BBC Radio 1

Like so many clickbait stories in there that story has absolutely no new verified information at all.

More programme changes have been announced at Radio 1 today (twitter.com )

- Matt and Mollie are moving to weekday afternoons in the current Dean & Vicky slot
- Dean McCullough will be moving to Early Breakfast replacing Arielle Free
- Arielle will be presenting a new dance show on Thursday evenings
- Katie Thistleton moves from her weekend mid-morning show to drive where she is joining Vick Hope & Jamie Laing.
- Vicky and Nat O'Leary to take Katie's current slot in July, Danny Beard will be looking after that slot from March until July.

This seems to be a move in the right direction, particularly with Matt & Mollie and Katie Thistleton. They appear to have listened to the criticisms of the past two weeks, as they are actual radio presenters who worked their way up. Matt & Mollie particularly have been a fixture of Radio 1 for years but seem to have always been passed up for a weekday daytime slot before now. Dean seems next in line for Breakfast which is probably why they have put him onto the early breakfast slot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ACTV's post:
  • DJ Dave

Some more changes, no doubt the main change being in light of the public reaction.…

Katie Thistleton is now joining Going Home, making a trio alongside Vick and Jamie
x.com 

To fill Katie's Friday/Saturday mid morning slot, Drag Race UK winner Danny Beard is temporarily presenting…

Then from July:
- Matt & Mollie move from weekends to take over the afternoon show (currently hosted by Dean & Vicky…)
- Dean McCullough is taking over Early Breakfast, which is moving to Salford
- Vicky Hawkesorth is joining Nat O'Leary to co-host the weekend mid morning show…
- Arielle Free moves from Early Breakfast to a new 8pm Dance Show on Thursdays, starting in April

Thrilled for Matt & Mollie, it's a fantastic show. Probably should've happened a few years back. I'm excited for Matt Edmondson finally getting the step up to weekdays. He’s played the looooooonnnnng game there - as he has been on weekends since 2013! Only 1 extra hour a week for them though, when you do the maths!

The addition of Katie may just keep me listening to Going Home, as I was prepared to give the show a swerve with Jamie. I don't quite understand why he is needed, as they could've had a strong female duo... almost feels like Jamie was a rush decision and after initial reaction, they've amended it to this?

Can’t help but feel a little bit sad for Dean. Moving to Earlies is a definite demotion, but he was arguably promoted too quickly and this is the result of that. Vicky & Nat presumably ends that slot being a weekday feeder for now, as the previous hosts have been Jordan, Dean & Katie.
[-] The following 5 users Like Ash101's post:
  • AndrewP, DJ Dave, Frances, Toby brown, TVfan23

Feels like a demotion for Dean - arguably the stations biggest rising star. Guess he becomes the main cover for Greg. Adding Katie to Drive is wise but keeping Jamie is just saving face.

Nat and Vicky work well together so that's a good move. No replacement announced for Matt and Mollie then - thought it might be Sam and Dani. I somewhat get moving them to weekdays, but also thought they were heading towards the end of their R1 lifespan.

This feels a bit like a panic move after Jordan quit rather than a well thought through rejig. Indeed makes it even more annoying they didn't give Jordan the time for an on air farewell and then announced these changes in one go.

I wonder if Sam & Danni might end up on Fri/Sat/Sun 1-4pm with maybe a new solo presenter coming in for Weekend Breakfast. They could still do it from Cardiff to..

(28-02-2024, 11:25 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Feels like a demotion for Dean - arguably the stations biggest rising star. Guess he becomes the main cover for Greg. Adding Katie to Drive is wise but keeping Jamie is just saving face.

Nat and Vicky work well together so that's a good move.

Seems like a demotion for Vicky, too - especially after working her way up from community radio (Bolton FM) via some off-peak work for Radio Manchester and production for some of the commercial stations.

It was always going to be tough to be the first to follow Scott and Chris, mind.
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • DJ Dave, Toby brown

Thank god for these changes. I was really starting to stop listening to R1 during daytime. Early Breakfast is a massive demotion for Dean. Thankfully Aled didn't stick with something that wasn't working. In the pecking order, EB seems to rank below the weekend daytime shows, which is what Dean had previously.

I agree with a lot of what other posters have said

-Arielle leaving early breakfast doesn't seem all that surprising. She does well with her DJ career and her future is clearly with the Radio 1 Dance shows. There's not much detail on her new Thursday night show and how it will offer anything different to the existing dance shows. It wouldn't surprise me if she's a big part of the enhanced Radio 1 Dance Station if and when that launches. I could see her eventually ending up on Friday nights.

-Matt & Mollie are the biggest winners in these changes. I thought their chance to move to weekday daytimes had long gone, but it makes sense to have your strongest line up on weekdays. As mentioned by another poster, Matt has been on weekends since 2013 (and at Radio 1 since 2010)

-Katie Thistleton should've been announced as Jordan's replacement in the first place, in my opinion. It seems like they've took note of the negative reaction to Jamie being announced as Jordan's replacement.

-Dean & Vicky on afternoons just hasn't worked, sadly and the bosses have clearly realised this. They both seem okay standalone or paired with other people. They were parachuted onto daytimes way too quickly. I suppose it's a demotion for both, but Dean will probably become the main breakfast show stand in now.

Weekend afternoons haven't been announced so that's up for grabs. I would say move Sam & Danni up from weekend breakfast, and bring in a new host for weekend breakfast, but would they want to change that slot so soon?
[-] The following 1 user Likes TVfan23's post:
  • Toby brown

(28-02-2024, 01:11 PM)TVfan23 Wrote:  -Katie Thistleton should've been announced as Jordan's replacement in the first place, in my opinion. It seems like they've took note of the negative reaction to Jamie being announced as Jordan's replacement.
It does feel slightly usual to announce a new presenter pairing, and then add to it a week or so later.

It may possibly be that they simply hadn't finalised an agreement with her / her agent, but were keen to get a press release out asap to announce Jordan's departure and those already confirmed as replacing him. Alternatively, as others have suggested Katie may have been added afterwards, in response to the initial feedback.

Given that the drivetime changes take effect next week it'll be interesting to see if all three presenters are still in this timeslot come September. It wouldn't be entirely surprising if in six month's time Radio 1 suddenly announce that one of them is 'leaving drivetime to host their own weekly show'. That or another departure to a rival radio station will force another reshuffle.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • UTVLifer