Thread Closed

BBC Breakfast

I’m impressed with the new studio, seems like a well designed and modern space. I have to say I like the direction the BBC is going in terms of sets, the idea seems to be; less is more. That understated, simple and consistent look across programs and studios is what helped make the BBC what it is, viewers will get used to the familiar presentation across shows, it’s only a matter of time until other main sets (ex: studio c) are redone in a similar design. 

As for the new Breakfast branding one thing stuck out to me right away, it seems they are trying to make Breakfast it’s own brand, which fits Deborah Turness well, of course during her time at NBC News she over saw Today, which is the most profitable show in all of television (more than half a billion dollars in revenue every year), that’s not by mistake, the advertisers love the fact Today acts as its own brand. Turning Breakfast into its own brand could help them achieve better brand recognition, increased advertiser spending, more public engagement and make the future of the program more certain as viewing habits change.

I think it’s a great idea to turn the most watched 
morning show in the UK into a sub brand of BBC News, and I hope that’s what they have planned.

(24-06-2023, 09:48 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  Either that or they'll have the weather presenter in the studio for a week and make a big fuss of it then it'll all go back to normal with the weather presenter back in London without so much as a word.

I think this is exactly what will happen
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Jayesyn, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(25-06-2023, 07:18 AM)Andrew Wrote:  I think this is exactly what will happen

I doubt it. Given the song and dance being made about this. I think that they will have thought this out well in advance. Plus if Kirkwood and Taylor can't keep it up. Surely they could corral a certain Simon King - who I think is based there - to pull double duty in addition to his work for 5 Live Breakfast as main forecaster and North West Tonight as relief forecaster.

(25-06-2023, 07:26 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  I doubt it. Given the song and dance being made about this. I think that they will have thought this out well in advance. Plus if Kirkwood and Taylor can't keep it up. Surely they could corral a certain Simon King - who I think is based there - to pull double duty in addition to his work for 5 Live Breakfast as main forecaster and North West Tonight as relief forecaster.

I think Simon King now covers the Radio 4 Today programme forecasts as well. Adding TV might just be a step too far.

(25-06-2023, 07:26 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  I doubt it. Given the song and dance being made about this. I think that they will have thought this out well in advance. Plus if Kirkwood and Taylor can't keep it up. Surely they could corral a certain Simon King - who I think is based there - to pull double duty in addition to his work for 5 Live Breakfast as main forecaster and North West Tonight as relief forecaster.

On the other hand, Carol Kirkwood and Matt Taylor are both London-based, and as far as we know, they're not moving up north - and I've not read anything about Carol Kirkwood leaving Breakfast, which would be a story in itself, given how long she's been associated with the programme.

(25-06-2023, 07:50 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  I think Simon King now covers the Radio 4 Today programme forecasts as well. Adding TV might just be a step too far.

Shows how much I've been out of the loop.

(25-06-2023, 07:55 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Shows how much I've been out of the loop.

Looking back it seems to have changed at the start of May. The news channel changes mean fewer forecasts so it is more efficient to combine the Radio 4 and 5 Live forecasts all week. It already happened at weekends but I think relies on pre-recording the TV TOTH part.

(24-06-2023, 09:48 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  Either that or they'll have the weather presenter in the studio for a week and make a big fuss of it then it'll all go back to normal with the weather presenter back in London without so much as a word.

(25-06-2023, 07:50 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  I think Simon King now covers the Radio 4 Today programme forecasts as well. Adding TV might just be a step too far.
Sorry to derail the thread further. I'm sure Carol did BBC Radio 2 forecasts very close to the timing of BBC Breakfast ones????

Presumably Carol will be at Wimbledon in a weeks time anyway, so they may use the studio week 1, Wimbledon week 2/3 and then continue as normal with them down the line.

Practically it's probably more convenient for the weather not to be done in the studio - gives the studio team a couple of minutes to prep for the next item.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, Quantum+83, Rxtx, UTVLifer

No mention of the new look at all
Thread Closed