Euronews

Not only Euronews has the new look, its English version has ditched the whole live presenter thing which they had on weekdays for the last several years (at one point they even had another reporter in the studio as well who tracked social media). So, basically, Euronews English went back to where it was at the start, with bulletins totally made of pre-recorded reports.
I'm not sure when exactly this presenter ditching happened, Youtube playback tells me that there was already no presenter this morning, while the visuals were not updated yet.

(04-12-2022, 03:37 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  So that's the end of the famous Euronews on-screen clock with only the minutes?
Well, now it is.

UPD. For the record, the visual switch happened at 11:00 GMT = 12:00 CET. For the last hour of the old look, the news ticker alongside the only-minutes clock just showed the invitation to visit their website and Youtube channel.
[-] The following 3 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, matthieu1221, Roger Darthwell

The daytime sequence still seems to be known as EuroNews Now, so have the programme names stayed?

I haven't paid too much attention to Euronews because the livestream was blocked in the US again for some time, and I'm not willing to set up a VPN just to watch Euronews of all things. But it looks like it's no longer blocked.

Euronews seems to have really gone through a whirlwind in the last few years, going from ramping up in-vision presenting, separating out the different languages into unique channels, to the quasi-NBC merger and de-merger, and now back to what seems like are the channel's simpler roots. One trademark of Euronews has always been clunky graphics and presentation, and this new look is no different. That Twitter bar on the side seems like a bad idea that won't last.

They really should go back to something like the looks of 2008-2014; those were the best.

As far as content goes, I used to like watching Euronews for its simplicity and for its Europe focus that no other channel really did to the same extent. Now, I'd say I turn to DW for that. DW has really turned into a really solid channel of pan-European news and documentaries; Euronews should take note.

Unfortunately for for me breaking news on EuroNews and DW news are achingly slow (Though DW is much better, because they have presenters). But they dont do rolling news like, Sky, BBC or CNN. I turned to DW for the flood coverage in Germany last year and it was ok, just was expecting more. They only had one reporter and they repeating the same package story over and over and the reporter seemed to be glued to the same spot. Very dry coverage which is typical for German news coverage....aside from BildTv (LOL). Typically you get a scroll/flipper with breaking news and maybe an odd update here or there. But IMO these channels arent usually very good a rolling breaking news. So I stopped relying on them for breaking news, especially now with the removal of live presenters, its likely to just get worse. Oh well.

Caught Euronews for the first time in quite a while today and what a mess - you’d think in any redesign, you’d create headline graphics you could actually see:

[Image: B0-B173-D2-EDDF-4-E0-F-BB9-C-4-B07-D2-ACD012.jpg]

The new weather graphics also look like something you’d see on an information screen in a provincial European train station:

[Image: F6-E79809-2764-40-FD-A576-C88-DF7-D4-A699.jpg]

God that is awful - a completely mismatch of graphic design styles and fonts. It manages to look too busy without actually having an abnormal number of components on screen. I mean, purely in shape and colour you've got right-angled/flat, right-angled/feathered edge and rounded-corner/transparent on screen at once. Pick a lane!

As you say, the headline text being just white is a rudimentary error - especially considering that drop shadows are used for the temperatures - so not out of style. Also don't feel that the headline font matches that main typeface - too disparate to blend together and not distinct enough to complement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • chaose

Their late 90s/2000s look is still better, more modern and fresh than anything they had after.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ginnyfan's post:
  • DE88

Looks like some more redesigned elements are popping up gradually – most notably, a new title card for the fan favorite, No Comment:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2023-02-14-at-1-42-55-AM.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2023-02-14-at-1-41-26-AM.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2023-02-14-at-1-42-12-AM.png]

I admittedly haven't watched much in years, but this channel feels as disjointed as ever. I don't know how they expect to attract any new viewers. If I didn't know what Euronews was, I'd be very confused.

The new graphics look more designed for a web browser than TV, but that makes the whole thing feel like one of those autoplay news video boxes that appear along with ads at the bottom of news websites rather than an actual news channel that real humans are putting together. The tweet bar shows the same 10-15 tweets, almost all of which are just from the AP or AFP, not really even any from Euronews or its correspondents.

The channel has gone back to its roots of showing mostly a jukebox of voiceover-only stories, which I think is fine. But then, seven minutes in, an anchor popped up in the big Lyon studio to do an explainer on Russia's military offensive.  There are also a handful of segments with the popular online video style with large text over b-roll as production music plays. The same stories also then ran in the same exact order barely ten minutes later. Nothing coheisve, and no presentation elements to entice you to keep watching.

EDIT: this all makes a lot more sense now. Sounds like Euronews staffers are on strike over stiff budget cuts imposed by its new private equity firm owner.

French article:
www.lemonde.fr 

English translation:
newsinfrance.com 

Wow! Interesting that they're even selling their premises and looking to downgrade in Lyon. I watch Euronews regularly via Apple TV and the app has been a complete mess for the last few weeks - constantly freezing when opening with audio but not pictures, etc. I hate to say it (as I like the global news with a European slant in a quick need-to-know format) but I think we could be witnessing the final few months of the channel as a legitimate broadcasting operation.
[-] The following 2 users Like Globaltraffic24's post:
  • bkman1990, Medianext.MX

Lyon practically being halved. Move out of the iconic (and imo very ugly) green cube at La Confluence will be happening in the last trimester of 2024. A few other details which can be found below (and via Google Translate)

france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr