TV Mistakes/Breakdowns

I’m pretty sure TM and TTTP promos were live. Around 1993, I saw a TM trail go to air after the 9.25 quiz show, which was just Richard and Judy in vision on the set, and I believe at some point during this trail Granada went to feeding it “clean” to the regions so they could run their ads or local news. For some reason, Tyne Tees stayed with the trail for a good ten seconds after R&J had finished speaking, and we saw Richard pick up a plastic coffee cup from out of shot and put it (back) on the desk/table in front of him, then a runner approached Judy with some paperwork and she said “just leave it on the desk, please, Rona/Rhoda” before we finally faded out and went to the ads or whatever was next. Quite an amusing booboo; shame I didn’t have it on tape.

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…

Watching the error again, after we finish seeing the TTTP promo, and head to the VT clock instead of TM, is it possible that Liverpool, where TM came from, was unaware they weren't on air? Also, we saw that from Tyne Tees, so is it then possible that when Tyne Tees saw the VT clock, that was perhaps an error at Tyne Tees, and other regions would've heard/seen TM?

I think it is unlikely to have been a Tyne Tees fault. Anglia would have played out the programme to Granada who would have sent it to everyone else, to save BT switches and save tying up circuits. Much like Central handling CITV as a complete package into the other stations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Si-Co

(22-08-2022, 12:52 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I think it is unlikely to have been a Tyne Tees fault. Anglia would have played out the programme to Granada who would have sent it to everyone else, to save BT switches and save tying up circuits. Much like Central handling CITV as a complete package into the other stations.

Basically, Granada would've been contracted to provide the morning ITV service, and so they would've taken the feeds for Lucky Ladders from Anglia, and passed the feed onto everyone else?

I wouldn't like to speculate on whether it was a contractual thing, but it was certainly more convenient.

This way, you need three feeds into Granada (TTTP, TM and the next programme) and one feed to the rest of the country. The alternative is three feeds into every ITV station. If BT are charging each time they make that switch there's an obvious saving to be had, and not every station had three incoming circuits.

Heres an old Thames routine sheet showing that most of the evening schedule was being fed to the network via Thames, including Coronation Strees from Granada (not sure why they did it that way on this occasion, it wasn't standard practice).

routinesheetsdatabase.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Si-Co, TVFan

A rare timing blunder on BBC One network heading into Question Time (1989). No time for an announcement - just a brief glance of symbol.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clean Feed's post:
  • Si-Co

Interesting one. The lack of cue dots suggest it wasn't a live edition and was not being played out as-live from a remote edit suite, so presumably it had been recorded down the line by TV Centre VT. The Network Director would have had remote control of the VT machine, so I guess the most likely thing is that they either hit play at the wrong time or there was a miscommunication with the announcer about a change to the running order and the Cagney and Lacey slide should have been dropped.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Clean Feed

A power failure causes the rugby league to go off air for a couple of minutes. Luckilly, Grandstand fills with latest scores and racing results, while Alex Murphy nips to put 50p in the meter!

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like robertclark125's post:
  • Steve in Pudsey, The Decimator

(23-08-2022, 05:42 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Interesting one. The lack of cue dots suggest it wasn't a live edition and was not being played out as-live from a remote edit suite, so presumably it had been recorded down the line by TV Centre VT. The Network Director would have had remote control of the VT machine, so I guess the most likely thing is that they either hit play at the wrong time or there was a miscommunication with the announcer about a change to the running order and the Cagney and Lacey slide should have been dropped.

The announcer was calmly working through those slides, blissfully unaware...so I wonder what direction she was getting in her ear. Wonder how the junction played out in the nations.

The announcer was just about to speak when the music for Question Time began, suggesting the play button was pressed too early.