Government re-examining case for selling Channel 4

If the government is removing the publisher broadcaster requirement from Channel 4, does that mean we will see more in-house productions from the channel?

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(05-01-2023, 01:15 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  If the government is removing the publisher broadcaster requirement from Channel 4, does that mean we will see more in-house productions from the channel?

I imagine we'll probably see something similar to Channel 5 which has an inhouse production company but the vast majority of the shows are by indies.
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • benzj, Rijowhi

Variety has interviewed Alex Mahon on her response to the announcement:

variety.com 

(05-01-2023, 01:15 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  If the government is removing the publisher broadcaster requirement from Channel 4, does that mean we will see more in-house productions from the channel?
More than there is now, which is none! 

What it means is that it will be able to make its own programmes, but whether that means they will have to make a certain amount I don't know. 

It would be in their (and their owners the  government's) interest of course because they don't own any of its programmes. Having some IP to sell and make money from will benefit the corporation. How they do that will be interesting, they'll either start a production dept from scratch or buy a small indie. 

The idea will be unpopular with independent production companies of course.

Politics aside, what was the big fuss about C4 being sold anyway? It’s not as though it really makes anything irreplaceable, just glancing over the schedules looks to be a bit of a wasteland of repeats and imports. Its best days look behind it.

So, other than nostalgia, what would we have lost had it been sold?

GET FUNKY | BE FUNKY | STAY FUNKY | YO HUSSLE HUSSLE

(05-01-2023, 08:42 PM)Parsons Wrote:  Politics aside, what was the big fuss about C4 being sold anyway? It’s not as though it really makes anything irreplaceable, just glancing over the schedules looks to be a bit of a wasteland of repeats and imports. Its best days look behind it. 

Think that's a rather big mischaracterisation of what Channel 4 shows - they have some of the most well-liked shows in the country. Gogglebox, First Dates, GBBO, 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown. They are also the PSB with the biggest track record of commissioning unconventional or experimental series - sometimes it fails, sometimes it becomes a beloved item. That would be at risk if owned by a private company with a profit motive.
[-] The following 3 users Like strollfan's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, benzj, bkman1990

I would argue that all of those programmes you list, which are current, are hardly cutting edge. In fact, they are all a bit mundane.

I accept that Big Brother, in its early years was groundbreaking, and in the 80s and 90s the comedy and satire were indeed unconventional and experimental. But that’s not the C4 of today.

I also would say that Netflix, the ultimate example of where capitalism gets you in tv entertainment has innovated and taken risks with its content significantly more than C4 has over the last 5 years.

GET FUNKY | BE FUNKY | STAY FUNKY | YO HUSSLE HUSSLE

(05-01-2023, 08:42 PM)Parsons Wrote:  Politics aside, what was the big fuss about C4 being sold anyway? It’s not as though it really makes anything irreplaceable, just glancing over the schedules looks to be a bit of a wasteland of repeats and imports. Its best days look behind it. 

The Daytime schedule may be mainly full of Repeats & Imports and it's  less innovative then it used to be but when it can (It's A Sin, We Are Lady Parts) it shows that it can still be useful.
[-] The following 3 users Like Happy2001's post:
  • bkman1990, strollfan, Tim G

I’m becoming increasingly amused at people citing It’s A Sin - a high profile but not actually that good series from 2 years ago - as being one of the things Channel 4 does well. Their biggest show these days is a baking programme they stole off the BBC. Their comedy is lazy and predictable (The Last Leg especially). There is a distinct lack of breakthrough shows and emerging talent. I’m glad it’s not being sold but I’d love the Channel 4 of old to return.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • Jon, Parsons

(06-01-2023, 01:55 PM)Happy2001 Wrote:  

The Daytime schedule may be mainly full of Repeats & Imports and it's  less innovative then it used to be but when it can (It's A Sin, We Are Lady Parts) it shows that it can still be useful.
They've always had a problem with daytime, once school programmes and a breakfast programme went they had a lot of time to fill. Steffs Packed Lunch seems to be doing well, it's a good watch and a bit of a different spin on daytime
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Parsons