Deal Or No Deal

(22-11-2022, 03:06 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(22-11-2022, 01:55 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Is the studio for DOND in Media City a much bigger space than the one provided in Bristol?
Presumably depending on if they book a bigger studio. There is no reason reason for them to record it in Bristol though, the reason it was recorded there originally is because Endemol  owned the studio there, which was later sold to what I think was then known BBC Studios and Post Production. A couple of years before the end of its run it moved to The Bottle Yard which was a little more out of the city, which tends to be used more for fiction and of course was used for the revival of The Crystal Maze. AFAIK Tipping Point also still comes from the Bottle Yard after moving there some years ago.

I think Bristol was also the most convenient place for Edmonds.

Yes, the original studio was at the Paintworks, which was near the Temple Meads railway station. Always found it odd how BBC Studios & PP owned the studio there (was it even used for anything else?)! I agree that I seem to remember it was Bristol being a location convenient for Edmonds was why it was in Bristol in the first place.

When it moved to The Bottle Yard I took part in a technical rehearsal day and participated in two run-throughs of fake game with a contestant in the chair (one of the producer's daughters, I think). It wasn't at all a big studio space and with an inconveniently sited structural pillar, masked out well by the camera angles. I'm sure even the smallest of purpose-built TV studios will be and look larger!
[-] The following 2 users Like JamieD's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990

I think they used to film 'Brainteaser' at the Paintworks too and in the early days Alex Lovell used to provide the competition voiceover for Deal Or No Deal!

I never visited the 'Dream Factory' until it moved to the Bottle Yard which is about 5 miles out from Temple Meads, but you got to be a 'pilgrim' for a couple of shows and on my particular day they even invited us to stay for a couple more afternoon recordings too as they were a bit short on audience members!

Mark Olver is a local Bristol lad but seems to have moved on to doing a lot of warm up himself at MediaCity these days!
[-] The following 3 users Like Johnr's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, JamieD

As I said the Paintworks facility was originally owned by Endemol but later sold BBC Studios and Post Production. As Johnr says Brainteaser and one or two other short running Channel 5 live daytime quizzes came from there, IIRC there was one called Memory Bank which shared its presenters with Brainteaser. Les Dennis’s In the Grid another Channel 5 Endemol format came from there. I think the Gala bingo channel came from there at one point too.

Apparently there was some E4 reality shows made there prior to DOND too.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • bkman1990, JamieD

(27-11-2022, 10:49 PM)Jon Wrote:  As I said the Paintworks facility was originally owned by Endemol but later sold BBC Studios and Post Production. As Johnr says Brainteaser and one or two other short running Channel 5 live daytime quizzes came from there, IIRC there was one called Memory Bank which shared its presenters with Brainteaser. Les Dennis’s In the Grid another Channel 5 Endemol format came from there. I think the Gala bingo channel came from there at one point too.

Apparently there was some E4 reality shows made there prior to DOND too.
That would be fool around with… 3 girls/guys live with 1 girl/guy and the single person has to guess the single person

I really liked Deal or No Deal as a kid/teen. I was usually watching Channel 4 most afternoons, as I waited for my food to cook, or more often, waiting to watch The Simpsons. I did feel the show was starting to lose its lustre, and that little Noely's (D&DITB reference there) eccentricities didn't help. Stephen Mulhern is a fine presenter, but I wouldn't want to see him host Deal or No Deal. I feel like it needs someone a little less energetic. I also believe that it needs to avoid being gimmicky. The original format of DoND lasted 8-9 years, and it was only in 2014, when the gimmicks were added, that it lost some of the lustre, as I already said.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • bkman1990, callumwatchestelly

Did nothing come out about the pilots of the show that were recorded in November? Not even who the host was?

There was audience tickets made available but I've seen nothing posted about it.

Confirmation of return of the show with Stephen Mulhern.

Pilots went well, its seemingly unchanged and they've ordered 20 shows initially.

www.mirror.co.uk 

Not mentioned in the article, but I imagine a 20 episode order means it's for weekday afternoons then? Spread across 4 weeks.

20 seems too many for it to land in the early evening weekend slot?

The article states:

"Made famous on Channel 4 with Noel Edmonds as host between 2005 and 2016, it will run across a month in daytime later this year."

Therefore, one can only assume it'll be four consecutive weeks of episodes every Monday to Friday.

They could try it at 5pm and give The Chase a bit of a break.