American Sports Presentation

Would there be any potential broadcast complications possible with temperatures reaching well below 0°F (-20°C). Obviously no equpiment or personnel will regulary be subject to those conditions, but will they be able to prepare for that or be designed for that?

It's another matter whether there should be a NFL match in such extreme weather. Most sensible people would probably think not I'd imagine.

(08-01-2024, 08:38 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Does this mark the first time a NFL play off game hasn’t been nationally free to air? I think all of ESPN’s have been simulcast on ABC?
Carolina v Arizona in Jan 2015 was only on ESPN (not simulcast on ABC as all subsequent ones have been), so it’s the second behind a paywall, the first exclusively on streaming.

(14-01-2024, 12:13 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Would there be any potential broadcast complications possible with temperatures reaching well below 0°F (-20°C). Obviously no equpiment or personnel will regulary be subject to those conditions, but will they be able to prepare for that or be designed for that?
Usually with the cold the biggest issue is anything that relies on batteries. You suddenly need a whole load of extra charged batteries, and have to be ready to swap them out in devices that might go a whole broadcast on one battery (or just more often). How much depends on just how cold it is.

There may be some equipment that just can’t be used, but the core stuff will able to cope. It may need to be covered etc. It’s where the well made (and usually more expensive) stuff comes into its own. In the US they’ll bring in a load of extra heaters!

Then there are the people out there - good broadcast employees will make sure they’ve got the clothing etc to make sure they’ll be OK.
[-] The following 1 user Likes News Engineer's post:
  • RhysJR

Issues with the audio on the Kansas City v Miami game on Peacock (I’m watching on DAZN)..

We couldn’t hear the commentators at the top of the programme just the stadium, now we can only hear the comms with no in-game audio. Sounds awful!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johnnie's post:
  • RhysJR

(14-01-2024, 02:21 AM)Johnnie Wrote:  Issues with the audio on the Kansas City v Miami game on Peacock (I’m watching on DAZN)..

We couldn’t hear the commentators at the top of the programme just the stadium, now we can only hear the comms with no in-game audio. Sounds awful!

Now the NBC Sports graphics have been replaced with world feed/NFL Network graphics on DAZN. I don't think they're the ones seen on the international games, the text is not in italics. The league logo is in the top right rather than the Peacock logo.

The audio still doesn't sound perfect. Don't think any American ads have played out with audio so far.

They’ve switched back to the Peacock feed. Seems ok now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johnnie's post:
  • RhysJR

I hadn't realised it, but the fourth quarter of tonight's NFL is 'commercial free' as it's airing on Peacock only. The same type of additional filler as at Christmas.

Jason Garrett is in the booth with Mike Tirico today, with Cris Collinsworth only covering the one game this weekend, that being the primetime NBC game on Sunday.

(14-01-2024, 02:38 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Now the NBC Sports graphics have been replaced with world feed/NFL Network graphics on DAZN. I don't think they're the ones seen on the international games, the text is not in italics. The league logo is in the top right rather than the Peacock logo.

The audio still doesn't sound perfect. Don't think any American ads have played out with audio so far.

Sky took the World Feed for Browns/Texans. Well, until the first ad break anyway, then they quickly switched to the NBC feed.

Is this the first time the NFL has done a world feed outside the Super Bowl? There was a job posting for a World Feed producer last year for the International games, but people assumed it was for the 2024/25 season due to the UK/German broadcasters using the US feed for pictures.

i.imgur.com 
Web Image

i.imgur.com 
Web Image

[-] The following 1 user Likes TIGHazard's post:
  • RhysJR

I certainly never heard of a world feed for the NFL outside of the Super Bowl before. Interesting development though I think most regular viewers prefer the domestic broadcast.

Here in Brazil, ESPN carried the NBC Sports/Peacock feed, while RedeTV! (which has the FTA rights to the NFL in the country) went with the world feed (they usually use the US host broadcaster feeds).
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArthurVX's post:
  • RhysJR

Not sure if anyone covers coverage of US college sports, but this is just appalling when it comes to award eligibility.

ESPN over the weekend handed back over 30 Emmys to The National Academy for Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) after it reveals that they used altered names of on-air talent as producers (which is not allowed) for the programme, 'ESPN College GameDay', dating back to 2010, they have issued an apology for this, and the staff were disciplined. It was first uncovered by sports publication, The Atlantic.

Source: www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamieMurph25's post:
  • RhysJR