STV Presentation

No continuity announcement whatsoever going into the News at Ten

(17-10-2023, 08:57 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  There was no ECP at the end of corrie, It's unclear if they switched to Aberdeen or if IITV will take full control.

Aberdeen doesn't have the capability to playout their channels. They only have playout at Pacific Quay.

In a disaster recovery situation they put ITV1 to air in Scotland, which only happens if STV instruct that to happen (ITV have no authority over STV's output). This clearly hasn't happened by the fact that STV is still on air.

STV have the full capability to operate their playout remotely, which is (or was) used regularly because they do permit home working for their operators. So I would guess that's how it's currently being operated.

(17-10-2023, 09:16 PM)GMc Wrote:  Hope everyone is safe.
Isn't it the case that presentation at STV is largely automated, therefore idents, breakbumpers, etc would already be planned for? Forgive my ignorance if that's not the case at all.

While STV's playout is run by a playout automation system, which can run unattended using today's loaded playlist, it's unlikely STV will run it that way.

This will be for no other reason than the fact they have to stay in time with ITV Presentation, and there's no guarantee that ITV Pres won't shift the times. This will especially be the case this evening, as there's major news unfolding in the middle east, and it's not uncommon for ITV News to ask for extra time.

Also as a side note STV don't usually refer to it as Presentation. They call it Transmission Control (like many other broadcasters).
[-] The following 3 users Like Orry Verducci's post:
  • GMc, lookoutwales, Stooky Bill

(17-10-2023, 09:41 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  I dare say Central belt Late news will come from Aberdeen then.

Can Edinburgh not do it? forgive me I'm not educated on STV that much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hemsright's post:
  • Superman1986

Yep, these days playout systems are just computers that do everything in one box. Operationally it doesn't matter if the TC is operating it from the TX suite or elsewhere, the main difference is the monitoring - you won't have a large monitor 'stack' elsewhere, nor extra functionality in the suite like emergency cut controls.

(17-10-2023, 10:18 PM)Hemsright Wrote:  Can Edinburgh not do it? forgive me I'm not educated on STV that much.

From memory, Edinburgh goes through the Glasgow gallery.  So with Pacific Quay being evacuated it will probably put Edinburgh out of the equation as well.

Aberdeen it is for the late bulletin with Andrea Brymer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary McEwan's post:
  • Superman1986

What about Aberdeen or Dundee?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JACKLUFC1998's post:
  • Superman1986

STV is now showing Barbara Knox at 90

theres an itv1 dog on stv, is that normal for this time?

(17-10-2023, 10:46 PM)Hemsright Wrote:  theres an itv1 dog on stv, is that normal for this time?

No, STV usually uses an STV DOG so there must be some behind the scenes changes to the playout in place.

Interestingly there was a weather forecast for all of Scotland prepared for the late news bulletin (that came from Aberdeen) so it must've been recorded some time earlier in Glasgow.

Edit: A commercial break with ITV1 promos now. Appears they have switched to rebroadcasting ITV1 for now. The junction into the Corrie programme was a normal STV branded one with a recorded ident (that warned of offensive content - possibly all they had to hand).
[-] The following 2 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • Hemsright, Superman1986

(17-10-2023, 10:50 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  The junction into the Corrie programme was a normal STV branded one with a recorded ident (that warned of offensive content - possibly all they had to hand).
ITV1 warned of "historic domestic abuse storylines" so that STV warning may well have been the planned introduction. 

www.tvhome.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nobby's post:
  • scottishtv