ITV News

Watching the News at Ten tonight and noticed that they seem to have some differences using the Name Straps, some reports would have there usal movement coming on and off while other reports would just fade on and off, then during the end of Nicola Sturgin report the name strap for the next report flashed on and off even the Live tag came on early but flashed off

just seemed it was odd there was the mix of both for different reports anyone have any ideas? has this happened before and ive just not noticed?
[-] The following 1 user Likes TJTSW's post:
  • Superman1986

(31-01-2024, 11:38 PM)TJTSW Wrote:  Watching the News at Ten tonight and noticed that they seem to have some differences using the Name Straps, some reports would have there usal movement coming on and off while other reports would just fade on and off, then during the end of Nicola Sturgin report the name strap for the next report flashed on and off even the Live tag came on early but flashed off

just seemed it was odd there was the mix of both for different reports anyone have any ideas? has this happened before and ive just not noticed?

The name straps are sometimes 'faded on' when the time on screen is limited so to give the most amount of time for viewers to read them. The other issue sounds like an error
[-] The following 1 user Likes newsjunkie's post:
  • TJTSW

Thank you, just the first time I noticed it tonight, maybe the error one made me look closer at the name straps after that

Would straps/banners be added to packages or reports in edit? Maybe this is the difference between "burnt in" straps on pre-packaged reports, versus straps played out live from the gallery of live reports etc? The former fades in/out, the latter animates in/out?

(01-02-2024, 01:00 PM)soulfulscotsman Wrote:  Would straps/banners be added to packages or reports in edit? Maybe this is the difference between "burnt in" straps on pre-packaged reports, versus straps played out live from the gallery of live reports etc? The former fades in/out, the latter animates in/out?

Certainly in the regions they’re added live.

Worth noting there’s a new system being rolled out in galleries across regions and I presume national too. Not sure where it’s up to but this may explain some very slight changes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • TJTSW

I have been wondering would ITV News had been better in extending News at Ten to a one hour slot instead of the Evening News.

I have been watching ITV News at Ten this week, and I just feel the one hour Evening News might be a bit too heavy for 6.30pm at night, and the 10pm hour would be better.

News at Ten hour with local news included at 10.30pm I feel would be nice, but then someone pointed out to me how on some occasions ITV1 likes to push News at Ten to a later slot, would probably cause problems, yes I see their point.

Sorry, was just on my mind tonight.
[-] The following 3 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Superman1986, TJTSW

No, the only reason it is extended is that ITV wanted to fill an extra 30 minutes of primetime reasonably cheaply. They don't much care about after 10:30.
[-] The following 7 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chris, fatal paper cut, Superman1986, UTVLifer, XIII

The 6.30pm news is the flagship and rates the best not to mention the reasons mentioned above.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Superman1986

Though with the rugby today, the Evening News was considerably curtailed. The regional news was still on air at 18:15, and I think Charlene wrapped up at 18:35ish (with the weather coming after the outro), so it was close to 15 minutes in length.

Yes, I was channel hopping at about 6.37pm and wondering why the weather was on already. They do seem to prefer a 45 minute build up to live matches now, although the recent FA Cup games have only had half an hour build up.

In terms of cost saving though as much as soap fans would hate it, even though they always complain the soaps are on too much and should go back to three episodes a week, the next logical step is not rescheduling episodes, or at least all episodes, displaced by sport.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Pips2022

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread