BBC Radio 1

I think it was obviously panic stations following the negative reaction to Jamie, you don’t announce a line up and then announce a different line up before the new show even launches

There were also obviously panicking that the entire afternoon would lose listeners with Dean and Vicky before hand so have changed that as well. It’s about time for Matt and Mollie to be on weekdays, I think Jordan leaving has now extended Matt’s time on Radio 1 as many thought he’d be on his way out soon

What’s funny is that they are spinning it as good news for Dean as he is getting his own show. It’s clearly a demotion, although he was promoted ridiculously quickly previously.
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, DJ Dave, UTVLifer

(28-02-2024, 02:10 PM)Andrew Wrote:  What’s funny is that they are spinning it as good news for Dean as he is getting his own show. It’s clearly a demotion, although he was promoted ridiculously quickly previously.

That's definitely a factor here... his rise was insanely quick compared to someone like Jordan North. Where does he go after Early Breakfast? It's been YEARS since Radio 1 had someone rise from that slot (I think Greg James?) as since then Dev, Gemma, Adele, Arielle have all moved off to weekends/been binned.

Kudos to Radio 1 for addressing an issue with Dean & Vicky and not just sticking with them 'just because' or even moving them off together elsewhere in the schedule.

Is this the first time in about 20 years that Radio 1 have admitted defeat on a show? I cannot seem to remember anyone else moving off a daytime slot without leaving/getting a bigger show/having done it for a considerable amount of time? Obvious Simon & Jo over on Radio 2 springs to mind, but that broke off because he decided to leave...

One possible issue with Katie Thistleton is she usually hosts from Salford, even when co-hosting with Vick, so will be interesting to see if that remains the case because as well as a demotion for Dean it feels like moving the Salford output from mid-afternoon to early breakfast is just playing lip service to it too.

I don't know what their figures were like but I do think Dean's star rose quickly because it deserved too. I've never been as convinced about Vicky and do think Nat O'Leary is generally better, but also think both Dean and Vicky work better with Nat and Dean probably worked better on his own so other than the time slot for Dean it's a sensible move. Personally though I'd say Rickie, Melvin and Charlie are the weak link of the daytime now - always felt their show would sit better in the 1pm slot. Still not convince either how in this era of cost cutting we seem to have multiple shows with multiple hosts now - some shows benefit from it, others don't.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • fanoftv

(28-02-2024, 04:23 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  One possible issue with Katie Thistleton is she usually hosts from Salford, even when co-hosting with Vick, so will be interesting to see if that remains the case because as well as a demotion for Dean it feels like moving the Salford output from mid-afternoon to early breakfast is just playing lip service to it too.

She's posting on social media for advice about moving to London, so presumably that's happening...

I do agree about the Salford issue. It's hardly a good look for both Radio 1 and Radio 2 to have the 'out of London' quotas filled by Early Breakfast (Salford for R1, Cardiff for R2) and Overnights on R2 from Salford.
However, Radio 1 do seem to make more of an effort on this than Radio 2...as they also have Weekend Breakfast from Cardiff & Weekend mid-mornings (and Sunday afternoons) from Salford.
[-] The following 4 users Like Ash101's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

(28-02-2024, 04:39 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  She's posting on social media for advice about moving to London, so presumably that's happening...

I do agree about the Salford issue. It's hardly a good look for both Radio 1 and Radio 2 to have the 'out of London' quotas filled by Early Breakfast (Salford for R1, Cardiff for R2) and Overnights on R2 from Salford.
However, Radio 1 do seem to make more of an effort on this than Radio 2...as they also have Weekend Breakfast from Cardiff & Weekend mid-mornings (and Sunday afternoons) from Salford.
I wonder if there's an element of radio studio sharing being factored in to the decision. I believe that 1-4pm on 6Music normally comes from Salford, I'm not sure what else does. I've no idea what other 6Music shows come from Salford, however it wouldn't surprise me if Radio 1 and/or 2 may be utilising these studios.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

I am a Brummie so I am biased but why always Salford and make such a song and dance that something is moving to Salford? Birmingham is the youngest city in the UK. Surely a few shows could come from the base there considering it's target audience. Outside of London shouldn't mean 'Move it to our second base up North'.

Has Newsbeat moved to Birmingham yet?

Yes, think they started broadcasting from the Mailbox towards the end of 2022

(28-02-2024, 05:49 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Has Newsbeat moved to Birmingham yet?

Yeah happened in 2022.

Asian Network & 1Xtra do broadcast some shows from there.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ash101's post:
  • Brekkie, J102B

(28-02-2024, 04:39 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  She's posting on social media for advice about moving to London, so presumably that's happening...

Presumably Sunday afternoons will be from London in the near future unless Katie and Vick are moving on from that slot.