waltham with a high gain aerial and a booster, but where we live, we've never been able to get a snifter of it.

Maybe in the VHF days were were able to get the Midlands regions, and the newsgathering stuck with us being placed there even after the switch to UHF where we couldn't, but I'm too young to have any experience of that.

I can vaguely remember seeing both Look North (Leeds) and East Midlands Today (not sure if Look North (Hull) also took part) do a joint programme from Mansfield back in 2008, to celebrate Rebecca Adlington's homecoming after her success at the Olympics that year.

Back in the day, I remember Look North was always introduced “across Yorkshire,
Lincolnshire and the North Midlands…”
[-] The following 2 users Like Manclad83's post:
  • JACKLUFC1998, lookoutwales

Does anyone know what’s happened to the HD project where they are it I think the last upgrade was to Norwich?

(09-03-2024, 06:19 AM)Manclad83 Wrote:  Back in the day, I remember Look North was always introduced “across Yorkshire,
Lincolnshire and the North Midlands…”

That was pre split. And North Midlands would include Chesterfield which definitely is covered.

(08-03-2024, 11:03 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Something that was so incredibly frustrating when growing up- that nearly all our local news was covered by EMT and Central, despite the fact virtually nobody who lives here can get them terrestrially. It was only when cable came that people were finally able to get it (and then satellite later on) though of course that still relied on people actually subscribing to cable. I remember us being virtually the only people who were able to see an EMT report on our school in 1999 because we had cable and most others didn't. I also remember a collective sigh from pretty much everyone being at an event in the town centre in the mid-90s (before cable came to the area) and it was announced we could see it later on EMT, which most people wouldn't be able to see.

Why it seems that neither the BBC, Central or Yorkshire ever seemed to pick up what region we actually recieved and actually put our local news in the proper place, I don't know, I'm sure they must have heard from frustrated viewers regularly. Though the fact it's still not entirely clean cut and some here people get Emley and some get Belmont would have confused things even if Calendar did cover this area (less so with the BBC as that split didn't happen until 2001), would they put it on the Leeds or East versions?

In some of the higher up parts of town you could get Waltham with a high gain aerial and a booster, but where we live, we've never been able to get a snifter of it.

Maybe in the VHF days were were able to get the Midlands regions, and the newsgathering stuck with us being placed there even after the switch to UHF where we couldn't, but I'm too young to have any experience of that.

I share your frustration. Look North Leeds and Calendar West still cover the area. I'm sure the good people of Bakewell, Chesterfield etc aren't interested in what's going on in York or Sheffield but I'm guessing its because of the closeness of the latter that accounts for the coverage.

The TV regions in the U.K. have always been rather large. County and authority boundaries are rather arbitrary to look at it like that. Many folk in Sheffield won’t be too interested in what’s happening in Leeds, even though they are still in Yorkshire. But, I know that folk in Chesterfield and Worksop have more of an affiliation with Sheffield than they do Derby and Nottingham.

Bakewell is borderline but then it depends where in the Peak District/Dales you are as to whether you have more of an affiliation with Manchester, Sheffield or Derby.

(11-03-2024, 04:29 AM)Manclad83 Wrote:  The TV regions in the U.K. have always been rather large. County and authority boundaries are rather arbitrary to look at it like that. Many folk in Sheffield won’t be too interested in what’s happening in Leeds, even though they are still in Yorkshire. But, I know that folk in Chesterfield and Worksop have more of an affiliation with Sheffield than they do Derby and Nottingham.

Bakewell is borderline but then it depends where in the Peak District/Dales you are as to whether you have more of an affiliation with Manchester, Sheffield or Derby.

Agree 100%. I'm from the south of Yorkshire and am not interested in what's going on in Leeds (except the weather). The South Yorks/North Mids 'pseudo-region' has come about because of the range of the Crosspool transmitter and the Sheffield/Chesterfield/Worksop triangle is the core of that.

Bakewell is borderline but there are Sheffield and Derby newspapers for sale there so its a case of 'take your pick

(11-03-2024, 04:29 AM)Manclad83 Wrote:  The TV regions in the U.K. have always been rather large. County and authority boundaries are rather arbitrary to look at it like that. Many folk in Sheffield won’t be too interested in what’s happening in Leeds, even though they are still in Yorkshire. But, I know that folk in Chesterfield and Worksop have more of an affiliation with Sheffield than they do Derby and Nottingham.

Leeds seems to be the media hub for Yorkshire regional TV and radio, as the Yorkshire versions of Capital, Heart and Greatest Hits Radio all come from the city as well.

(11-03-2024, 03:53 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  Leeds seems to be the media hub for Yorkshire regional TV and radio, as the Yorkshire versions of Capital, Heart and Greatest Hits Radio all come from the city as well.

As is Radio News Hub which provides bespoke news bulletins for stations including Boom Radio:
www.radionewshub.com 

(11-03-2024, 07:13 PM)Tardisrotor Wrote:  As is Radio News Hub which provides bespoke news bulletins for stations including Boom Radio:
www.radionewshub.com 

Last I heard, they had switched to the live bulletins from IRN / Sky News Radio (the only live output on the whole station, infact)

Leeds is / was also home to the HQ / playout centre for the Local TV / ex-Made stations, though I'm not sure if that's still the case nowadays, considering how much of their output has been slashed in favour of Talk TV simulcasts.