American Sports Presentation

That CBS set looks incredible, obviously the background and good weather helps to elevate it.

Looks like a new scoreboard for CBS, though it is very similar to the old one.

A bit more 3D and a more stylish font.

ITV using a NFL Network scoreboard.

Not sure what to make of the graphics. Like the previous set, they’re exactly the same layout as what came before, just with new fonts and animations, and seem to be a bit of change for the sake of change really. The scorebar in particular looks a bit cheaper than the old one for some reason.

Some of the graphics (presenter names) seem to be more or less exactly the same as the old ones and using the old font. When Bill Vinovich as referee was captioned, it was done identically to the previous look.

The technical quality of the Super Bowl on ITV is horrendous. Lip sync issues in the studio, the feed of the game is intermittently freezing, and the video is full of motion artefacts and shimmering on text. I know we're getting a standards conversion on this side of the pond so it's never going to look perfect, but is there a reason why the Super Bowl tends to look particularly pants?

Edit - they seem to have at least fixed the freezing.
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • aaron_scotland, chrisherald

One of the advantages of having Sky Stream over NOW is that I'm watching the game on Sky Showcase at 50fps. The CBS feed is superb.

Watching this very odd game for the first time ever. It’s been on for about half an hour but the clock shows 3:48 and nothing seems to have happened in any way.

Utter tosh.

Back to a proper sport and the Six Nations!

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, Robbie1123, xlalonce

(12-02-2024, 01:02 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  it's never going to look perfect, but is there a reason why the Super Bowl tends to look particularly pants?
When it was on the BBC, I seem to recall them usually taking the US domestic broadcaster's feed, using the NFL Network international feed as a backup.

There's a few threads on TV Forum, and an example of the feed switching we noticed in 2021: (www.tvforum.co.uk )
[-] The following 2 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • chrisherald, IanJRedman

One thing I like about ITV's presentation is that the studio presenter and pundits are actually in the stadium. When the BBC did it, the constant cutting back to a silent studio really killed the flow (although I fully understand the financial reasons for that!)
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • chrisherald, fanoftv

(12-02-2024, 01:48 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  One thing I like about ITV's presentation is that the studio presenter and pundits are actually in the stadium. When the BBC did it, the constant cutting back to a silent studio really killed the flow (although I fully understand the financial reasons for that!)

BBC were in the stadium pre-Covid and it wouldn't surprise me if they still had the rights that they would be in the stadium again now things are back to normal.
[-] The following 3 users Like robrymond's post:
  • chrisherald, IanJRedman, News Engineer

The switching between the new look scorebar and the old look lower thirds when the scorebar is removed is quite odd, it’s like the scorebar (and the graphics that appear around it) come from a completely different package to the rest of the graphics, which are essentially the same as before.

Add to that before kick off lower thirds with a completely different font again for names and a strange border around them (see the fifth picture in post #169 for what I mean) were used but these didn’t seem to reappear after kick off.

It’s a total mess from CBS I’m afraid - they’d have been better off not changing at all then having this mish mosh of three different styles.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • chrisherald, scottishtv