BBC Radio 1

I think this is a great idea for radio 1. I know that working in local radio !just be hard at the moment but why are some local radio staff having a go at radio 1 for doing this do hunt some are saying it's bad taste but I generally don't see why they think that I just think it's a fun idea
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toby brown's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(20-07-2023, 04:51 PM)Toby brown Wrote:  I think this is a great idea for radio 1. I know that working in local radio !just be hard at the moment but why are some local radio staff having a go at radio 1 for doing this do hunt some are saying it's bad taste but I generally don't see why they think that I just think it's a fun idea

I think it's a great way of highlighting that there are BBC radio stations across the UK, something that the core Radio 1 audience might not be aware of.
[-] The following 3 users Like NickyBoy's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, Roger Darthwell

Definitely enjoying it. I think one of the (somewhat minor) flaws of the previous events is that it felt a bit centred on Greg James/Scott Mills whereas this one is more synergetic and more cohesive with the whole Radio 1 team.

Obviously this isn't won't have been as chaotic as we think with the coordinated posting times (although it would have been funny seeing all 30* presenters posting on their Instagram stories at the same time and just praying for the best) and I presume this will all be finished just before 12pm to the relief of Greg James, but it has been nice and I think that viewer interaction definitely helps to bring it all together.

*30 presenters were on the list but a few, like Annie Nightingale, were "found" via voice notes by artists on Zoom calls: twitter.com 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • BBI45

(20-07-2023, 04:54 PM)NickyBoy Wrote:  I think it's a great way of highlighting that there are BBC radio stations across the UK, something that the core Radio 1 audience might not be aware of.

Well, not sure that the Isle of Wight escapade helped that cause - the shopping centre they were hiding at was a 10 minute walk from Radio Solent by all accounts!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

I am really enjoying this. The suspense, the drama and the all-out chaos - I LOVE IT! And I've been recording snippets of the hunt for me to watch back on. Let's hope the 2 DJs are found and Radio 1 does not go off air (though I have my recorder ready if they do go off air..)

Even though it’s suggested which DJs are found at what time is all random, and then what shows they get assigned to once found is also decided by Greg there and then, I imagine this isn’t the case.

Finding up and coming future stars Sam and Danni early doors so they could get good use out of the Isle of Wight OB unit and allocating them to a main daytime slot was obviously nicely planned!

I also often wonder if some texts are suppressed to stop the clues going too fast, although this probably applies to most text in features on radio.

Still it’s good radio and it’s worked really well
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Brekkie, insert_good_username_here

Absolutely
(20-07-2023, 10:20 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I also often wonder if some texts are suppressed to stop the clues going too fast, although this probably applies to most text in features on radio.

Absolutely, you only have to look at Jordan North, the vast majority of us on the Twitter hashtag worked out he was in Spain and posted pictures of his hiding location yesterday, but it was only picked up today once Vick Hope came on air, she acknowledged that we had been saying so but said "we just listened to the wrong people" or words to that effect.

But yes, it's all a fun piece of radio, and I certainly tune it when the events like these happen. reminds me that sometimes I should choose to listen to the radio over binging the same podcast again.
[-] The following 7 users Like PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • AndrewP, Frances, insert_good_username_here, Josh, LargelyALurker, UTVLifer, what

Would be good if they could do something that encouraged similar engagement for the telethon- certainly Comic Relief. They usually do some Radio 1 challenge a few weeks ahead of it but then barely acknowledge Red Nose Day itself.

It's the viewer engagement which has made this work so well - feels it's more about the audience than the DJs.

So Radio 1 has been yanked off air:

[Image: 2023-07-21_12h01_30.png]

I've recorded the last few minutes of Radio 1:

up.metropol247.co.uk 

(Maybe they did this on purpose to gain more engagement on the DJ Hunt?)

Anyways, goodbye Radio 1.

UPDATE: as soon as I hit post, Radio 1 is back on air!!
[-] The following 5 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • BBCChameleonFan, Brekkie, insert_good_username_here, Josh, Toby brown

(21-07-2023, 12:08 PM)TVenthusiasm Wrote:  (Maybe they did this on purpose to gain more engagement on the DJ Hunt?)

Bless you, the whole thing is on purpose! It's all planned. But yes, good fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joe's post:
  • dbl