What is your all time favourite TV Presentation Package?

No particular order:
- Channel 4 1999 (original music)
- BBC One Balloon
- More 4 2005
- BBC Two 1991-2001
- S4C dragon idents
[-] The following 1 user Likes F4C's post:
  • TimGoodwin

(03-11-2022, 07:35 PM)Intercity225 Wrote:  The LWT idents from ‘river’ until the penultimate one (excluding the ‘nightlife’ ident)
Really? Their penultimate package was the generic 1999 hearts...

(14-09-2022, 08:34 PM)LoganStuff Wrote:  While I wouldn't call it my overall favourite, I think the 'Rhythm & Movement' package from BBC One is wholly underrated, and gets a lot of undeserved negativity surrounding it. The idents had a very strong identity, a consistent red colour scheme and a recognisable musical motif, elements which are missing even from the current BBC One branding. Some idents were quite beautiful too, such as the 'Skaters' ident shot in Belfast, as well as the 'Ballet' and 'Tai Chi' idents, combining stunning music with some stellar movement / dancing. It's not without its flaws, of course, but it definitely deserves more praise than what it gets.

My overall favourite is definitely BBC Two from 1991 - 2001. I don't think I really need to explain why, and I imagine plenty of others will pick that as their favourite too.

Yes, I would go so far as to say that 'Rhythm and Movement' are the most underrated set of major idents. As you say, they are generally very strong across pretty much all aspects of branding, as well as being memorable and consistent. Also, in terms of the sheer range of 'moods' within the whole package, it is one of only a few that come close to the 1991 2s. For all their beauty, the balloons were a bit limited on that front, and, despite all the flak that Ballet got for introducing news programming, it always felt more serious and appropriate than any of the 'Circle' idents.

I think there is a general tendency for replacements of very strong packages to get unjustly criticised - I feel that both the 'Personality 2s' and 'Window on the World' are also overlooked purely because of the strength of the 1991 2s, but they are both very strong sets of idents. This can also happen in reverse - some of the reaction to the Lens idents felt, to me, to be overly generous merely because they replaced the very poor Oneness set.

-

To the broader premise of the thread, it is hard to fault the 1991-01 2s, but picking a favourite can do misservice to so many good packages over the years. BBC One's Balloons, Rhythm and Circle idents are all high scoring packages in my eyes, as are all the modern BBC Two sets. Channel 4 have had more than their fair share of good idents and ITV Creates deserves a mention, not simply because it has always impressed me, but because it is so wildly different in quality from most other ITV presentation, which has typically fallen on the scale between dire and bland.

There's also are also some odd cases - BBC1's 1991 ident is technically and aesthetically brilliant, but always seems to me to be wholly unsuited for BBC One. BBC Four's 'Four Segments' has some very good idents in its original set, but the whole package is inconsistent and newer additions are not just poor but seem to fail to understand what made the originals good.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • Steve in Pudsey, TesTVWhirl

Channel 4’s stripes and illusion packages are probably my most favourite, but i’ll focus on the ones I have a soft spot for that haven’t made an appearance in here yet.

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

S4C was very on form in the mid-00’s - their packages seemed a little more daring and experimental, especially with the Voice idents - way ahead of their time and all deserve a lot more appreciation. It’s a shame they’re looking a lot more generic these days.

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

I feel like the Sky 1,2 and 3 package from 2008 is painfully underrated to me - we’re going to see this concept return (in a way) in the next couple of weeks with ITV, but there’s something so alluring about this concept of the elements, and it had so so much potential to be taken further and have more idents added to the package. Unfortunately this is Sky, so it only lasted a couple of years.

Being French I'll probably only speak of what I know, but I have immense nostalgia for France 3's successive presentations from 1992 to 2003, and in particular the one used from 1992 to 1995, the very first bearing the name France 3.

The elegant simplicity of the division of the screen into three horizontal stripes, combined with a poetic sound design and beautiful imagery (natural elements for ad breaks, various clock shapes for trailers), is truly memorable.

The longest-running element of the 1992 identity was the channel ident used at closedown and at opening, which, if ignoring a musical variant and frequent replacement of the video snippets, was left virtually inchanged in its principle.

[The following video contains footage of bullfighting from 1:28 to 1:34.]
www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

And some more over there medias.lenodal.com 

am french donkey, heehaw
[-] The following 2 users Like Morganeko's post:
  • London Lite, Roger Darthwell

LWT Solari and Genesis idents:

< Websnatched video removed >

www.youtube.com 

Admin reminder: please do not post links to content that has clearly been websnatched from presentation websites.

(12-11-2022, 09:27 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  LWT Solari and Genesis idents:

< Websnatched video removed >

www.youtube.com 

Admin reminder: please do not post links to content that has clearly been websnatched from presentation websites.

Thanks for the tip.

The 1991-2001 BBC2 idents.

(Mod edit: Dead image link removed)

BrandonH: Archiving Television Past and Present.

YTVs Liquid Gold ident an absolute masterpiece, bbc world news 1999 package, Carlton star/hearts from 1999, bbc news Arabic the original package that really was wonderful but short lived, star sports India current package which has been around for a few years great 3d going on there, tyne tees from the early 90s, I like how they showed the characteristics of the region whilst the tyne tees logo was revolving and they tried it over three backgrounds over three years of it’s existence and of course the central cake truely great.

Lastly the itv schools from 1987 with that wonderful music amazing work from Central.

(19-11-2022, 09:20 PM)harshy Wrote:  YTVs Liquid Gold ident an absolute masterpiece, bbc world news 1999 package, Carlton star/hearts from 1999, bbc news Arabic the original package that really was wonderful but short lived, star sports India current package which has been around for a few years great 3d going on there, tyne tees from the early 90s, I like how they showed the characteristics of the region whilst the tyne tees logo was revolving and they tried it over three backgrounds over three years of it’s existence and of course the central cake truely great.

Lastly the itv schools from 1987 with that wonderful music amazing work from Central.

Say what you want about Carlton but their onscreen idents were superb.
[-] The following 4 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • harshy, insert_good_username_here, Rijowhi, Stuart