What is your all time favourite TV Presentation Package?

Carlton's idents were always quite charming (bar the first one). It's a shame that from what I hear, the same couldn't be said for their actual programming.
[-] The following 2 users Like NancerInTheCafe's post:
  • Rijowhi, sparky_75

(20-11-2022, 01:31 AM)NancerInTheCafe Wrote:  Carlton's idents were always quite charming (bar the first one). It's a shame that from what I hear, the same couldn't be said for their actual programming.

The only good programming I can think of was giving Dave Allen a couple of more series.

The Central TV package in the mid 90’s was superb (most of their stuff was). I loved the music of the original 1982 ident as well. The Carlton 1999 set were amazing, just a shame they got rid of the Central branding…

Channel 4’s original 1982 idents and the Yorkshire ‘Liquid Gold’ era were also magnificent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rijowhi's post:
  • sparky_75

For me - Central's 1982 package; used from their opening was great.
I loved the Film Animated globe and purpose composed music.

The 1985 re-brand moved it all with the times; though I wan't set on the library music to accompany it.

(17-12-2022, 02:29 PM)sparky_75 Wrote:  For me - Central's 1982 package; used from their opening was great.

The 1985 re-brand moved it all with the times; though I wan't set on the library music to accompany it.
The orignal 1982 Central globe ident was rather bland. It ended with simply a shadowed sphere.

www.youtube.com 

They didn't really introduce any colour until later that year, and later to the 'cake'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • sparky_75

(18-12-2022, 07:46 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(17-12-2022, 02:29 PM)sparky_75 Wrote:  For me - Central's 1982 package; used from their opening was great.

The orignal 1982 Central globe ident was rather bland. It ended with simply a shadowed sphere.

www.youtube.com 

They didn't really introduce any colour until later that year, and later to the 'cake'.
I always thought it was odd that the endcaps had the coloured globe from day one but, as you say, the ident just had the shadow.

I guess it was probably too difficult technically for a filmed model to have the rainbow colours included.

Visually though, the original ident was rather more interesting than the subsequent computer generated globe on which the colours just slowly faded on.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Si-Co, sparky_75, Stuart

(20-11-2022, 01:31 AM)NancerInTheCafe Wrote:  Carlton's idents were always quite charming (bar the first one). It's a shame that from what I hear, the same couldn't be said for their actual programming.
Staff Relations & HR were debateable too.

They upped their shares in Central - sold everything off, sacked a majority of the staff, and then axed programmes.
Not in that order.

The way staff were sacked was less than tactful - all staff were hauled to a conference to be shown a 5minute film about being made redundant.
Those that could get to the conference were kindly sent a copy on VHS.

I could write pages on Carlton politics...... Angry

(18-12-2022, 07:46 PM)Stuart Wrote:  

www.youtube.com 

Animated by David Speed. Using an 2 halves of an 8" plastic sphere, hinged at the bottom.
Look close enough, you'll see the join as it used two seperate  peices of animation! Smile

The Coloured globe was part of the 1982 brand - as it was used at the start of the morning start up and used to accompany the digital clock used in links before the news.
The Minale Tattersfield Design brief from 1981, included the coloured globe; for some reason - on screen they used the Blue/white sphere throughout 1982 & 1983.

The animated Coloured globe was worked on during 1983 - and didn't go into use until the end of '83, so was first seen on screen in 1984.
The 'Cake' was part of the Autumn 1985 re-brand.
[-] The following 6 users Like sparky_75's post:
  • chevron, Kojak, Mixdown, Spencer, Stuart, stusoldvideo

Sky Tombstone Idents (1995-1997)

youtu.be 

I clearly remember this having an effect at the time as I would go round to a neighbours and put the music loop station thingy on the television much to their bemusement.

Plus, it has a good consistent look and the second version of the era just ticks all of the boxes.

P.S. This coming from a supposedly Beeb ally.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • Stuart

TVNZ
www.youtube.com 

(18-12-2022, 08:05 PM)sparky_75 Wrote:  
Staff Relations & HR were debateable too.

They upped their shares in Central - sold everything off, sacked a majority of the staff, and then axed programmes.
Not in that order.

The way staff were sacked was less than tactful - all staff were hauled to a conference to be shown a 5minute film about being made redundant.
Those that could get to the conference were kindly sent a copy on VHS.

I could write pages on Carlton politics...... Angry

(18-12-2022, 07:46 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The orignal 1982 Central globe ident was rather bland. It ended with simply a shadowed sphere.

www.youtube.com 

Animated by David Speed. Using an 2 halves of an 8" plastic sphere, hinged at the bottom.
Look close enough, you'll see the join as it used two seperate  peices of animation! Smile

The Coloured globe was part of the 1982 brand - as it was used at the start of the morning start up and used to accompany the digital clock used in links before the news.
The Minale Tattersfield Design brief from 1981, included the coloured globe; for some reason - on screen they used the Blue/white sphere throughout 1982 & 1983.

The animated Coloured globe was worked on during 1983 - and didn't go into use until the end of '83, so was first seen on screen in 1984.
The 'Cake' was part of the Autumn 1985 re-brand.
I don’t suppose you happen to know why, despite introducing the Cake for regional presentation in 1985, they continued to use the sphere on programme frontcaps and endcaps until 1988?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • sparky_75