BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present

Not worthy of its own thread… but I think many members on here could be interested in the latest series of Two Doors Down. It’s just made the switch from BBC Two to BBC One.

Across the series there are a lot of mentions of old ITV regions and programmes, notably Granada, LWT and Thames.

Well that was a shockingly poor promo for BBC 1 in 2024. Are they not every trying anymore?

(01-01-2024, 01:47 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  Well that was a shockingly poor promo for BBC 1 in 2024. Are they not every trying anymore?

It's already been airing for a few days now.

Without wanting to be a misery at the start of a New Year (and Happy New Year to all on this forum), I do increasingly feel like BBC One is quite unloved at the BBC, if the channel’s presentation - or rather, lack of it - is anything to go by. I posted the other day about the recent festive and New Year promotional trailers about programmes airing on BBC One making minimal / no reference to BBC One, and driving viewers to BBC iPlayer - and, of course, they’re all iPlayer branded as well. As for idents, well, the Christmas ones were decent, and I did like the Tabby McTat themed ones, but it all strikes me as rather half-hearted: it’s like a default mentality of “What’s this year’s Julia Donaldson animation? Let’s get their team to create a few seconds for an ident” and job done - don’t get me wrong, I enjoy things like Tabby McTat and The Gruffalo, but it just strikes me as a bit lazy on the BBC One’s part. It’s not like Channel 4’s Mog-themed Christmas idents, which actually worked creatively around the 4 logo. With the BBC One idents, as others have already pointed out, there’s no effort to make the Tabby McTat / Gruffalo animation work around the lens idents.

And on the subject of the lens idents, would it really cost the BBC a lot / take a lot to get out there and film two or three more just to mix things up a bit and give the lens theme a bit of a refresh for the New Year? They are nice idents, don’t get me wrong, but when they returned at 12:40am last night after Rick Astley, it all felt a bit deflating to see “same old, same old” - not great at the start of a New Year.
[-] The following 3 users Like Reith85's post:
  • Former Member 24, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell

(01-01-2024, 09:29 AM)Reith85 Wrote:  Without wanting to be a misery at the start of a New Year (and Happy New Year to all on this forum), I do increasingly feel like BBC One is quite unloved at the BBC, if the channel’s presentation - or rather, lack of it - is anything to go by. I posted the other day about the recent festive and New Year promotional trailers about programmes airing on BBC One making minimal / no reference to BBC One, and driving viewers to BBC iPlayer - and, of course, they’re all iPlayer branded as well. As for idents, well, the Christmas ones were decent, and I did like the Tabby McTat themed ones, but it all strikes me as rather half-hearted: it’s like a default mentality of “What’s this year’s Julia Donaldson animation? Let’s get their team to create a few seconds for an ident” and job done - don’t get me wrong, I enjoy things like Tabby McTat and The Gruffalo, but it just strikes me as a bit lazy on the BBC One’s part. It’s not like Channel 4’s Mog-themed Christmas idents, which actually worked creatively around the 4 logo. With the BBC One idents, as others have already pointed out, there’s no effort to make the Tabby McTat / Gruffalo animation work around the lens idents.

And on the subject of the lens idents, would it really cost the BBC a lot / take a lot to get out there and film two or three more just to mix things up a bit and give the lens theme a bit of a refresh for the New Year? They are nice idents, don’t get me wrong, but when they returned at 12:40am last night after Rick Astley, it all felt a bit deflating to see “same old, same old” - not great at the start of a New Year.

I couldn’t agree with you more. Id go as far as saying even BBC two and BBC four’s presentation lack that high quality feel they’ve hadn’t previous. When compared to bbc Nordic’s ident package, bbc one looks dull, drab and low quality.

Whilst the lens idea is clever, I feel the concept could have been used more effectively for bbc two or bbc four. When you think back to the circles, dancers and balloons, they were unique. They were bright, attention grabbing and instantly recognisable as bbc one because they all shared similar music and styles/colours. The lens just doesnt have that wow factor.

It’s not just bbc one, bbc two and bbc four are feel much of the same. In the past they felt much more distinctive.

The whole only saying everything is really annoying me but it’s typical bbc. It’s like their constant drama chasing a younger demographic but forgetting about the loyal viewers. IMO linear tv is not going to disappear and I think broadcaster will regret going down a streaming only model. I know there is this obsession to be like Netflix and Amazon but you’ll loose those moments when it felt like the whole country was tuning in or talking. Also people will become trapped watching similar content whereas there’s been many a time I’ve seen watched a programme then watched the following one because it caught my attention.

Also that iplayer logo is hideous. They wanted to look modern and up to date…failed in on that score!

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 6 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, Spencer

(01-01-2024, 09:29 AM)Reith85 Wrote:  Without wanting to be a misery at the start of a New Year (and Happy New Year to all on this forum), I do increasingly feel like BBC One is quite unloved at the BBC, if the channel’s presentation - or rather, lack of it - is anything to go by. I posted the other day about the recent festive and New Year promotional trailers about programmes airing on BBC One making minimal / no reference to BBC One, and driving viewers to BBC iPlayer - and, of course, they’re all iPlayer branded as well. As for idents, well, the Christmas ones were decent, and I did like the Tabby McTat themed ones, but it all strikes me as rather half-hearted: it’s like a default mentality of “What’s this year’s Julia Donaldson animation? Let’s get their team to create a few seconds for an ident” and job done - don’t get me wrong, I enjoy things like Tabby McTat and The Gruffalo, but it just strikes me as a bit lazy on the BBC One’s part. It’s not like Channel 4’s Mog-themed Christmas idents, which actually worked creatively around the 4 logo. With the BBC One idents, as others have already pointed out, there’s no effort to make the Tabby McTat / Gruffalo animation work around the lens idents.

Your thoughts are echoed by mine. I am watching BBC1 less these days - and deliberately avoiding iPlayer because I don't like being force fed thimgs - because I get the impression that BBC1 doesnt want me to watch it. I know iPlayer exists, as do pretty much everyone now, I'll use it when I miss things I wanted to watch since PVR boxes are less relied on. I don't want to be told what's on iPlayer when I'm tuning in to watch something live.
[-] The following 2 users Like SteveRW's post:
  • Nige, Roger Darthwell

The whole thing about iPlayer being promoted anywhere looks quite forced.

Can't they just add a small icon or something like that, without mentioning iPlayer all the time?
Gosh, it's obsession: and I agree this Digital first corporate talk is getting quite boring too

As for the BBC1 presentation, I think it looks fine and that the Nordic one which everyone loves are good, but maybe not proper for the main UK channel.
BUT, they need to invest slightly more to that, like adding some more idents to the mix
[-] The following 3 users Like Kunst's post:
  • ivlm001, Nige, Roger Darthwell

(09-01-2024, 12:56 PM)Kunst Wrote:  As for the BBC1 presentation, I think it looks fine and that the Nordic one which everyone loves are good, but maybe not proper for the main UK channel.

BUT, they need to invest slightly more to that, like adding some more idents to the mix
I agree that BBC Nordic certainly have an excellent set of idents. It shows what BBC Creative/weareseventeen can come up with when they really put their minds to it.

The current BBC One idents are OK. but it's time to expand the range now while sticking with the lens concept.

After the torture of 'oneness' for 5 years, I'd be tempted to let sleeping dogs lie for now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • ivlm001, Kunst

(09-01-2024, 12:21 PM)SteveRW Wrote:  Your thoughts are echoed by mine. I am watching BBC1 less these days - and deliberately avoiding iPlayer because I don't like being force fed thimgs - because I get the impression that BBC1 doesnt want me to watch it. I know iPlayer exists, as do pretty much everyone now, I'll use it when I miss things I wanted to watch since PVR boxes are less relied on. I don't want to be told what's on iPlayer when I'm tuning in to watch something live.

What an odd way to think. Just watch what you want to watch?
[-] The following 8 users Like all new phil's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, dbl, ethanjbrady, eyeTV, fusionlad, GMc, nwtv2003, Reith85

(09-01-2024, 07:24 PM)all new phil Wrote:  What an odd way to think. Just watch what you want to watch?

It's no different to avoiding people shaking charity collection boxes in your face and instead choosing to give a charity that doesn't. Over egging something often is counter productive. So, I do choose to watch what I want. Mainly Netflix and Britbox these days.