2022 FIFA World Cup

(11-12-2022, 02:54 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  I wonder if the BBC picked that fixture before they even knew who Morocco's opponents would be? After all, that's the fixture that might have involved England had a certain someone not missed a penalty (it's ALWAYS penalties with England, they never learn).

Quite possibly.
ITV posted this on Saturday morning before either of the day's two matches took place. Either a mistake (i.e. it was not 100% certain) or the BBC gambled very early on England v. anyone or Portugal v. France.

twitter.com 

Remember the 2026 World Cup will have matches in the middle of the night. If it’s an BBC/ITV combined effort as normal that will have an effect on the scheduling. While they will probably do the schedule to put the big European teams in European evening slots for the group stages the knockouts will likely be after primetime. I think the final in 2026 will be 4pm EST so 9PM Uk time.

Well yes, this is pretty much how the World Cup works. Given it’s international nature.

(11-12-2022, 11:46 AM)Jon Wrote:  Well yes, this is pretty much how the World Cup works. Given it’s international nature.

The 1994 World Cup had few evening USA time matches. The latest finish was 2.30 am. There is talk of 3am UK time kick offs.

You had a few 2am kick offs in 2014. But I’m not sure what point your trying to make.

(11-12-2022, 11:58 AM)Jon Wrote:  You had a few 2am kick offs in 2014. But I’m not sure what point your trying to make.

There was only 1. 

It has an impact on what matches the two broadcasters will choose. All the knockouts in Brazil ended by Midnight but that won’t be the case in 2026. So ITV will want lots of prime time matches because middle of the night matches will rate badly - worse than daytime matches do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Rijowhi

(11-12-2022, 12:05 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(11-12-2022, 11:58 AM)Jon Wrote:  You had a few 2am kick offs in 2014. But I’m not sure what point your trying to make.

There was only 1. 

It has an impact on what matches the two broadcasters will choose. All the knockouts in Brazil ended by Midnight but that won’t be the case in 2026. So ITV will want lots of prime time matches because middle of the night matches will rate badly - worse than daytime matches do.
Well there’s a pick system in place, so assuming the deal with BBC and ITV with FIFA works the same way it always has done you’ll probably see roughly the same mixture of kick off times on both broadcasters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Rijowhi

No shock but a very big audience

twitter.com 

(11-12-2022, 12:21 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(11-12-2022, 12:03 AM)Andrew Wrote:  They could show it, but it’d have to be shown on free to air broadcast television as well

Eurosport has had various World Cup and/or euros rights in the past, but it still had to be shown on BBC/ITV

But what happens if FIFA say we don’t agree we have sold all the rights to a streamer. It feels like a loophole in the current rules. Is there a way for Ofcom to block the streamer from being able do that as they don’t cover them in the same way. I can’t see one. It feels to me the rules need updating to stop this risk.

It would mean FIFA would be in breach of the law and it would go to international court (and considering UEFA lost a challenge to this with Euro 2008, would likely go in Ofcom's favour)

(11-12-2022, 08:59 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  
(11-12-2022, 12:21 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  But what happens if FIFA say we don’t agree we have sold all the rights to a streamer. It feels like a loophole in the current rules. Is there a way for Ofcom to block the streamer from being able do that as they don’t cover them in the same way. I can’t see one. It feels to me the rules need updating to stop this risk.

It would mean FIFA would be in breach of the law and it would go to international court (and considering UEFA lost a challenge to this with Euro 2008, would likely go in Ofcom's favour)

Don’t think international courts will care about broadcasting rights.