BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present

It's something that a 91-97 style sting would've been quite useful for, come to think of it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • AndrewP, fanoftv, Roger Darthwell

I'm glad that they're finally trying to signpost UHD properly. I know in theory you have the red button prompt delivered via HbbTV, but that's not much use if you primarily use a set top box that doesn't support UHD... I've been relying on 'knowing' when I need to look on iPlayer for a UHD version.

It reminds me of the old "on BBC One and BBC HD" days!
[-] The following 4 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Kunst, Stuart

Indeed, and they did used to promote HD heavily in the early days of BBC One HD too with phrases like “Now on BBC One, and in High Definition on BBC One HD”.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Stuart

(29-10-2023, 08:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A blip would have worked well.   At least they didn't play the Strictly credits over the Survivor opening though - that's the sort of thing the US networks were occassionally doing a few years back. 

P.S.  That Ultra HD prompt looks so cheap considering what it's supposed to be advertising.

It doesn’t feel right just cutting straight to the next program. As others have said at least a blip. Way back in the dancers era didn’t they used to have a “the ONE for drama” sting they used to play. Even something like that would have been good. It just felt like they’d forgotten to play the ident. Could this be the way they go as they seem to want to push everyone onto iplayer. 

I have to agree, UHD prompt was awful.  I know you need the tv for it to work but a bit of effort. I do really dislike the trails at the moment. I loved the old end board on bbc one with the swirl. It going through to black and that awful iplayer logo. It just all looks so cheap

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

(29-10-2023, 08:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  P.S.  That Ultra HD prompt looks so cheap considering what it's supposed to be advertising.
It would be nice if the 'Watch on iPlayer' graphic could be overlaid onto the BBC One ident, perhaps within the circle.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

I have a Toshiba Smart 4K TV but it's not a model supported by iPlayer, so I can't see UHD programmes listed through the internal app on the TV.

However, I also have a 4K Fire Stick, so if I access iPlayer through that, will I be able to watch 'Planet Earth III' in all its glory?

(29-10-2023, 08:14 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  It feels disturbingly American to see them cut straight to the next programme. It's really jarring when you see it in the US and you're not used to how it's done.

Funny enough, the trend on broadcast US TV (NBC, CBS, The CW) over the past 5 years is to include a short ID, between programmes. They realised that they needed to reinforce the channel brand on their shows, due to streaming habits and what viewers associate the programme with (i.e. I'm watching Netflix, despite being a CBS show)

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

I feel like in BBC One's case, Media Planning figured that they needed to give all they got behind Survivor. And taking out the junction would seamlessly keep the viewers into Survivor. 

I don't think it'll become a regular thing, as we still need some form of continuity for warnings/info. But sometimes you've got to throw the kitchen sink of tricks to keep viewers. Essentially the job is to get viewers to episode 1.

(29-10-2023, 10:39 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I have a Toshiba Smart 4K TV but it's not a model supported by iPlayer, so I can't see UHD programmes listed through the internal app on the TV.

However, I also have a 4K Fire Stick, so if I access iPlayer through that, will I be able to watch 'Planet Earth III' in all its glory?

If the Fire Stick supports UHD iPlayer, and the TV does HLG, yes. Probably a case of try it and see.

There used to be a list of supported UHD devices on the BBC website, but I think it has been removed?
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • Stuart

(29-10-2023, 09:57 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Indeed, and they did used to promote HD heavily in the early days of BBC One HD too with phrases like “Now on BBC One, and in High Definition on BBC One HD”.
Probably also because, back then, BBC One HD was "its own channel", with being a region-less version of BBC One England and obviously not matching with the Nations' schedules
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • interestednovice

(30-10-2023, 12:38 AM)Kunst Wrote:  Probably also because, back then, BBC One HD was "its own channel", with being a region-less version of BBC One England and obviously not matching with the Nations' schedules
Partly, yes, but the nations versions came out in fairly short order. English regions, on the other hand, took over 10 years!
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Kunst