BBC Radio 1

Well handled by Charlie. Arielle Free's Lisa I'Anson moment?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omnipresent's post:
  • Toby brown

Does anyone have a clip of it?

I kissed a gull and I liked it!

(31-07-2023, 09:47 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  Does anyone have a clip of it?

twitter.com 

Surprisingly, still up on Sounds too. Not sure for how much longer though.
[-] The following 2 users Like what's post:
  • AndrewP, BBI45

There is a fine line between pretending you are having as much fun as those in attendance but in reality being stone cold sober, and actually having as much fun. It seems Arielle may have been on the wrong side of that line

There have been DJs in the past who have sounded hungover the morning after the night before, but she sounded off her face there and then on air, which is obviously not allowed
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • what

I don’t think it sounds too bad tbh, presumably she was removed from the studio before things got worse. Questions do have to be asked of who let her go on air in the first place, unless it was a scheduled appearance.

Doubt this will lead to anything more than a slap on the wrist.

It kind of sums up music radio that a presenter gets in trouble for having an opinion on music.
[-] The following 3 users Like Nobby's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, Brekkie

(31-07-2023, 10:59 PM)Nobby Wrote:  It kind of sums up music radio that a presenter gets in trouble for having an opinion on music.

In the past DJs would criticise records on the playlist and years ago it was quite routine for presenters to criticise other DJs on air. 

These days Radio 1 is very keen to present itself as a "family".  I suspect if Arielle was in a more coherent state, Charlie could have laughed the comment off but she could clearly see the situation could not be salvaged.
[-] The following 3 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, benzj

Arielle is clearly sloshed and shouldn't have been put on air, but I'm pretty sure it didn't need to be announced on air "I'm turning your mic off" - just turn her mic off and introduce the next record and it saves embarrasment for everyone involved.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 4 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, orange, Spencer, UTVLifer

Charlie handled that well, but I think she also understood that Arielle was clearly unfit to broadcast and found a way out to get her off-air and end the link as fast as possible.

(01-08-2023, 12:05 AM)London Lite Wrote:  Charlie handled that well, but I think she also understood that Arielle was clearly unfit to broadcast and found a way out to get her off-air and end the link as fast as possible.
It wasn’t handled well at all, although I accept it’s difficult to deal with something like that on the fly. But she should have laughed it off and quietly faded her out instead of telling her colleague off.
[-] The following 6 users Like Jon's post:
  • AndrewP, Jeff, Nobby, Otis Crump, Spencer, UTVLifer