American Sports Presentation

Have to agree with others that the new CBS graphics are a downgrade. The only change I like is that there a line above the team in possession to show they are in possession. Previously, the only way on their graphic to establish that was that the down indicator was the same colour. So that's a little clearer, not much else is better. I think it's Amazon that's the least clear possession indicator.

(11-02-2024, 08:51 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  After halftime, CBS will air an NFL-produced ad filmed in Ghana, with unconfirmed reports one African country will also house an International Series game for 2025, adding to the London and Germany Games, plus new games in Madrid, Spain (who also joins from 2025), and São Paulo, Brazil (which is temporarily replacing Mexico City from next season due to the remodel of Azteca Stadium for the 2026 World Cup); however, such move is not confirmed and the ad, teased during the AFC Championship game, is part of the NFL's "Born to Play" global initiative campaign.

No announcment of an African game in that ad, it ws just a part of the Born to Play campaign. A cameo from ITV's Osi Umenyiora on the other side with that though - quite probably one of the biggest African-born players in the NFL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • London Lite

I was going to say the new CBS touchdown indicator was a bit underwhelming (just a +6 appearing in their box on the scoreboard) and then a massive AR graphic covering the whole stand behind the goal with fake fireworks appeared.

Not assurreal as FOX's cartoons of the scorers.

And Jim Nantz goes up to tied fourth in the number of Super Bowls called on US TV. Joe Buck will draw level again in 2028 if there is no surprise commentary musical chairs.

x.com 
  • scottishtv

Looks like the ITV on-air resources got a bit stretched towards the end of the game.
Near the end of the fourth quarter, Maurice Jones-Drew had to leave the commentary box to go pitchside (I was expecting Martin Brundle-esque in F1 and him doing interviews but ITV viewers never saw him again). This saw Jason Bell move to the commentary for the last section of the fourth quarter and all of the played overtime. Then, right on the finish, Osi Umenyiora had to leave to catch a flight, meaning Efe Obada and Jason Bell were left for the post game studio.

A great broadcast by all.

Still will never understand the logic of American trophy presentations with the owner receiving it before anyone else.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • chrisherald, scottishtv

(12-02-2024, 01:48 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  One thing I like about ITV's presentation is that the studio presenter and pundits are actually in the stadium. When the BBC did it, the constant cutting back to a silent studio really killed the flow (although I fully understand the financial reasons for that!)

So they can get out to Vegas for an overnight broadcast of a minor sport but couldn't get over to Dublin for a major international event earlier in the day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(12-02-2024, 09:13 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  So they can get out to Vegas for an overnight broadcast of a minor sport but couldn't get over to Dublin for a major international event earlier in the day.

To be fair VMTV didn’t bother either and they are a seven mile drive from the Aviva rather than in London! I’d not be surprised if the NFL stumped up some or all of ITV’s travel costs from the promotional point of view. I didn’t watch much of ITV’s coverage but they seemed to be using bespoke lower thirds - certainly quite different to what they used for the rugby. Also found it odd that Jason Bell, after working all season for Sky spent the Super Bowl with ITV - leaving Pheobe Schecter as Sky’s only regular analyst doing the big game (it seems Jeff Reinebold’s coaching commitments with Hawaii don’t seem to allow him as much time with Sky as he previously had).

Did CBS’ much vaunted “doink cam” get any usage? I certainly didn’t see it used in the first half (which is all I could get to see live).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • chrisherald

That's quite odd from VMTV.

Yes, good point about the NFL perhaps funding the coverage. I wonder how much the UK market brings in for them - traditionally the rights have almost been given away but there is undoubtedly a growing and loyal fan base here.

P.S. What graphics did the Univision Spanish language broadcast use?

The best bits of the Nickelodeon broadcast.

Was this available outside the US at all?

youtu.be 

(12-02-2024, 10:49 AM)Rdd Wrote:  To be fair VMTV didn’t bother either and they are a seven mile drive from the Aviva rather than in London! I’d not be surprised if the NFL stumped up some or all of ITV’s travel costs from the promotional point of view. I didn’t watch much of ITV’s coverage but they seemed to be using bespoke lower thirds - certainly quite different to what they used for the rugby. Also found it odd that Jason Bell, after working all season for Sky spent the Super Bowl with ITV - leaving Pheobe Schecter as Sky’s only regular analyst doing the big game (it seems Jeff Reinebold’s coaching commitments with Hawaii don’t seem to allow him as much time with Sky as he previously had).

Did CBS’ much vaunted “doink cam” get any usage? I certainly didn’t see it used in the first half (which is all I could get to see live).

ITV's NFL coverage used the same graphics as the football (soccer) last season, then went there own way this season (like rugby has done).

Jeff was part of the talkSPORT team, rather than being with Sky for some reason.

twitter.com 

A kickoff by San Francisco late in the fourth quarter did hit the post and caused a large doink to be heard (it sounded too loud to be real for me, but maybe they just had mics in the posts and turned up), but I don't think the cameras themselves were ever used.
  • Rdd

Over a million viewers across Sky and ITV for last night.

I never knew the ratings shut down at 2am, though apart from some sport, breaking news and simulcasts of US premieres, I guess there is not much worth recording data for after then.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Happy2001

After 2am will be recorded tomorrow - that figure might will show how many stuck with it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, Happy2001, RhysJR

(12-02-2024, 01:56 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  A kickoff by San Francisco late in the fourth quarter did hit the post and caused a large doink to be heard (it sounded too loud to be real for me, but maybe they just had mics in the posts and turned up), but I don't think the cameras themselves were ever used.

The cam wasn't used then, but was used on at least two of the field goals.

[-] The following 3 users Like Johnnie's post:
  • chrisherald, Rdd, RhysJR