TV Mistakes/Breakdowns

(27-05-2023, 07:29 AM)robertclark125 Wrote:  Correct, did not affect sky sports Premier league. What I think happened was, on main event, they played out the sponsorship sting too early, as they were to go over to golf at 10.45pm, but they played it out as soon as the match finished.

Yeah this is the thing with Main Event as I think its a legacy of the old Sky Sports 1/2 thing where it's fed to other broadcasters who don't have the themed channels, so if something overruns and they have to go to something else pretty much immediately that's due to start, it looks a bit sloppy.

Sometimes it depends on the scheduling. If its the preable/warm-up/build-up which is basically some VT and a load of waffling,, it can be dropped on Main Event (such as if football kicks off at 4:30 and Main Event is due to join at 4pm but the motor racing has been held up and will finish at c. 4:20pm, it'll usually carry on on Main Event), otherwise you get the whole "for viewers on Main Event please switch over to Sky Sports F1 to continue watching" thing.

www.youtube.com 

Late night fault from ZDF (Germany)
[-] The following 1 user Likes dbl's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

www.youtube.com  Breakdown From SRF (Switzerland

Over on ITV1, The announcer had a bit of trouble with the buttons into Emmerdale tonight
www.tvhome.co.uk 
[-] The following 9 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bilky asko, CCFG, channel4squares1, DavidV, IanJRedman, Larry the Loafer, octothorpe, Si-Co, TJTSW

The sound went off during The Upper Hand, but what exactly caused it to happen back in 1993? I guess we'll never know, but do enjoy the music.
youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes channel4squares1's post:
  • Si-Co

Almost certainly a playout issue at Birmingham I would have thought, The Upper Hand being a Central show, so it was probably seen everywhere.

That's the back end of Series 5 according to that date, but that image Carlton are using appears on the Series 2 DVD release...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • channel4squares1

That slide with the programme name in three different font sizes is hideous

(11-06-2023, 03:47 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  That slide with the programme name in three different font sizes is hideous

That was one of Carlton's trademark styles IIRC.

(11-06-2023, 04:47 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  That was one of Carlton's trademark styles IIRC.
I really like that style, looks very 90's as does a lot of Carltons early stuff but still really like it.

Although it's odd looking at some of their early promos where they'd squish or stretch images, years before 16:9 and ARCing came along and stretching images became an error rather than something artistic

(11-06-2023, 06:08 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I really like that style, looks very 90's as does a lot of Carltons early stuff but still really like it.

Although it's odd looking at some of their early promos where they'd squish or stretch images, years before 16:9 and ARCing came along and stretching images became an error rather than something artistic

Just FYI, Carlton had their own promotions producing section at the London TV Centre, It was about the only 'practical' ITV related broadcasting section they had. Lots of very fancy kit, much of it made by Abekas and Quantel which of course Carlton owned at that point. Very nice bunch of people.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecortina's post:
  • Stooky Bill