Deal Or No Deal

(15-12-2023, 09:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It wouldn't have been commissioned at the payout rate that C4 had - and £6k on average is still above what Tipping Point, Lingo and Tenable pay out and might even be above The Chase average too.

It's not so much the lower jackpot that kills the game but the lower reds - having only 5 boxes of £10k and over compared to 8 previously. If they had just swapped out the £250k with £2000 then it might have played out better with more double figure boxes in play, though it raises the average value of the boxes by about £1500.

I do think you're right here. I don't think ITV would commission Deal with a payout rate similar to the original run any time soon, but I could see the odd episode here and there being the higher payout, maybe not next series [if another one is made] but in future series when the economic situation is better for all sides.

I did feel the really low reds harmed the offers long-term and discouraged players from trying to risk anything. The bankers' first offer was hardly ever over £2000, which was never the case in the original, where an all-blue round (or a blue round with one really low red) would always be £7k or higher (unless the Banker wanted to play games with stupidly low offers for the sake of it). That could be due to the lower "jackpot" though, but I think the money tree could use a bit of a boost on the money side, maybe removing £2k and £4k and replacing it with £15k and £20k, with the £25k restored to £35k.

The only substantial prize money offers have been the players' Power Five, and while some of the low reds were respectable amounts considering the economics currently, the sheer amount of low payout values on the board dragged down all the offers until the end game when the Banker was just throwing out silly amounts of money. In the Noel era, even £10k was a respectable sum of money, despite being the fourth-lowest red.

I can’t see them messing with the formula and making potential payouts higher, as it’s been shown to work how it is.

I would also be surprised if the Celebrity episode has a higher jackpot, because it just emphasises the fact the prize used to be much higher on the regular version. That said other ITV shows have higher jackpots and presumably higher budgets for celebrity versions so we’ll see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

Yes, the only change I think they might have is a guarantee of £1000 for the charity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

How did the Noel era celebrity specials handle it? Olly Murs only won 50p (having previously won £10 as a civilian) and Gok Wan 10p, did the charity only get those pennies?

(15-12-2023, 11:54 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  How did the Noel era celebrity specials handle it? Olly Murs only won 50p (having previously won £10 as a civilian) and Gok Wan 10p, did the charity only get those pennies?
I think so. But they’d plug the charities and tell people to visit the Channel 4 website. So a bit like Brad from this series, I’m sure they received public donations.

The second celeb special airs Sunday 7th January at 7pm. The celebrity is Simon Gregson.
[-] The following 5 users Like Score's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, SuperSajuuk, Toby brown

The prize was kept at £100,000. Actually a more enjoyable episode than I thought it would be with Michael Owen - clearly a fan of the show and he had a pretty good idea where the offers should be.
  • SuperSajuuk

A repeat run begins next week at 7pm on ITV2.
  • SuperSajuuk

I'm seeing this pulgged by NBC on the NFL coverage. A whole new version of Deal or No Deal they are about to air: Deal or No Deal Island. It has been described as 'Deal or No Deal meet Survivor' and will be hosted by actor Joe Manganiello. Certainly quite the departure from the original cosy studio version.

www.nbc.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Happy2001

(14-01-2024, 04:51 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  I'm seeing this pulgged by NBC on the NFL coverage. A whole new version of Deal or No Deal they are about to air: Deal or No Deal Island. It has been described as 'Deal or No Deal meet Survivor' and will be hosted by actor Joe Manganiello. Certainly quite the departure from the original cosy studio version.

www.nbc.com 

This will be another NBC failure I feel - they have a habit of doing this, taking a format and ruining it even more. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Something NBC forgets a lot, you only have to look at their treatment of the Tonight Show in the 1990s and in 2009/10.