25 years of the Martin Lambie Nairn BBC Logo

Where has the time gone? 25 years ago today, The BBC had the biggest rebrand in it's history when the new Martin Lambie Narin logo come into operation.  Which resulted in a new BBC Logo, new idents for BBC 1 and CBBC, etc  All BBC radio stations using the same design etc etc  which resulted in everything being streamlined. 

The blue place enjoyed 20 years of service tvforum.uk 

To this day, nothing has yet to beat or even emulate this rebrand.
[-] The following 7 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • BBCMeridian, DE88, HJB, JamieD, Ma76, Noah, Roger Darthwell

And nothing will ever beat this wonderful package between 1997 and 2001, this was the time when the BBC was at it's peak.
www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like BBCMeridian's post:
  • JamieD, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

Thank you for linking to my thread from the 20th anniversary.

Still think this is my absolute favourite TV branding of all time. I still sit and make mocks on my computer using the design language of it.

Ditched far too soon for the awful boxes that the BBC still persists with in some cases to this day.

Perfect embodiment of how to have a beautiful corporate identity that still allows each part to show its own personality.

RIP Martin.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 6 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Alan de Robson, DE88, JamieD, Jonny, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(04-10-2022, 12:37 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Thank you for linking to my thread from the 20th anniversary.

Still think this is my absolute favourite TV branding of all time. I still sit and make mocks on my computer using the design language of it.

Ditched far too soon for the awful boxes that the BBC still persists with in some cases to this day.

Perfect embodiment of how to have a beautiful corporate identity that still allows each part to show its own personality.

RIP Martin.

I've just read through it, and that could pass for an article on any good media website. In the time since you wrote it though, and I see even then you were speculating about the ascent of Reith, how do you feel about the retirement of the '97 logo, Gill Sans, and the old 'Single unified look' of BBC? Do you like the new look (for me, its the first rebrand of the BBC I've ever seen, as I was just a baby then)

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(04-10-2022, 09:39 AM)BBCMeridian Wrote:  And nothing will ever beat this wonderful package between 1997 and 2001, this was the time when the BBC was at it's peak.
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 

This is really the absolute zenith of BBC Pres!

(04-10-2022, 09:39 AM)BBCMeridian Wrote:  And nothing will ever beat this wonderful package between 1997 and 2001, this was the time when the BBC was at it's peak.
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 

Couldn't agree more!

And long live the MLN logo, nestling itself often within the same frame as the new logo, stubbornly refusing to leave.
[-] The following 3 users Like JamieD's post:
  • DE88, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(04-10-2022, 07:43 PM)JamieD Wrote:  
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 

Couldn't agree more!

And long live the MLN logo, nestling itself often within the same frame as the new logo, stubbornly refusing to leave.
And let's hope it never leaves (apologies to all offended)

Here are recordings of the last BBC One and BBC Two closedowns with the slanted 1988 BBC logo and the first two startups with the 97 BBC Blocks
www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

You might be entertained to know that when originally presented to the BBC Presentation department, CBBC had been forgotten and had to be designed post-haste!
[-] The following 2 users Like Gazlet's post:
  • Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(05-10-2022, 03:18 PM)Gazlet Wrote:  You might be entertained to know that when originally presented to the BBC Presentation department, CBBC had been forgotten and had to be designed post-haste!

Thank goodness they went for the Yellow and Black animations, they were the best idents that CBBC has had.
[-] The following 2 users Like BBCMeridian's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, watchingtv

(05-10-2022, 04:20 PM)BBCMeridian Wrote:  
(05-10-2022, 03:18 PM)Gazlet Wrote:  You might be entertained to know that when originally presented to the BBC Presentation department, CBBC had been forgotten and had to be designed post-haste!

Thank goodness they went for the Yellow and Black animations, they were the best idents that CBBC has had.
It’s interesting as many people internally felt that the style (with its references to traditional cartoons etc like Tom and Jerry) failed to match the more contemporary style of programmes the Children’s department was making by then!