The CW taken over by Nexstar

(08-05-2023, 06:41 PM)London Lite Wrote:  My guess is Nexstar will pay Tegna for the remainder of their CW franchise to allow KUSI to take it in-house.

However I'd be concerned if I work for KUSI News as it's very likely KWSB will take over news bulletin provision unless they do a WBBH/WZVN and share resources such as reporters, but keep individual anchors and branding.
KWGN/KDVR in Denver and WXIN AND WTTV in Indianapolis, though these arrangements started under the Tribune days so Nexstar might not follow that, do have some over lap. KWGN and KDVR have their own morning news casts at the same time , WTTV and WXIN as well as 5pm ,6pm and 11pm.

(09-05-2023, 02:47 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  What sort of shows do these independent stations air in primetime nowadays? There used to be a relatively strong syndication market which kept them going - Baywatch I think a noteable example of a show that mainly aired in syndication after being axed by NBC after one series. Star Trek too, but not sure of any breakout hits in the last voile of decades.
Some of the stations that are indies , I count My Network TV stations as indies, do extra sitcom runs or the news like WATL in Atlanta has news from 8-11pm, so does WCTX in Connecticut, there's the famous KCAL that does it too. WTTA does news in English and Spanish for the 2 hours. There's not much of a first run drama, sitcom market anymore. (Sitcoms and dramas made for syndication) Again they could also be angling for local sports rights that's why WGN dropped the CW then the sports later dropped them oops.

(08-05-2023, 06:41 PM)London Lite Wrote:  However I'd be concerned if I work for KUSI News as it's very likely KWSB will take over news bulletin provision unless they do a WBBH/WZVN and share resources such as reporters, but keep individual anchors and branding.
They'll be independent from each other... to some degree:
Quote:According to someone in communication with a KUSI staffer, who attended a meeting on the merger, the KUSI brand will be preserved with its own news team “though there will obviously be sharing of assets and some crossovers on air.”
[...]
“The half of the building which housed San Diego Home/Garden Lifestyles magazine that shut down years ago will be converted to the Fox5 studio and offices,” a former KUSI staffer told Times of San Diego. “The newscasts will continue head-to-head, but that’s not to say that some tweaks to the schedule won’t happen.”
From timesofsandiego.com 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • London Lite

So the main points appear to be:

KUSI keeps their brand.
Some redundancies of KUSI employees.
KUSI News stays as a separate operation with Nexstar replacing their current set.
KSWB Fox 5 moves into the KUSI building using space not used currently with a new studio.

So it looks like KUSI will enjoy some autonomy which the likes of WPIX and KTLA have as part of the CW Network under Nexstar.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Medianext.MX, W. Knight

(12-05-2023, 11:11 PM)London Lite Wrote:  So the main points appear to be:

KUSI keeps their brand.
Some redundancies of KUSI employees.
KUSI News stays as a separate operation with Nexstar replacing their current set.
KSWB Fox 5 moves into the KUSI building using space not used currently with a new studio.

So it looks like KUSI will enjoy some autonomy which the likes of WPIX and KTLA have as part of the CW Network under Nexstar.
(12-05-2023, 07:37 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  
(08-05-2023, 06:41 PM)London Lite Wrote:  However I'd be concerned if I work for KUSI News as it's very likely KWSB will take over news bulletin provision unless they do a WBBH/WZVN and share resources such as reporters, but keep individual anchors and branding.
They'll be independent from each other... to some degree:
Quote:According to someone in communication with a KUSI staffer, who attended a meeting on the merger, the KUSI brand will be preserved with its own news team “though there will obviously be sharing of assets and some crossovers on air.”
[...]
“The half of the building which housed San Diego Home/Garden Lifestyles magazine that shut down years ago will be converted to the Fox5 studio and offices,” a former KUSI staffer told Times of San Diego. “The newscasts will continue head-to-head, but that’s not to say that some tweaks to the schedule won’t happen.”
From timesofsandiego.com 

That's good news. Another thing is KUSI is currently a die-hard right-wing, pro-Trump news organisation. Hoping Nexstar will change the political agenda of the operation to be more fact-based, like Fox 5, whilst still very much focusing on political stories and older-skewed content (Fox 5 tends to take a similar approach to KTLA, with an authentic SoCal vibe, lots of lifestyle stories and entertainment coverage, and breaking news).

www.sandiegouniontribune.com 

timesofsandiego.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • W. Knight

Those KUSI lower thirds really do have the Newsmax/OANN vibe about them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Medianext.MX

(10-05-2023, 08:34 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  
(03-11-2022, 06:23 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  An update a month after the sale:

[*]Shows on the chopping block: DC's Stargirl and Nancy Drew are on their last seasons; The Winchesters and Walker: Independence expected to go next. (Deadline)
The Walker prequel is, indeed, going:
Quote:“Walker: Independence” has been canceled at The CW after just one season, Variety has learned.

The series served as a prequel to fellow CW show “Walker,” which was just renewed for Season 4 at the network.
From variety.com 

The Winchesters has also been cancelled, as well as Kung Fu. The Supernatural prequel is being shopped by WBTV to other networks, prompting EP Jensen Ackles to launch a fan campaign:

deadline.com 

deadline.com 

deadline.com 

And the shopping spree continues... Nexstar has bought Bell Media original series The Spencer Sisters (Entertainment One) and Sullivan's Crossing (Fremantle Canada), CBC comedies Son Of A Critch (from Lionsgate and Schitt's Creek EP Andrew Barnsley, who has a close relationship with Brad Schwartz), Run the Burbs (Pier 21 Films) and Moonshine (from eOne and Lucifer creator Sheri Elwood), and the AMC Original 61st Street; the first season will re-air on the network this fall and a new season (still co-produced by AMC and BBC Studios America) will debut next year. The channel has also scheduled the return of Global drama Family Law and Stan Original comedy Bump. These new and returning series will debut during the coming months.

deadline.com 

deadline.com 

deadline.com 

deadline.com 

Back to the KUSI acquisition, I found this interesting: this KPBS one-on-one piece with Miro Copic, a marketing professor at San Diego State University, on the implications the Nexstar acquisition might have for its competitors and the local and binational media landscape (remember that San Diego is a border city with Tijuana, Mexico):

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • W. Knight

I have analyzed the US TV markets of the 9 CBS owned CW affiliates that are going independent this September and I noticed something quite cunning. In Atlanta (WUPA), Tampa (WTOG) and Tacoma-Seattle (KSTW), CBS News and Stations are the owners of the soon to be independent CW affiliates, but they do not own the local CBS affiliate for the respective markets. They are instead owned by:
WANF Gray Television in Atlanta
WTSP Tegna Inc. in Tampa
KIRO-TV Cox Media Group in Tacoma-Seattle
This makes me wonder.......do you think that it's a concrete possibility that once the CBS affiliation agreements with WANF, WTSP and KIRO-TV are going to expire, instead of renewing them, CBS will instead transfer the affiliation to their (soon to be) independent stations WUPA, WTOG and KSTW respectively? Just an intriguing thought that I had

(14-05-2023, 09:24 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  I have analyzed the US TV markets of the 9 CBS owned CW affiliates that are going independent this September and I noticed something quite cunning. In Atlanta (WUPA), Tampa (WTOG) and Tacoma-Seattle (KSTW), CBS News and Stations are the owners of the soon to be independent CW affiliates, but they do not own the local CBS affiliate for the respective markets. This makes me wonder.......do you think that it's a concrete possibility that once the CBS affiliation agreements with WANF, WTSP and KIRO-TV are going to expire, instead of renewing them, CBS will instead transfer the affiliation to their (soon to be) independent stations WUPA, WTOG and KSTW respectively? Just an intriguing thought that I had

Don't think so. WUPA, WTOG and KSTW are still strong CW affiliates, and their status quo won't change when they go indie. And the CBS stations you mentioned are a mixed bag in the ratings. WANF has started to improve under Gray and is now beating WXIA at some time slots; but, honestly, none of them can beat WSB or WAGA. WTSP, even with the too naughty "social news" format, is still somehow competitive with WFLA, WTVT, WFTS and Spectrum Bay News 13, and it is stronger in the demo. And KIRO is first or second in many news time slots, but Seattle is a very competitive market where the stations have "musical chairs" and often #1 status changes from time to time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Medianext.MX's post:
  • London Lite, Roger Darthwell

Yes, Tampa is one of those markets where 10 Tampa Bay WTSP with it's dumbed down output still goes down well regardless. Not keen on the set though.

I think the only O&O in Tampa is the Fox station WTVT? (Fox tend to have O&Os in smaller markets when the others are your typical Nexstar, Sinclair, Gray marketplace)
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Re WUPA: There have been quite some speculation of CBS moving there on TVNewsTalk, after Gray's relaunch of WANF removed the CBS Eye from the station identity, but I doubt if they're to move again, after sort of getting a foothold with WANF.

(05-05-2023, 11:08 PM)sky303 Wrote:  Detroit 
WKBD-  CBS owned CW that's dropping the CW  
Nexstar owns no station there, the options there are WMYD-TV (maybe) Scripps dropped My Network TV a couple years ago, now maybe the CW still might be more valuable than My Network TV, also Scripps might want to use WMYD-TV for sports since there is a Bally Sports station there and well you know. 
The other option is work with WADL-TV a locally owned station that airs My Network TV and maybe they'd see the CW as an upgrade. There are of course sub channel options working with WDIV, maybe not WJBK (FOX Owned).
As part of the discussion: WADL is to be sold to Mission Broadcasting.
www.prnewswire.com 

What does it have to do with Nexstar? Well, looking at the paperwork they submitted to the FCC (enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov ), there's a Sale of Commercial Time, Station Services and Option Agreement to Nexstar. That means:

[*]Nexstar will be responsible for advertising on WADL, but Mission still has control on their programming, editorial and the Mission-controlled facilities;
[*]Nexstar will provide services to WADL in graphic design, production, continuity, master control, transmission facilities, assistance in buying programmes upon request and negotiating retransmission consent;
[*]Nexstar is also able to acquire the station license and other properties.

Possibly paving the way to move The CW over there?

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Roger Darthwell