Unused Idents and Presentation

(11-10-2022, 12:21 PM)IdentFan101 Wrote:  
(29-09-2022, 09:32 PM)Frances Wrote:  IIRC that infamous Oneness had an unused figure sketching ident…

Is there any footage of that ident anywhere?

There was a still image featured in a behind the scenes/retrospective video from BBC Creative's website:

[Image: onenessfiguresketching.png]

What was the footage of, the camera panning around a nude model with the lens covering his bottom? What would the alternative scenes be? I dread to think!  Big Grin

(24-10-2022, 08:45 PM)rick Wrote:  What was the footage of, the camera panning around a nude model with the lens covering his bottom? What would the alternative scenes be? I dread to think!  Big Grin

Oneness, not the current package - no camera movement at all, presumably!
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • Frances, insert_good_username_here

Ah I skim read and thought this was for the Lens idents. Probably for the best it wasn't!

With recent discussions about rebranding E4, here's an abandoned design of the channel done by The Designers Republic, featuring quite a lot of pluses:
[Image: E_E4_03-541x768.jpg][Image: E_E4_06-768x538.jpg]
[Image: E_E4_12-1816x1024.jpg][Image: E_E4_13-1816x1024.jpg]

In their own words:

Quote:The first phase concept Channel 4 encouraged us to develop from our initial ideas was based on the idea of 'entertainment +', which we expressed in terms of Orwellian Double Plus Good (nineteen E4).

It was conceived as a universal, visually and conceptually-recognisable device abstracted from and building into an ownable identity around a constructed E4 logo.
Should this become the main symbol, most of us would probably be moaning at incorporating the E into the 4 (and to be fair, the earlier concepts in doing so looks more suitable for American affiliates), and might perceived the upcoming relaunch more positively, but who knows? It's certainly a bold and weird design.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 4 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Kojak, orange, Roger Darthwell

This sentence made me chuckle:

The Designers Republic Wrote:The possibilities were endless - the client's imagination, less so.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, Josh, W. Knight

That makes my eyes go funny. I think it's quite oblique

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(10-11-2022, 05:48 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  With recent discussions about rebranding E4, here's an abandoned design of the channel done by The Designers Republic, featuring quite a lot of pluses:
[Image: E_E4_03-541x768.jpg][Image: E_E4_06-768x538.jpg]
[Image: E_E4_12-1816x1024.jpg][Image: E_E4_13-1816x1024.jpg]

In their own words:
Quote:The first phase concept Channel 4 encouraged us to develop from our initial ideas was based on the idea of 'entertainment +', which we expressed in terms of Orwellian Double Plus Good (nineteen E4).

It was conceived as a universal, visually and conceptually-recognisable device abstracted from and building into an ownable identity around a constructed E4 logo.
Should this become the main symbol, most of us would probably be moaning at incorporating the E into the 4 (and to be fair, the earlier concepts in doing so looks more suitable for American affiliates), and might perceived the upcoming relaunch more positively, but who knows? It's certainly a bold and weird design.

Looks like that cryptocurrency sponsor for Man City

(29-09-2022, 07:04 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I've done this before back on the Purple Place, and it was an interesting thread there. This thread celebrates idents that were never used on screen. They were made, either as finished products or in rough form, shown to executives or focus groups, and they were scrapped for multiple reasons. Think mocks, but for people who had the power to make those changes. 

Some of the more notable ones:

BBC One/BBC Two Test idents from 1989/1990
www.youtube.com 

Original versions of the ITV Heart Idents (A very well covered story from the world of pres, though the last one is just an unused endboard)
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 

Channel 4's (thankfully) unused redesign of the 4 Blocks
www.youtube.com 

Are there any more that you are aware of? Let us know!

Another one, originally found by another Purple user, who said that this was a design by the same people who made the Yorkshire and Tyne Tees regional idents for 1999. While this is not an ident, and more a draft for what would have been an ident, it shows us what a potential new look for Granada would look like, without the arrowed 'G'

[Image: Screenshot%202019-06-04%20at%2015_08_21.png]

That Granada ident looks so cold and impersonal to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • Si-Co

… and generic. The original pointed G symbol was so recognisable, to change it would have been daft. Even today, it’s a design classic and still looks good and could have been easily altered to have a variant that worked well on mobile.

GET FUNKY | BE FUNKY | STAY FUNKY | YO HUSSLE HUSSLE