Schedule changes and special progs following the death of HM Queen Elizabeth II

(09-09-2022, 09:21 PM)madmusician Wrote:  I hope this is the right thread to ask this question. Just out of interest, how did the televised service from St Paul’s interact with the first speech from the new King?  I saw that both were scheduled for 6pm, but have been at work for the last four hours so didn’t see how it played out in terms of how they were both covered by the BBC.

Many thanks Smile

The Dean-Designate opened the service and linked to the King's address. It was audible to those present for the service and at home. At the end we returned to the service.
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • madmusician

(09-09-2022, 06:14 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  ITV on Sunday currently looks like

06:45 Our Queen The People's Stories
07:40 The Queen in Her Own Words
08:30 Queen And Country
09:30 Good Morning Britain
10:30 Queen Elizabeth II
11:30 The Nations Proclaim The King
13:30 ITV News Weekend
14:00 ITV News Special
16:30 The Age Of Elizabeth
17:30 ITV News Weekend
18:15 Regional News
18:30 Emmerdale
19:00 Emmerdale
19:30 Gino's Italy
20:00 Ridley
22:00 ITV News
22:30 The Young Elizabeth
23:30 The Queens Green Planet
00:20 The Queen Remembered
That doesn't look quite right, as both displaced Emmerdales (Thursday and Friday) were hour long episodes (Friday's was due to be an hour due to Tuesday's being pre-empted for football, and Thursday's is always an hour). Why is it listed for two half hours?

Of course, at this point we simply don’t know timings for the moving of The Queen’s body to Edinburgh and lying in state there before being taken to London. Some suggestion of Sunday, some Monday. I’d take anything beyond 24 hours ahead with a large pinch of salt at the moment.

(09-09-2022, 06:49 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(09-09-2022, 10:49 AM)WhisperOfCinnamon Wrote:  No Last Leg on C4 tonight

twitter.com 

Definitely feels like the right call, if you look at the pile on Kevin Bridges is getting after doing a satirical joke that referenced - but wasn't disrespectful about - the Queen's passing. It doesn't seem to be the time to do their style of comedy, certainly not live.

I can understand the BBC being overly cautious but it seems a bit cowardly for the channel that's supposed to be the "risky alternative". And the Last Leg Leg is hardly Brass Eye. It's brand of satire is pretty gentle and toothless anyway. It needn't have even been satirical. Just mention the elephant at the top of the show then get a few safe guests on (maybe not Joe Lycett!) and lighten the mood a bit with some safe off topic last leg banter. The US talkshows last night covered the news respectfuly while managing to lighten the mood (Trevor Noah's monologue was particularly good and thoughtful). I'm sure The Last Leg would've been capable of doing the equivalent over here had ch4 had the balls to go through with it. A little over 24hrs of enforced mourning in people are getting tetchy with this "thou shall not smile" insanity.

Channel 4 did have the balls. The host chose not to do Last Leg this week.

I can’t honestly think of how The Last Leg would have filled the hour though after a section where they pay their own tributes to The Queen.

They’ve gone down a road in recent years of going heavy on politics, particularly when there isn’t any disability sport to talk about, so talking about The Queen first and then berating Liz Truss and politicians for 10 mins on the same day they’ve been paying tribute in Parliament would seem a bit off colour to me.

Yes, quite. Plus no room for a breather because they’re not running ads on Channel 4 at the moment. So they’d have had to run for a solid 30/45/60 minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ash101's post:
  • octothorpe

(09-09-2022, 11:28 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Channel 4 did have the balls. The host chose not to do Last Leg this week.

They might have been consulted but ultimately it wouldn't have been the hosts decision to make on their own. If Channel 4 had wanted the show tonight they would have gotten it. Contractual obligations and all that. 

The Big Breakfast went out the day, and days, after Diana died and coped suprisingly well IIRC. If that show can adapt accordingly to such scenarios then any show can if they're willing to trust themselves.

I will point out that most comedians are going ahead with tour dates for logistics reasons, plus there is no comedy or fun ban in place.

(10-09-2022, 12:33 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  
(09-09-2022, 11:28 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Channel 4 did have the balls. The host chose not to do Last Leg this week.

They might have been consulted but ultimately it wouldn't have been the hosts decision to make on their own. If Channel 4 had wanted the show tonight they would have gotten it. Contractual obligations and all that. 

The Big Breakfast went out the day, and days, after Diana died and coped suprisingly well IIRC. If that show can adapt accordingly to such scenarios then any show can if they're willing to trust themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if Channel 4 may be slightly risk adverse at present. It has the threat of being privatised by the government hanging over its head. I suspect the last thing it wants is to give politicians or tabloids an excuse to be 'outraged' by a joke made about the queen's death, which may then ensure the privatisation happens.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • octothorpe