Unused Idents and Presentation

As radio is on-topic here, here's how Radio 5 could have sounded

soundcloud.com 

(I think that package ended up being resung for Radio York)
[-] The following 5 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Blubatt, Clean Feed, Former Member 406, Roger Darthwell, Stooky Bill

(10-10-2022, 08:31 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  As radio is on-topic here, here's how Radio 5 could have sounded

soundcloud.com 

(I think that package ended up being resung for Radio York)

Such a 1980s sound - and one that I'd associate with Radio 1.
[-] The following 2 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Steve in Pudsey

(29-09-2022, 09:32 PM)Frances Wrote:  IIRC that infamous Oneness had an unused figure sketching ident…

Is there any footage of that ident anywhere?

(10-10-2022, 06:46 PM)Critique Wrote:  
(10-10-2022, 06:31 PM)Si-Co Wrote:  
(09-10-2022, 09:35 PM)cylon6 Wrote:  This Channel 4 Ident from their excellent optical illusion era was never used on-screen. A shame as it's a good one. I think it's called Drunk Man.

youtu.be 

This seems very long to be an ident - the “4” doesn’t appear until about 40 seconds in - perhaps that’s the reason it wasn’t used? Or it was an early “cut” and would have been re-edited or remade if it was used.

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of it either. It also doesn't quite fit the structure of the rest of the set, in that the blocks have to deliberately move to make the '4' form-up and then move away to break it up, rather than it being a camera angle thing that means that the '4' is briefly formed.

Perhaps it was never intended to be an ident, but a promo for something or other. Like to say, it’s nothing like the rest of the set.

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…

(09-10-2022, 09:35 PM)cylon6 Wrote:  This Channel 4 Ident from their excellent optical illusion era was never used on-screen. A shame as it's a good one. I think it's called Drunk Man.

youtu.be 

This seems very long to be an ident - the “4” doesn’t appear until about 40 seconds in - perhaps that’s the reason it wasn’t used? Or it was an early “cut” and would have been re-edited or remade if it was used.

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of it either. It also doesn't quite fit the structure of the rest of the set, in that the blocks have to deliberately move to make the '4' form-up and then move away to break it up, rather than it being a camera angle thing that means that the '4' is briefly formed.

Not all of those idents were about the camera angle, there were a few where the blocks moved around like that - UFO, Bowls, Sofa. It also fits alongside the one with pigeons in Trafalgar Square, for example.

It was a bit long though, that set had a few different durations to fit requirements but the longer ones were all 40 seconds. So that might be why it wasn't used, though I wouldn't be surprised if they just decided in the end that the subject matter wasn't apporopriate.
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • cylon6, insert_good_username_here

(11-10-2022, 12:21 PM)IdentFan101 Wrote:  
(29-09-2022, 09:32 PM)Frances Wrote:  IIRC that infamous Oneness had an unused figure sketching ident…

Is there any footage of that ident anywhere?
I saw that so many years ago from a clip uploaded by someone who took part in the production of Oneness…
Didn’t find that again but I can make sure it’s not a mock.

(12-10-2022, 04:56 AM)Transmission Wrote:  

youtu.be 

Not all of those idents were about the camera angle, there were a few where the blocks moved around like that - UFO, Bowls, Sofa. It also fits alongside the one with pigeons in Trafalgar Square, for example.

It was a bit long though, that set had a few different durations to fit requirements but the longer ones were all 40 seconds. So that might be why it wasn't used, though I wouldn't be surprised if they just decided in the end that the subject matter wasn't apporopriate.

I'd say the main reason it wasn't used is that it could be seen to poke fun at people with a drinking problem.
[-] The following 2 users Like Whataday's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Si-Co

Some 16:9 UKTV idents from the early 2000s, courtesy of VMPhil:
twitter.com 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 2 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • octothorpe, TVFan

Since then I've found a couple of people actually saved the video clips from LN website at the time and uploaded them to YouTube.

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • W. Knight

Across the States: Some O&O opens from NBC's 2011 package, featured in their in-house design department's 20th birthday video:
nbcarthouse.com 

[Image: image.thumb.png.648c75c92498a418b7dc9a707b66cb5f.png]
[Image: image.thumb.png.75c8b65a1ddddfc9c9856009031203ca.png]
[Image: image.thumb.png.d71b6003b31daed330625fb6ad4b57e2.png]
[Image: image.thumb.png.552163827c3784fa6a5a0b008278f1b5.png]
(Captures courtesy of Geoffrey from TVNewsTalk)

According to the same thread, the attempt in standardizing the stations to NBC (City) didn't receive well - only used in the likes of KNSD (San Diego) and WCAU (Philly). In hindsight, I think it's quite a sharp and clean-looking package, but certainly alien to the CGI overload that is the American local station graphics. It doesn't look too out of place now, when both CBS and PBS are doing similar things.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Medianext.MX